The Student Room Group

Warwick or Manchester?

Hi there. so i have a question.
I've got offers from both Warwick and Manchester. the offer from Warwick is for economics, politics and international studies, while the offer from Manchester is for economics and finance.
which would you guys suggest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick is the "better" university for economics. Have you visited both? Which do you prefer?
Reply 2
Warwick ftw!
Reply 3
the thing is that i am an international student and won't be able to visit the UK till end of august. so i can't visit any of the campuses. sigh
Reply 4
Original post by Arsenal17
the thing is that i am an international student and won't be able to visit the UK till end of august. so i can't visit any of the campuses. sigh

Basically do you want the big city uni lifestyle with lots of bars, clubs, stuff to do etc or a massive campus based university with basically everything you need on site and the nearest towns etc like 15mins away and even then its only Coventry and Leamington Spa which are still nothing on Manchester.

Uni wise - Warwick is the better university and will in the long run be better but Manc. has a growing reputation and is only going to get better IMO.
Reply 5
Not only is Warwick the better university between the two, it also has the better economics program.
Reply 6
Warwick hands down! Warwick's EPI programme is internationally well recognised! Congrats on getting your offers by the way! :smile:
Reply 7
Which course do you prefer? You are NOT comparing economics courses but two quite different courses; you are comparing Economics and Politics at Warwick against Econ and Finance at Manchester. The econ modules on EPAIS are not the same as those done by pure econ students.

What do you want to do after uni?
Hi there. so i have a question.
I've got offers from both Warwick and Manchester. the offer from Warwick is for economics, politics and international studies, while the offer from Manchester is for economics and finance.
which would you guys suggest?

Personally, Warwick is my firm
Manchester is my insurance

Warwick is generally considered slightly better, especially for mathsy related things but to be honest they're both Russell Group Uni's so i would just go with which one you like better
Reply 9
5 Hours Ago 10:26
.ACS.
Re: Warwick or Manchester?
Which course do you prefer? You are NOT comparing economics courses but two quite different courses; you are comparing Economics and Politics at Warwick against Econ and Finance at Manchester. The econ modules on EPAIS are not the same as those done by pure econ students.

i'm actually looking to go in for formulation of economic policy. something like IMF or the planning commissions..
Reply 10
Original post by eugeneho
Warwick hands down! Warwick's EPI programme is internationally well recognised! Congrats on getting your offers by the way! :smile:

thanks. and thanks for the help. :smile:

5 Hours Ago 10:26
.ACS.
Re: Warwick or Manchester?

i'm actually looking to go in for formulation of economic policy. something like IMF or the planning commissions..

Then you'd be wise to do an Msc in which case it won't really matter which undergrad you did though if you wanted to do an Msc in economics the EPAIS course probably won't be enough to get onto an Msc. I wouldn't compare uni's I'd compare course, because they are very different. They are both great unis.
Reply 12
Original post by yoyo462001
Then you'd be wise to do an Msc in which case it won't really matter which undergrad you did though if you wanted to do an Msc in economics the EPAIS course probably won't be enough to get onto an Msc. I wouldn't compare uni's I'd compare course, because they are very different. They are both great unis.

hold on. so u mean to say that the EPAIS course won't help me in the long run if i wanna go into policy? but one of the modules is about economic policy.
Reply 13

It will be.

The IMF and the World Bank are both very very difficult to get into. On the face of it it looks like any other highly competitive programmes (eg 20-40 places each year, thousands of applicants from around the world) and of course you are competing with the top graduates from the US universities. But the other problem with both institutions is that they are notorious for being places where vacancies are filled by people with internal connections. Also they work to some quotas, so if you are a high flying graduate from a developing country which is underrepresented there, you have a better chance than being one of thousands of Americans or Europeans who is trying to break in.

If you really want to go for the IMF you will need a minimum of an MSc but preferably a PhD and learn another language but I have to say you will need to be prepared for being frustrated.

DfID in the UK is actually much fairer to get into IMO, again it is heavily oversubscribed with applicants but I don't think its a place where you have to have internal connections to get in, the British government organisations are fairer in that respect, the challenge is just getting past the competition because there will be lots of high flyers from top universities fighting each other for a handful of jobs. The other thing with DfID is it isn't a very high payer, you are looking at about £23-24k for London.

hold on. so u mean to say that the EPAIS course won't help me in the long run if i wanna go into policy? but one of the modules is about economic policy.

It really does depend but I know if you want to go into economic policy really you'll need at least a masters, most policy advisor in all these big institutions will have Phd's. If you wanted to do a Phd in Economics then EPAIS isn't a well suited course. The way I see it is if you went further and did something more on the side of politics an economics degree would still permit it, if we look at it the other way around I'm doubtful an EPAIS degree would.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
It really does depend but I know if you want to go into economic policy really you'll need at least a masters, most policy advisor in all these big institutions will have Phd's. If you wanted to do a Phd in Economics then EPAIS isn't a well suited course. The way I see it is if you went further and did something more on the side of politics an economics degree would still permit it, if we look at it the other way around I'm doubtful an EPAIS degree would.

See, i'll have an option in the 2nd year whether i want to take Economics or Politics and IR as my major. So as my heart's set on Economics, i am already pretty sure that if i indeed go to Warwick, i'm going to take Eco as my Major in years 2 and 3. and i know that i'll need a Masters and maybe even a PhD. But thats for later. Right now, would the EPAIS course with Eco as my major in years 2 and 3 and a language module in each of my three years be of any help? because now i'm pretty confused. :confused:
Warwick. Hands down.
This is just my input on city alone - Manchester.

Voted 2nd best city for students, and it's just generally amazing.

See, i'll have an option in the 2nd year whether i want to take Economics or Politics and IR as my major. So as my heart's set on Economics, i am already pretty sure that if i indeed go to Warwick, i'm going to take Eco as my Major in years 2 and 3. and i know that i'll need a Masters and maybe even a PhD. But thats for later. Right now, would the EPAIS course with Eco as my major in years 2 and 3 and a language module in each of my three years be of any help? because now i'm pretty confused. :confused:

I've just had a quick look through the module list and you could probably get away with making EPAIS your major, seems like it covers a decent about of micro macro and metrics, which seems to be enough to get past the minimum requirements for most Msc courses. But if you wanted to do a Phd I'd still head as close to straight economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending