The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chriswuk

Also I refer you back to what I said earlier about there being some key characteristics which are unquantifiable and could've played a big role in Gary's choice.

And I will refer you back to the point where I stated that means sweet F all when looking at comparisons because I can say the exact same thing about every CB with better stats than him . It is subjective view that cannot be measured. You saying 'he does x which means he can be called second best' is just as irrelevant as me saying 'Evans does x so he is second best'.

His choice is his choice. CHoices will differ. I am looking it at completely objectively
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3921
Original post by Tommyjw
He is a better passer of the ball, by fact. It is literal objective fact that cannot be disputed (from when I saw this mentioned) . This is one statistic. Now what is different from that example to the CB one is that Xavi will reign supreme on many , many other stats. Colo simply doesn't for the majority of them.

It's not my fault you get all buthurt by facts.

Please quote me where I stated statistics are everything, because I distinctly remember saying the exact opposite, but I'll let you have your fun and attempt to justify your post of putting words in my mouth :smile:

No, they're statistics that you seem unable to put into context. Mike Williamson has made team of the week on ESPN a few times recently based on stats whereas anyone who watched those games would tell you he was nothing but a liability.

Stick to your statbook and let other people worry about actually watching the games :yy:
Original post by mau5
No, they're statistics that you seem unable to put into context. Mike Williamson has made team of the week on ESPN a few times recently based on stats whereas anyone who watched those games would tell you he was nothing but a liability.

Stick to your statbook and let other people worry about actually watching the games :yy:

Yep, definitely a butthurt fan who can't take simple facts without getting overly defensive when it isn't needed. Bless
Reply 3923
Danny Simpson was statisically the best right back in the league this season according to Opta..... Enough said about the matter ay?
Reply 3924
Original post by Tommyjw
Yep, definitely a butthurt fan who can't take simple facts without getting overly defensive when it isn't needed. Bless

We see our team and Colla in person and watching his every move not on match of the day no doubt where you get your views from.

Colla has been better than every cb in the league this season except Kompany. I'm still waiting on you to name a better one.
Original post by Vintage

Colla has been better than every cb in the league this season except Kompany. I'm still waiting on you to name a better one.

I have watched every United game and its very clear Evans is the second best CB in the league.*

*These are not my actual views they are a pisstake of how incredibly little your view matters in an objective sense

Name a better one?

Statistically. Evans, Rio, Vorm, Kosc, Kompany, Skrtel, Terry, Lescott. Etc I could go on really.

Yep, thats right kiddo, im looking at it objectively. The only real way to compare players other than using a fans subjective way of their player being the best which funnily enough doesnt matter for my discussion . If you want to talk about it subjectively, go quote someone else about it, dont quote the guy that literally states he is only looking at it statistically, it makes you look a bit silly.

Now.. as some of you less intelligent minded Newcastle fans obviously get a bit annoyed by facts that go against your players and dont really like to actually read what ive said ill start from the beginning.

1. Colocinni is statistically not even close to being 2nd best CB this season. Several if not all of his statistics cannot be put down to the team around him, they are individual performance related statistics and he performs badly

2. Statistics dont show everything, (i have said this but somehow people still fail to understand what i type and imply/say i believe this) but they certainly show a lot, and statistics are the only thing i have mentioned.

3. I have not stated i think Colo is a bad CB

4. I have not stated anything about subjectivity. From the very beginning, literally the very beginning, my whole point has been about statistically, objectively, things you can measure. Never have i stated "Colo is also crap on things we cannot measure". Never have i stated "Ignore statistics, Colo is a bad CB". Have i said anything of the sort? Nope. So to try and dispute my arguments in the form of your subjective opinions means you fail as a person.

5. I have not stated i think Colo is a bad CB
Had to say it twice, because some of these guys seem to like making things up.

Well, thats me done, thought id have some normal debate tbh. If a Newcastle fan came in to the United thread and said statistically Colo has been better than Rio and mentions nothing about subjective measurements, well id just take it as it is because that would be fact, unfortunately River seemed to be the only person who could get involved without attemping to put words in my mouth, imply i said things i never did, skew the argument away from the only points i was trying to make etc. Have a nice day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3926
Original post by Tommyjw
Nope, I don't. If you think he is the 2nd best CB this season then you need to watch more of multiple other teams. His stats are frankly rather bad, and it has nothing to do with excuses about people around him at all as they are individual stats

I read last week that statistically Danny Simpson is the best RB in the league. I can tell you, he is not. Stats do not mean that much
Original post by sqwerty
I read last week that statistically Danny Simpson is the best RB in the league. I can tell you, he is not. Stats do not mean that much

Oh look, another person who cant read.
Original post by Tommyjw
overly defensive when it isn't needed. Bless

:rolleyes:
Reports that Pardew has required enquired about Sigurdsson. What do yous all think? He'd be a great addition IMO, has scored 7 goals for Swansea (where he is on loan) this season.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3930
I'm just incredulous at how anyone can possibly say Evans is better than Colo :lolwut:

:nooo:

I think we're going to have to wait and see where we finish before talking about summer targets to be honest...

Sigurdsson would be a decent signing I guess, but he would cost quite a bit.
I'm just incredulous at how anyone can possibly say Evans is better than Colo :lolwut:

Prove to me that he isnt.
Reply 3932
I think Evans already has one of those reputations where it will be almost impossible for him to ever be accounted a very good defender. Sadly, probably the only way he will be is if he starts scoring goals :facepalm2:
Reply 3933
Reports have emerged that Newcastle United remain in the hunt for Guingamp striker Anthony Knockaert.

The highly-rated 20-year-old has been impressing for Guingamp in the French second tier and has been tipped to leave this summer.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, who has had huge success with his French imports this season, has been linked with Knockaert, who has scored eight goals this term.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3934
Original post by Mess.
I think Evans already has one of those reputations where it will be almost impossible for him to ever be accounted a very good defender. Sadly, probably the only way he will be is if he starts scoring goals :facepalm2:
This may well be true. If you look like a donkey in your early years, then showing you're actually pretty decent won't be enough to convince some people. Even Colo didn't help himself with a poor first season in the Premier League.

Then again, a fair few people nowadays seem to think Darren Fletcher is a really good centre-mid. I have to be honest and say I haven't watched him play much, but aside from the odd goal, he's never impressed me...
Why is everyone getting wound up about this. Guys, it's pretty clear that they are having great seasons, but yes, in my opinion Evans is better than Coloccini. Monster in the air, plays some of these Scholes-esque passes...
Reply 3936
Original post by Karma Charger
Why is everyone getting wound up about this. Guys, it's pretty clear that they are having great seasons, but yes, in my opinion Evans is better than Coloccini. Monster in the air, plays some of these Scholes-esque passes...
I responded because I'm not convinced Evans is better than Coloccini. But to be honest, it doesn't matter! Who cares if people don't think our centre-back is (one of) the best in the league? The competition we're involved in is the Premier League, not "who is the best centre-back in the league?". And we're 5th out of 20 in that league - not bad! What's most important about such players is their contribution to their own team, and like just about every Newcastle fan, I'm of the opinion Coloccini has been excellent for the past three seasons.

As for Evans, well we could be wrong about him just as fans of other clubs could be wrong about Coloccini. We all think we know so much about other clubs, their players, their fans, when in reality we don't know nearly as much as they do (and vice-versa of course). If a Man Utd fan thinks Evans is one of the league's best centre-backs, it wouldn't be wrong to speculate they may be showing bias towards their own player. However, they may have also watched him play a lot more and built up a good idea of his ability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KingGoonIan
Stuff

Yup, that's the car I saw alright :smile: He was looking very fly.
Reply 3938
Original post by Tommyjw
I have watched every United game and its very clear Evans is the second best CB in the league.*

*These are not my actual views they are a pisstake of how incredibly little your view matters in an objective sense

Name a better one?

Statistically. Evans, Rio, Vorm, Kosc, Kompany, Skrtel, Terry, Lescott. Etc I could go on really.

Rio has missed a large majority of the season through injury.

Evans is nowhere near as good as you say,

Kosc has been injured to much this season, I agreed with Kompany. Skrtel has been good i'd place him in 3rd for this season. Terry is a dickhead and has been injured to much again. Aswell as not actually playing that well this season.

Lescott? :lol:

And Vorm is a goalkeeper you twit.
Original post by Vintage
Rio has missed a large majority of the season through injury.

Evans is nowhere near as good as you say,

Kosc has been injured to much this season, I agreed with Kompany. Skrtel has been good i'd place him in 3rd for this season. Terry is a dickhead and has been injured to much again. Aswell as not actually playing that well this season.

Lescott? :lol:

And Vorm is a goalkeeper you twit.

Koscielny hasn't been injured at all this season:lolwut:

He's been the only consistency in an ever-changing defence.

Latest