The Student Room Group

acne

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Research ro-accutane and ask to be referred to a dermotologist as only they can prescribe said medicine.
Original post by Abir Ishtiaq
I keep seeing you on a lot of threads hahah (:

great minds think alike, or it's just a conincidence! :L
Reply 42
Original post by Florence321
I tried various things and then was prescribed lymecycline last year, and used it at the same time as isotrex (a gel form of roaccutane). It took a while, but they did improve my skin a lot! I came off it for a few months mainly because I was bored of taking pills every day, and my skin didn't flare up or anything, but it has got a bit worse now and I'm back on the lymecycline but sadly it's not working so well this time :frown: So I understand how you're feeling and I know it's hard! - but like others have said, people don't really care that much when other people have bad skin...
If you go back to the doctor, I would reccommend suggesting the gel form of roaccutane before you even think about the pills, as it has far fewer side effects. When you first start using it, it does dry out your skin and can also make it a bit sore, so it's recommended that at first, you apply it every few days, and then gradually increase how often you use it. It also makes you a bit more sensitive to sunlight so I'd be careful about that especially as the summer's coming up.
Good luck!

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Hi there :-)

I've had bad skin since I was about 11, I'm now 20, and am just about getting rid of it! I've tried literally EVERYTHING from the doctor, but nothing helped, ever.

For me, time really was the best healer.

Plus, when I started drinking lots of water, my skin began to clear up. Also, I took the decision to stop wearing make up to cover up my spots because, as somebody said earlier, you can never cover the bumps properly and it just looks odd still. I honestly believe that letting my skin breathe has helped a lot.

Is it just the spots that you have a problem with, or do you find that you have red marks left from old spots which stay for months and months? This is my main problem now, as I only ever really have three proper "spots" at any one time on my face.

I was recommended Loreal White Perfect Re-Lighting Whitening Moisturiser (sold on eBay for ~£6 which will last you about a month used twice per day) which is aimed at older people to reduce age spots- however it works on red marks left from acne, too. I bought it when a girl on here said that it had worked for her. I've been buying things that people have told me work for YEARS and nothing ever has, but my goodness I'm so amazed, I've been using it for two weeks now and honestly I cannot believe the results it's had on my skin. Hardly any red marks now, the ones that are left have faded amazingly and obviously I'm expecting it to carry on working to get rid of the marks completely! :biggrin: So if red marks are a big part of your problem, I can recommend that for sure!

Original post by Jellybean91
Acne is horrible and i really feel for you! In your head you're thinking that everyone thinks its because you stuff your face with unhealthy food or dont wash your face, when in fact you probably wash your face more than they do. It's most likely a hormone imbalance so it will eventually clear up of its own accord but until then i would try going on the pill! It really helped clear mine up (if you are a girl that is) which was a huge confidence booster for me! There are pills specifically for acne, like Dianette. Ask your doctor if you can use something like that. I never found any of the creams or tablets ever worked and when it started to do something, much like you said, it would soon stop as i built up a resistance to it, and then it was back to square one.

Keep trying different things until you find something that works for you hun :smile: chin up, it WILL get better i promise! x

I am going to ask about roaccutane, I mean i know it can dry your skin out but it seems like a small price to pay. I think I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow just to talk to someone about it, I know they'll just tell me to continue the month's worth of lymecycline i have left, but to be honest if it's not working by now i don't think it will. thanks for all your replies :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I am going to ask about roaccutane, I mean i know it can dry your skin out but it seems like a small price to pay. I think I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow just to talk to someone about it, I know they'll just tell me to continue the month's worth of lymecycline i have left, but to be honest if it's not working by now i don't think it will. thanks for all your replies :smile:

Be persistent when talking to your dermo, OP.

Also, if you do get prescribed it, it's good that you realise that your skin will get dried out. It's an annoyance, but I've got to say, it's a very small price to pay.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by metro2610
Be persistent when talking to your dermo, OP.

Also, if you do get prescribed it, it's good that you realise that your skin will get dried out. It's an annoyance, but I've got to say, it's a very small price to pay.

Good luck :smile:

I'm going to my GP soon who said the next stage for my acne was a dermatologist, and I fear being given accutane/roaccutane. It's not the dry skin that worries me, but the hair loss, depression, intestinal problems. Have you had any of this?
Reply 45
PRO ACTIV SOLUTION. Check it out online- the UK site
freederm - ftw
Original post by hatemylife
I'm going to my GP soon who said the next stage for my acne was a dermatologist, and I fear being given accutane/roaccutane. It's not the dry skin that worries me, but the hair loss, depression, intestinal problems. Have you had any of this?

I did a full course of roaccutane last year, 'hatemylife', with dry skin being the only side effect.

If you get prescribed it, regular blood tests will be performed before and during to make sure you're safe. It was honestly the best medical decision I've ever made. I'm still acne-free now :smile:

Don't fear it, if you're not compatable, you wont be prescribed it. Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
a lot of quotes i know but i just wanted to reply to everyone. first of all thanks for everyone who responded, i do feel more positive and have a few new things to discuss with my doctor. my friend's younger sister is 15 and on roaccutane at the moment and she's had no side effects and has got really good skin now, but i do know that your body can be dependant on it which worries me. i'll talk to my doctor about it and see if he recommends it, but i'm still a bit unsure about it to be honest

Actually, you don't become dependent on roaccutane. Can on other meds but roaccutane is literally just a controlled poisining. It's basically toxic levels of vitamin A that are so powerful, a lot of the time it doesn't come back. You have to take it for like 6 months - a year.

Quick Reply

Latest