The Student Room Group

acne

Ok so I'm 18 and female,
my skin started to be a problem in year 11, but i got a topical treatment (basically something you apply to your face) and that worked for over a year then around last January my skin must've got resistant to it because it stopped working.

I'm currently on antibiotics for it, they're called Tetralysal Lymecycline but I'm 2 months into the treatment course (have been prescribed enough for 3 months) and they've had no effect. I was told they should start working in 6-8 weeks, but have been told that they can take up to 6 months so I'm sticking with it at the moment.

Thing is I'm starting uni in september and I'm really worried about it. Most days I don't go out of the house a lot because I'm so self-conscious, and I cry a lot about it. I know it's shallow and things could be worse, but I hate how I look and it really affects my confidence. I'm really bothered about having to start uni meeting loads of new people when I feel like this.

I just kind of wanted some advice about other treatments if you've tried any that've worked, or how to feel better about myself. I just can't help feeling that people will notice my skin..not that they'll judge me for it, but that they'll think I'm unattractive. Anyone else have this problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Bad" skin actually doesn't bother me at all. Y'all won't believe me, but it's true. What I really think is unattractive, though, is bad skin covered in foundation, because you can still see all the spots but they're skin coloured and it looks ****ing alien, like you've got the plague.

So don't try to hide it - you can't. Also, if you act like it doesn't matter and you're still hot, then people will feel the same way. This goes for most supposed flaws - they're only ever what you make of them, and when people really don't care or don't think it's a problem, they seem very attractive still.

Look into dietary causes or links - most GPs don't believe that what we eat has any real effect on that sort of thing, but it blatantly does.

Also go easy on the harsh meds, it might not be worth it in the long run.

Post an example picture from google to show what kind of skin problem you actually have? Is it like just lots of spots? Or more like rosacea?
Reply 2
lol, yea. I started puberty very early and so had some spots (bad but not terrible) much earlier than most other people, who still looked like young children. They used to quite innocently ask things like "Why don't you just wash?", etc. It never bothered me, things like that don't, but definitely people don't really understand when they're young.
Reply 3

it's just hard because I eat well, exercise, take good care of myself and it feels unfair that I try so hard and some people go out drinking all the time and eat rubbish and still have clear skin. i feel so much pressure as well (don't know if this is the same for boys) to look pretty, and i feel so down when i'm with my friends as i'm jealous of them. and then i feel even more horrible because of that, and because it's only looks and it doesn't really matter.

it's nice to vent finally, i hate having to live with this
Reply 4
I really feel for you. I've had acne since I was 10 and I'm 17 now, it comes and goes but truthfully, the only thing I've had that has sort of helped has been the pill, I've had antibiotics and various prescribed topical treatments but my acne must be hormonal so that's why the pill helps.

The thing with acne is that it depletes confidence so much, and that's because of the stigma it has, of, if you have acne, you MUST be unclean and "not wash" etc etc which are all completely untrue, but to help yourself along the way with feeling better you must gain some confidence, it's hard I know because the days when my skin is taking a turn for the worse I do feel a lot worse than I would if my skin was semi-clear, but maybe to help you gain some confidence you could take extra care of your skin? Treat yourself even? Maybe have a routine of cleansing and moisturizing, it may make you feel that little bit better in yourself :smile:

It might be a long road yet but you'll get there hopefully, using natural things like tea tree oil and lemon juice might help, as it's all natural and no nasty chemicals, good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by cttp_ngaf
"Bad" skin actually doesn't bother me at all. Y'all won't believe me, but it's true. What I really think is unattractive, though, is bad skin covered in foundation, because you can still see all the spots but they're skin coloured and it looks ****ing alien, like you've got the plague.

So don't try to hide it - you can't. Also, if you act like it doesn't matter and you're still hot, then people will feel the same way. This goes for most supposed flaws - they're only ever what you make of them, and when people really don't care or don't think it's a problem, they seem very attractive still.

Look into dietary causes or links - most GPs don't believe that what we eat has any real effect on that sort of thing, but it blatantly does.

Also go easy on the harsh meds, it might not be worth it in the long run.

Post an example picture from google to show what kind of skin problem you actually have? Is it like just lots of spots? Or more like rosacea?

I do wear makeup but I don't feel confident to go out without it. but like I said I don't tend to go out much because of feeling so self-conscious so most days I don't wear it, and when I do it's mineral which is supposedly better for your skin.

I'm on a really good diet, I'm not sure if it has any effect but I know it's healthy for my internally and am too scared to eat rubbish in case it gets worse.

My medication is one of the milder ones, this is the first antibiotic treatment I've ever had and so far I've not experienced any side effects.

I'll try to find a picture that's similar. To be honest, it's mostly red spots on my forehead including ones that are under the skin (which are worse). They can be quite painful at times too :frown: I used to wear my hair across my forehead to avoid seeing them, but have stopped doing this incase it actually aggravates my skin. Then around my chin I have loads of pimples, and I have a few spots on my back/neck too.
Reply 6
well I've got an appointment in a month which is when my antibiotics prescription runs out. He did say that it could take six months in some cases, so I have a feeling he'll give me another 3 month trial, but if by that time it's still bad I'll ask if there's anything else I can try. The only problem is all the health side effects of antibiotics. I want clear skin, but don't think it's worth harming my body for. So far I've been ok with side effects, but what I'm on now's one of the milder treatments.
Reply 7
Original post by just_so
I really feel for you. I've had acne since I was 10 and I'm 17 now, it comes and goes but truthfully, the only thing I've had that has sort of helped has been the pill, I've had antibiotics and various prescribed topical treatments but my acne must be hormonal so that's why the pill helps.

The thing with acne is that it depletes confidence so much, and that's because of the stigma it has, of, if you have acne, you MUST be unclean and "not wash" etc etc which are all completely untrue, but to help yourself along the way with feeling better you must gain some confidence, it's hard I know because the days when my skin is taking a turn for the worse I do feel a lot worse than I would if my skin was semi-clear, but maybe to help you gain some confidence you could take extra care of your skin? Maybe have a routine of cleansing and moisturizing, it may make you feel that little bit better in yourself :smile:

It might be a long road yet but you'll get there hopefully, using natural things like tea tree oil and lemon juice might help, as it's all natural and no nasty chemicals, good luck :smile:

thanks for being kind, and for your suggestions :smile:
I have a skincare routine (cleansing, moisturising, etc) all with products that contain natural ingredients because my skin is sensitive. It does help my skin look and feel cleaner, but doesn't actually eliminate acne or prevent it.

it's just hard to imagine that I might have this for years to come..it sounds stupid but when I imagined my life I never imagined it with acne stunting me. I know it's partly my fault because I let it get me down, but still.
I'm on the same meds and I can completely relate.
Everyday they seem to stay the same, massive eyesores that make me avoid mirrors anywhere with flourescent lighting. I've been on them three months and only now do I see a little, little difference so don't give up hope!

It's frustrating when my closest friends have clear skin ( one regularily gets complemented on it by complete strangers because it's so glow-y) and some of those have awful diets, wear make-up to bed etc.
Reply 9
Iv used to have amazing skin but then 18 months ago I started developing little pimples on my forehead which slowly got worse and I had regular breakouts, now they werent major in that I could leave the house etc but when my friends hadnt seen me in a while they would comment on my skin and tbh it hurt :/

I went to my doctor and he prescribed the pill and within a week they had reduced and now (touch wood) they are non-existant..I know the pill isnt for everybody but I havent had any side effects..

Moral of the story..there is always a way so dont let it get you down :smile:
The people who are important in your life will love you no matter what you look like :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Stormyweather
I'm on the same meds and I can completely relate.
Everyday they seem to stay the same, massive eyesores that make me avoid mirrors anywhere with flourescent lighting. I've been on them three months and only now do I see a little, little difference so don't give up hope!

It's frustrating when my closest friends have clear skin ( one regularily gets complemented on it by complete strangers because it's so glow-y) and some of those have awful diets, wear make-up to bed etc.

was your skin still bad after 2 months? I'm glad there's someone here on the same stuff
Reply 11
Original post by PinkZebra
Iv used to have amazing skin but then 18 months ago I started developing little pimples on my forehead which slowly got worse and I had regular breakouts, now they werent major in that I could leave the house etc but when my friends hadnt seen me in a while they would comment on my skin and tbh it hurt :/

I went to my doctor and he prescribed the pill and within a week they had reduced and now (touch wood) they are non-existant..I know the pill isnt for everybody but I havent had any side effects..

Moral of the story..there is always a way so dont let it get you down :smile:
The people who are important in your life will love you no matter what you look like :biggrin:

that's true :smile: and I know it is, but it makes meeting new people hard I find. Also I know it's really bad at the moment because even my mum (not in a nasty way, just being concerned) comment on it. She always questions if I pick at my skin or not (which I don't) because it looks bad. It's hard that even my mother feels sorry for me when she sees me. Deep down I know it doesn't affect who I am, but on a shallower level it seems like the be all and end all.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I'm 18 and female,
my skin started to be a problem in year 11, but i got a topical treatment (basically something you apply to your face) and that worked for over a year then around last January my skin must've got resistant to it because it stopped working.

I'm currently on antibiotics for it, they're called Tetralysal Lymecycline but I'm 2 months into the treatment course (have been prescribed enough for 3 months) and they've had no effect. I was told they should start working in 6-8 weeks, but have been told that they can take up to 6 months so I'm sticking with it at the moment.

Thing is I'm starting uni in september and I'm really worried about it. Most days I don't go out of the house a lot because I'm so self-conscious, and I cry a lot about it. I know it's shallow and things could be worse, but I hate how I look and it really affects my confidence. I'm really bothered about having to start uni meeting loads of new people when I feel like this.

I just kind of wanted some advice about other treatments if you've tried any that've worked, or how to feel better about myself. I just can't help feeling that people will notice my skin..not that they'll judge me for it, but that they'll think I'm unattractive. Anyone else have this problem?

I was on Tetralysal Lymecycline too... Not sure if it made any difference to me either. I guess it works for some people and not others! Have you tried Duac? I was prescribed Duac too and that seemed to really help me. Please don't let your acne knock your confidence as so many young people suffer with it, and anyone that judges your for it aren't worth your time!
Reply 13
To be honest I've been considering seeing a new doctor or a dermatologist because at my local practice they're not exactly sympathetic.

Thank you, I will :smile: I know this thread's been like a pity party, but I just needed reassurance from somewhere.
Reply 14
Original post by stupefy!
I was on Tetralysal Lymecycline too... Not sure if it made any difference to me either. I guess it works for some people and not others! Have you tried Duac? I was prescribed Duac too and that seemed to really help me. Please don't let your acne knock your confidence as so many young people suffer with it, and anyone that judges your for it aren't worth your time!

Duac as in Duac gel? If so then yes, but my skin is so sensitive that it basically burnt it because it was so harsh. I did notice it was clearer, but I couldn't keep up with the amount it was damaging my skin.
Sorry you have to go through this, hope it gets better soon and don't let it get you down! I would really recommend the Tea Tree range at The Body Shop! They completely got rid of my spots, although admittedly it wasn't that many but they were gone really quick and left my skin smooth. I use the cleanser and lotions twice a day and the exfoliator twice a week. Hope this helps!
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
that's true :smile: and I know it is, but it makes meeting new people hard I find. Also I know it's really bad at the moment because even my mum (not in a nasty way, just being concerned) comment on it. She always questions if I pick at my skin or not (which I don't) because it looks bad. It's hard that even my mother feels sorry for me when she sees me. Deep down I know it doesn't affect who I am, but on a shallower level it seems like the be all and end all.

I know but when you are in that position then it does seem the begining and the end..you have to build up your confidence and realise that when you first meet a person thats not what they look at but its you being self concious that might make them see your skin..visit your doc and explain that the lotions and potions arent working for you, if theres not much he can do look into laser as this helps with many skin conditions (although it can be pricey)
btw my mum used to think I was picking my spots too but..errm I was :colone:
hey
you could try roaacutan if its bad, but that affects growth ( unless youve reach ur max height)
i'd recommend duac gel ( ull need to get it from a doc) it's soo soo good! my sister had a face full at the age on 12 and now shes 14 and her skin is almost clear; her spots come back if she stops using it for about a week. but I'd try Duac gel.
Reply 18
Acne can be a real esteem killer, I think those who have never had it really don't understand. My advice is to stop caring to be honest. Might sound odd but I wouldn't get too upset over it, it starts to pass over time and it's different with different people. Some have bad diets and they get none, others eat carefully and wash more than often and get it bad. I've been prescribed various medication and creams and advice, it sort of helped but hasn't made a massive difference, it just got slightly better over time. It was awful when I was about 12/13; there was so much on my neck at one point it hurt to turn my head too much! I've had it since I was about 11 and I'm 20 and it's still here, but it has gotten better like I said. There's only about a dozen or so spots on my back, about five or six major ones on my chest and practically none on my face apart from a couple I get after shaving. My neck is still pretty bad though I guess, always red and feels like its burning - still better than when I was younger though.

tl;dr - don't worry too much, it gets better over time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sudocrem, just cover your face in it before you go to sleep, don't do it in the morning otherwise you'll look pale through the day.

I had acne up until about a year ago I used to put on so much make up had so many creams and antibiotics prescribed to me but it never worked, so I decided to stop wearing make-up and every night used Sudocrem and it went away, and now I don't bother wearing make-up at all because I'm not self conscious about my skin (plus I am allergic to it anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest