The Student Room Group

Do courses Re-open admissions?

Just have a query if positions in some courses reopen when some people dont meet their conditions later towards July or august.
is this possible?

there's a course in LSE I really love to follow but a bit too late. just wanted to know if there still is a chance towards the end.

thanks
Original post by casper_7779
Just have a query if positions in some courses reopen when some people dont meet their conditions later towards July or august.
is this possible?

there's a course in LSE I really love to follow but a bit too late. just wanted to know if there still is a chance towards the end.

thanks

I've never hear of it happening. For most people a decision that late on would be too late to organise logistically, so would be no help. But universities always over offer on courses, knowing that many people will have multiple applications and may not choose them, or may fail to meet the grade requirements. So they know how to judge it so there isn't a shortfall. They always have the flexibility to make up numbers by accepting people who were given an offer and then only very slightly miss the grade requirements.
Reply 2
Very unlikely. It happens occasionally if there is a studentship or scholarship on offer but not very often.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
I've never hear of it happening. For most people a decision that late on would be too late to organise logistically, so would be no help. But universities always over offer on courses, knowing that many people will have multiple applications and may not choose them, or may fail to meet the grade requirements. So they know how to judge it so there isn't a shortfall. They always have the flexibility to make up numbers by accepting people who were given an offer and then only very slightly miss the grade requirements.

You can sometimes be lucky and find that a department still has available places if you email them directly and ask. I changed my mind about taking a gap year after my BA at extremely short notice and got my MA place two weeks before the beginning of term. It was rather a nerve-wrecking situation, though, because for a short period I had no idea which country I'd be living in for the following year, and I had to book my flight at a point when all I had was an informal offer from the course director.:s-smilie: So I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but it isn't altogether impossible.
Having said that, though, I don't think this kind of thing is likely to happen LSE, because they're heavily oversubscribed and because they seem to actively discourage people from emailing the respective faculties directly...
Reply 4
thanks for all the reply's guys
Reply 5
Yes it does happen. This year the Oxford DPhil Anthropology was reopened after March closure. However, reopening doesn't happen very often.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
You can try. LSE is not highly oversubscribed for all courses.

You can email them directly and see what they have to say. They might be willing to take a look at your application and if it is really really good, they may offer you a place even if your course is one of those oversubscribed ones. The chances are slim but you have nothing to lose anyway so might as well give it a shot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending