The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingGoonIan
Anyone else glad we got rid of Barton?

:facepalm2:

His sending off was eerily similar to when he got sent off against Liverpool for us (just by the timing, not the manner). Could have cost his side a place in the Premier League.
Reply 4721
Just to comment on the game: Williamson is **** can't wait to replace him, marveaux looked good, cisse and Ba played awful, Ben Arfa was being incredibly greedyand Tiote had a mare. Dire performance but got to look at the bigger picture 5th!!!!!!!
Original post by Parano!d
Absolutely, I reckon next season will be even better :smile:

Maybe? Maybe not. I'm not a Newcastle fan and would rather spend the time thinking about my own team tbh.

But if they keep the players they've got then maintaining a top six finish is still realistic. But, still, we'll see next season. There's a long summer to go yet.
Reply 4723
Original post by Karma Charger
Your life must be very sad if you sit behind a computer trying to wind up people over the internet. I feel sorry for you.

You know what, it's the end of the season and you can at least take some joy in knowing that you won't be hearing from me until August when I next see how Newcastle are doing in the league.

But even if you deem me a "troll", I am entitled to my opinion, and you assume it's as if no other team on this forum gets some stick from other fans.

Enjoy the success of your season, you've overachieved and done it well. There are some talented individuals in your squad, I just hope for your sake you won't lose any of them this summer.
Happy to have finished 5th :yep:
Reply 4725
Original post by River85
Maybe? Maybe not. I'm not a Newcastle fan and would rather spend the time thinking about my own team tbh.

But if they keep the players they've got then maintaining a top six finish is still realistic. But, still, we'll see next season. There's a long summer to go yet.

Perhaps, but we all recognise favouritism when we see it.

I think they'll definitely finish in the top half, but i'd be surprised if they get fifth again.
Reply 4726
Enjoy the Europa League next season chaps, been a great season for you lot really
Reply 4727

I think they'll definitely finish in the top half, but i'd be surprised if they get fifth again.

why are still here? **** off you **** you sad bastard who the **** do you support absolute ****ers like you make this forum unbearable sometimes.
You lot enjoy Europa League, make a good fist of it.
Reply 4729
Original post by TM94
why are still here? **** off you **** you sad bastard who the **** do you support absolute ****ers like you make this forum unbearable sometimes.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way but that's my opinion and I have a right to share it. Until Newcastle prove me wrong I stand by it.
Please ignore Paranoid he is a troll folks. Don't talk to him or mention him and he'll leave.

Would you therefore be willing to contend that Newcastle's 19 point improvement from last season is purely down to luck?

Because if you compare this season from last season;

UTD = +9
city = +18
chelsea = -7
arse = +2
spuds = +7
newcastle = +19
everton = +2
liverpool = -6
fulham = +3
villa = -10
sunderland = -2
west brom = 0
stoke = -1
wigan = +1
blackburn = -12
wolves = -15
bolton = -10
qpr = [promotion]
norwich = [promotion]
swansea = [promotion]

So clearly the biggest gainers for this season were newcastle!!!!

If we aim to improve on this then I could certainly see us getting about 65 points next season also (with a variance of about 5 each way).
Congratulations on a great season for you guys, hopefully you keep a hold of the better performers for next year. Will the club take the EL seriously?
Feel bad for saying this, but we should try and snap up players from relegated teams ASAP. I have my eye on Lee, Holden and Hoilett in particular.
Reply 4734
Marveaux looked promising but other than that Cabaye pushing the ballboy over was probably the only highlight of the game, mainly for the over the top reactions it got.
Reply 4735
I am absolutely delighted with this season. It has been the best season for me in my living memory.

Can't wait for Europa League!!!
Original post by mau5
Marveaux looked promising but other than that Cabaye pushing the ballboy over was probably the only highlight of the game, mainly for the over the top reactions it got.

Fewer things better in football than an angry Goodison. Glad he contributed. As well as Pardew running on he pitch to appeal a decision.

Who'll finish higher next season? Newcastle or Everton?

Complicated. Approaching my teens they were the closest rivals to the title for a couple of seasons (1995-1997) and also had a strong team under Robson in the early 00s with minor title challenges, including a damaging league defeat in 2001. Due to my location this resulted in quite a strong rivalry with friends and acquaintances.

But they are my nearest PL team (I am from the Tyne Valley, about 8 miles from Newcastle) so they are my local PL team and I think Newcastle is a fantastic city so I enjoy them doing well. I won't say why I support Manchester United, and not Newcastle, as it's not relevant here and I don't feel the need to defend my choice. I will say that though I identified strongly with Northumberland growing up, I spent little time in Newcastle and have no more connections to the city than I do Manchester.

Again maybe, maybe not. It's only the final day of the season so it's far too early for predctions. They do need to strengthen their squad to cope with both European football and the league campaign so I'm not preprared to make predictions until the transfer window is closed.

I don't see what's so unbelievable about being able to challenge for European places regularly. They used to during much of the 90s through to 2007, they have a good manager, and hopefully in far better financial situation that they were a number of seasons ago.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind talking via PM about this but not on the Soc any more so byes for now :hat2:

Original post by NR09
I am absolutely delighted with this season. It has been the best season for me in my living memory.Can't wait for Europa League!!!

Makes me feel old. Stop it :p:
Reply 4738
Original post by River85

Makes me feel old. Stop it :p:

Well my earliest memory as a Newcastle fan is of us beating Real Mallorca in the Uefa Cup to go through to the semi's, but this is the best in terms of a full season that I can remember :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Well, what a season! We couldn't have asked for any more really. Would have been nice to sign off with a win but hey-ho.

As a side note, I really hope I see us win the league one day. :moon:

Latest