The Student Room Group

Essay and stuff... in uni..make me feeling a bit stress

Hi there. I am new to this forum. Nice to meet you guys. :smile:
Jus feeling a bit stress and frustrated. I am on my final year now. There are a hell loads of work in Yr3 compared to Yr2, I've never imagined the gap is that big.

I got frustrated because of language problems. English is my second language. Today, I got another feedback from my course director on the assignment I did a week ago. I didn't do it very well, because of my "poor english". Yea, she really did write that on my work :frown: .... Feeling a bit sad.
We always do literture reviews, and really I am getting sick of it! She always telling me that the things I wrote are just too basic..need to in more depth. I wish I can. I did really work hard and sitting there for hours and hours.

Even though, I have got ideas as I've said due to my poor english. I can't get many marks on my work when compared to the others. Arhh... I really don't know what to do. :frown:

Well, does anyone know is there a good website that teach you english (online)?
There are a lot of websites out there that could help you.

The best thing you can do is to try and get help from your lecturers, then use the advice they give you, and just practice it many times throughout your essay writing.

This is why the first year is very important. It is the year where you practice all of your academic writing skills.
Reply 2
Speak to the academic office in your university or speak to one of the advisors in your student union. Some universities put on special classes for people who English is their second language
Reply 3
Wow if you managed to get to your third year before getting stressed then you have done pretty well! :wink:
Reply 4
Yeah~ but in my first year we didn't do much on writing essays. We were doing practical reports, that was easy to handle.

Does anyone know any tips on reading literatures (science based)?
Cos I found it difficult to point out the important bits. was always focus on the wrong thing.

Yea, my uni got those english class, but I am always too busy to attend any. There's a "drop-in" session as well, I was trying to go there and at the end didn't make it cos of the time. The time always clashes my lectures. :eek:

Platocrates
There are a lot of websites out there that could help you.

The best thing you can do is to try and get help from your lecturers, then use the advice they give you, and just practice it many times throughout your essay writing.

This is why the first year is very important. It is the year where you practice all of your academic writing skills.
Reply 5
you say you have many ideas on what to write which is good, if you feel uncertain about how to formulate it look at old essays and see how they are written. or even books. at my uni we have a writing workshop where you can hand in whole essays or parts of it for grammar/structure check, maybe you can look if there are something similar at your school.
Reply 6
Did you do English at A-Level?

I think anyone who has an issue with the language should go through this crash-course of a subject. It improved my writing style so much in comparison to GCSE level.

Latest