Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Describe a person you would consider "very well educated," wise and worldly.

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make up a person in your mind.

Imagine that person was widely considered to be very well educated, wise and worldly.

Now, if someone was described as very well educated, wise and worldly to you:

-What educational background would they have? What kind of schools, did they go to what courses did they take, what subjects would they have studied, what universities would they have graduated from, what majors did they read, what languages do they know and speak, what degrees would they have attained?

-What experiences outside academia would they have encountered to make them both wise and worldly? Such as, did they serve in the military or the police? Were they perhaps a journalist? Did they ever work in a supervisory capacity in which they managed people and judged their work? Did they come close to death? Were they ever married? Did they have children? What sort of pain or trauma in their lives had they witnessed but came through.

-What specific countries and cities have they travelled to? Did they ever live abroad, and if so, how long would there stay have to have been in order to satisfy the worldly context of this question?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HonestBob)

Imagine that person was widely considered to be very well educated, wise and worldly.

-What educational background would they have? What kind of schools, did they go to what courses did they take, what subjects would they have studied, what universities would they have graduated from, what majors did they read, what languages do they know and speak, what degrees would they have attained?

-What experiences outside academia would they have encountered to make them both wise and worldly? Such as, did they serve in the military or the police? Were they perhaps a journalist? Did they ever work in a supervisory capacity in which they managed people and judged their work? Did they come close to death? Were they ever married? Did they have children? What sort of pain or trauma in their lives had they witnessed but came through.

-What specific countries and cities have they travelled to? Did they ever live abroad, and if so, how long would there stay have to have been in order to satisfy the worldly context of this question?
    Any takers on this question...?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so much effort...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Fry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HonestBob)

Alright, well, I'll start off with a few of my opinions, and maybe we can get this conversation started.

I'd say first off, if you were British you'd have to attend a reputable independent school with a long rich history. I'm not sure if boarding is really as acceptable as it was in the past. Leaving the family unit at such a young age causes psychological trauma, and some studies suggest it produces a very cold hearted person in adulthood. Nevertheless, the modules they teach are essential: history, languages, philosophy, maths, science, art, music. They provide a good opening for entering an excellent university such as Oxbridge, one of the top Russell Group uni's, or better still, a top flight university abroad. The American Ivy League 9Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brown, etc.) and some of the better State Schools like University of California at Berkeley, University of Virginia, SUNY, etc.) aould provide the best life experiences and educational opportunities that attending Oxbridge couldn't match. And again, a heavy load of the arts and humanities (History, English Literature, Philosophy, Foreign Languages, Music, Art, etc.) are the classes which provide the greatest wisdom and lessons in life. Social Sciences are useful (Psychology, Economics, Sociology, Geography, Anthropology, Politics), so long as they aren't overshadowed with personal bias from the agenda driven crowd. There's a lot of bunk wrapped up in the social sciences, but there's also pearls of wisdom once you learn how to think for yourself. Again, that's where the humanities come in. They teach you how to think, analyse and be critical of information. Once your Bachelor degree is completed, to be considered highly educated, I'd say it would be necessary to complete at least a Masters, if not a Ph.D. in one of the humanities subjects or the hard sciences. When your education is all said and done, not only should you have become articulate, analytical and knowledgeable about life, you should also have command of at least one other language than English. French if you study the humanities and German, preferably, if you study the hard sciences.

Knowledge of a foreign language will help considerably when you leave the ties of education and venture out into the world. While you are still young and unattached, everyone should live abroad at some point. And I don't mean to just visit a beach somewhere for a couple months over the summer. First off, a year or two living and working in a major European city such as Paris, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Amsterdam. This is a rewarding experience that gives you enormous wisdom. While abroad every opportunity to travel and integrate yourself with the local culture should be exercised. Then, some time in America is a must. Again, see as much of it as you can and not just New York City. Strike up conversations with as many Americans as you can. You'll find the Yanks really do love us Brits. I was often blown away by the amoutn of genuine affection the average American has for Britain, the British people, and British institutions. An extended tour of Austrailia or South Africa is a must too, since you need to see what life is like south of the equator. However, most important of all, a truly worldly person will have spent time living and perhaps even working in a developing nation. This opens the doors to worldliness and wisdom more than any other travel experience.

Now, in order to travel this extensively, one needs to earn money by doing it. The armed forces are an option, but your own choice and agency of movement are limited. There are other options, however, being a freelance journalist or a gypsy scholar in academia would suit this lifestyle too. Joining the UN international police is another major eye opener into life. As a London bobby friend of mine says, being a policeman is a front row seat in life.

By the time you start closing in on 30, and the travelling bug is out of your system, I'd recommend sttling down, buying a house, getting married and raising children. Nothing brings more wisdom about life than the responsibility of being a parent. I'd also say you need to grow vegetables, flowers and breed animals to some degree to get a slight taste of the same.

That, my friends, at least I think, is the road to wisdom--and all before you reach your 30th birthday.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    When not policing Latin America with my Physics PhD, amateur interest in gardening, and the classical Greek I picked up at my famous public school, I like nothing better than to sit in my parents' back-bedroom 'inventing people'.

How do I fare, then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    When not policing Latin America with my Physics PhD, amateur interest in gardening, and the classical Greek I picked up at my famous public school, I like nothing better than to sit in my parents' back-bedroom 'inventing people'.

How do I fare, then?
    Wiseass. Ha ha....

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 29, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.