The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree that there's bias towards the 'big' clubs when picking players (Carroll/Downing - are you having a laugh!?) but to be frank the only player we have who should be in the England team has been injured the whole season.
wasn't the norwich keeper called up? I hardly think that they are discriminating against the smaller teams, it just so happens that the best players play for the best teams :confused: And even if that isn't the case, it is hard to pick players based on blind faith over international experience.
Reply 4802
We have no England international quality players apart from possibly S.Taylor

So we will all just have to support France instead, its the right thing to do... :yy: :france:
Original post by Stevo112
wasn't the norwich keeper called up? I hardly think that they are discriminating against the smaller teams, it just so happens that the best players play for the best teams :confused: And even if that isn't the case, it is hard to pick players based on blind faith over international experience.

The norwich keeper was picked because our goalkeeping situation is laughable. The 4th choice goalkeeper is Jack Butland if the name means anything to you. On that note, I think even Forster deserves a mention for being the 4th Goalie. You can't deny that there's Liverpool bias in the selections and in doing so bias against the smaller clubs (Crouch > Carroll anyday - his goalscoring record for England is insane). The only players that deserve to be there from Liverpool are Johnson (as backup to Micah Richards imo..) and Gerrard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TM94
We have no England international quality players apart from possibly S.Taylor

So we will all just have to support France instead, its the right thing to do... :yy: :france:

Senegal world cup 2014

cuz cissé and ba up front :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
The youth academy situation is good, though. We'll definitely be seeing some English youngsters coming up through the system and finding a spot in the squad soon. This Geordie ginger in particular is worth watching in the coming years. We've all seen how much the scouting system has improved in recent years... only natural that it would continue through the lower ranks too, even though the rewards for those findings will be realized a little later down the road.
Reply 4806
Original post by Chriswuk
On that note, I think even Forster deserves a mention for being the 4th Goalie.

Great shout.
Why do people forget Newcastle played in the Champions League in 1997-1998? It does puzzle me.

Anyone who watches Pointless, the BBC game show on an early evening, will have noticed Monday had "British teams who've qualified for the Champions League" as a round. Apparently, according to the co-presenter, Newcastle have only played in the Champions League once and that was in 2002 :facepalm:

Only 11 of the 100 people surveyed said Newcastle, but that still places you above Rangers, Celtic and Blackburn :p: Contestant only went for it as she's from Whitley Bay. I don't think she follows football.
Reply 4808
Original post by River85
Why do people forget Newcastle played in the Champions League in 1997-1998? It does puzzle me.

Anyone who watches Pointless, the BBC game show on an early evening, will have noticed Monday had "British teams who've qualified for the Champions League" as a round. Apparently, according to the co-presenter, Newcastle have only played in the Champions League once and that was in 2002 :facepalm:

Only 11 of the 100 people surveyed said Newcastle, but that still places you above Rangers, Celtic and Blackburn :p: Contestant only went for it as she's from Whitley Bay. I don't think she follows football.

Was there a pointless answer though? :coma:
Original post by Vintage
Was there a pointless answer though? :coma:

Blackburn were lowest with four, I think. Their one Champions League season only memorable for Batty and Le Saux having a fight on the pitch :p:

I still remember Batty attempting to choke Butt during Newcastle's 5-0 win against Manchester United at St James'.

Spoiler

Manchester United were unsuprisingly the top answer but only scored 59, I think :s-smilie:
Anybody else happy that Owen's career has gone completely down the drain?
Reply 4811
Original post by TCD23
Anybody else happy that Owen's career has gone completely down the drain?

I wonder if he'll release another brochure? :redface:

Original post by River85
Blackburn were lowest with four, I think. Their one Champions League season only memorable for Batty and Le Saux having a fight on the pitch :p:

I still remember Batty attempting to choke Butt during Newcastle's 5-0 win against Manchester United at St James'.

Spoiler

Manchester United were unsuprisingly the top answer but only scored 59, I think :s-smilie:

God that show has me tearing my hair out some days.

I saw one a few weeks ago and "Newcastle United managers of the past 20 years" was the jackpot question. :biggrin: Keegan was top, but only scraped into the 50's iirc. Who are the 40% of people that wouldn't be able to name him? :confused:
Original post by scriggy
God that show has me tearing my hair out some days.

I saw one a few weeks ago and "Newcastle United managers of the past 20 years" was the jackpot question. :biggrin: Keegan was top, but only scraped into the 50's iirc. Who are the 40% of people that wouldn't be able to name him? :confused:

Yeah, think that was from a couple of years ago originally.

To be fair though, probably only 50 - 60% of those surveyed are football fans. Whenever football comes up there's usually at least one couple who express dread. A good 20 - 30% of the general population are completely ignorant about football, and I mean completely. Not even 60% of people were able to name Manchester United, a team who've played in every season of the CL (except the first), and appeared in four finals (winning twice), as a British participant in the Champions League. I think only 70 off named Alex Ferguson as Manchester United's manager.

You frequently get relatively low numbers for basic general knowledge questions (e.g. members of the cabinet, Prime Ministers, languages). Not even 100 named Spain as a country whose official language is Spanish. So it's not surpising football is low. Don't take it as too much of an insult.

Richard, the co-presenter (a Fulham fan), and the researchers should know better however.
Reply 4814
Attachment not found

I wouldn't be surprised if Owen ends up coming back to newcastle :rolleyes:

Suppose it depends on how much interest there is from the other clubs... Not sure if any of the top 5 (manc, arse, spuds, chels) would want to take a punt on him.... so if he wants to play in Europe he may find that newcastle is his best option. Especially if we can pick him up for cheap! I suppose liverpool might take him back though (only if the price is 35m or higher :biggrin:) but liverpool dont have much to play for next season.
I don't think Ashley would take him. I wouldn't want him after he sucked out high wages and played **** during the season we got relegated, and I think that's why Ashley wouldn't take him back.

But you're right I can't see any of the other big sides taking him. He can forget Man City, Arsenal, Spuds, Chelsea, Liverpool. Everton could be a potential option but would they want a guy who played for their rivals? I can see a move away from the Premier League. Maybe some club from the US or China will snap him up for brand purposes.
Reply 4817
Original post by Stevo112
I wouldn't be surprised if Owen ends up coming back to newcastle :rolleyes:

Not one chance in absolute hell Owen would come back to Newcastle.

He'd be lynched.

Useless prick.
Reply 4818
Same if he decided to try and get back in to Liverpool.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4819
Original post by Mess.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

There's an app for this :eek: Android version? :colondollar:

Latest