The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography Pre-exam Discussion (13 & 17 June 2011)

Scroll to see replies

the question on tourism which said how is the environment affected and give ye the wee picture above it....i talked about how vegation was replaced for hotels...i also said that trees were cut down so the nutrient cycle was damaged? is this right! Also i did bulguria and england for the 2 countries which contrast sayin weather + the land makes infertile/fertile ground makin crops grow more or less so can be sold? also the corrupt governemnt was a factor..would this be right?
I started a thread for those who did Spec B Hostile World yesterday
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32269840#post32269840
Original post by Mocking_bird
Oh no :frown: Which part?
Im sure you did great anyway! If it was the "stage 1" question it was only worth 1 mark anyway :smile:

I put stage 1, then I crossed it out and put stage 2....the examiner must have been thinking....wat?
Reply 823
I thought it was unfair that they used Indonesia in the population growth section because not everyone studied it (including me) in class. btw - what did you put when it asked for a reason why the policy failed or didn't work?
Original post by geditor
I thought it was unfair that they used Indonesia in the population growth section because not everyone studied it (including me) in class. btw - what did you put when it asked for a reason why the policy failed or didn't work?

Are you talking about the migration question or the natural decrease question? The policy question is kind of your own opinion so I just said there is no guarantee that certain individuals' lives will be better and people might just feel that the government's policy is beneficial to the gov rather than themselves. Also, if people have land and homes and a job etc. in one of the two places mentioned, then they might be adamant about whether they will get all these things if they move.. It was only like 2 marks or something :smile: What did you write?
Reply 825
Original post by kate.overall
Are you talking about the migration question or the natural decrease question? The policy question is kind of your own opinion so I just said there is no guarantee that certain individuals' lives will be better and people might just feel that the government's policy is beneficial to the gov rather than themselves. Also, if people have land and homes and a job etc. in one of the two places mentioned, then they might be adamant about whether they will get all these things if they move.. It was only like 2 marks or something :smile: What did you write?

I wasn't sure where Jakarta was (where if it was close to Sumatra or not) and put floods. It's obviously wrong but I always panic in exams and end up writing absolute rubbish. Under difference conditions, I reckon I could have done a lot better in this exam. I did the same thing in the maths M1 AS exam and ended up making stupid mistakes. :frown: Did the same for English OCR GCSE exam and ended up writing utter nonsense. I am going to go and cry now haha
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by geditor

You didnt need the case study for it, all the information was on the map/newspaper clippings or for the "population decrease" it said "places LIKE Indonesia " :smile:
& For "why wasnt this popular", I said things along the lines of... It wasnt sustainable because the population is still growing, racial tension between natives + immigrants, and that people would have to leave things personal to them such as houses & families were split up
(edited 12 years ago)
the question on tourism which said how is the environment affected and give ye the wee picture above it....i talked about how vegation was replaced for hotels...i also said that trees were cut down so the nutrient cycle was damaged? is this right! Also i did bulguria and england for the 2 countries which contrast sayin weather + the land makes infertile/fertile ground makin crops grow more or less so can be sold? also the corrupt governemnt was a factor..would this be right?
Did anyone do the retail provision area one?? If so what did you write about? Oh and what was the river landform diagram thing you had to draw?
Original post by aqagcse2011

Hey, I did tourism too and I wrote pretty much the same as you. I just talked about the ecosystem being destroyed, the vegetation was cleared as the priority was to attract as many investors/tourists as possible. I didn't think of writing about the nutrient cycle, but I'm sure it would benefit your answer.
Original post by Alimbo95

Hey, I did tourism too and I wrote pretty much the same as you. I just talked about the ecosystem being destroyed, the vegetation was cleared as the priority was to attract as many investors/tourists as possible. I didn't think of writing about the nutrient cycle, but I'm sure it would benefit your answer.

aye id say so like. Any other questions in the tourism section you want to ask about?
aye id say so like. Any other questions in the tourism section you want to ask about?

I'm not very good with remembering exam questions, but what was the ecotourism stuff? I know there was the question about stewardship, but I can't remember the other question/s ...
I'm not very good with remembering exam questions, but what was the ecotourism stuff? I know there was the question about stewardship, but I can't remember the other question/s ...

hi there! hw did the exam go? i hope i did well, but anway
they asked a question about how places like the seychelles in india where ecotourism is used for sustainable development or something and that's all i remember.
yeah that question was easy enuf. did any of yous do population or devolpment?
Original post by Zazuwaved
hi there! hw did the exam go? i hope i did well, but anway
they asked a question about how places like the seychelles in india where ecotourism is used for sustainable development or something and that's all i remember.

Oh yh, I can't remember what I put for that haha. Oh well...

Yes, I did population. I was fairly pleased with that section. I was sorta gobsmacked that they'd ask an 8 marker straight away though.
Reply 835
Original post by geditor

I don't think anyone had studied it. The whole point of the exercise was to test candidates' abilities to apply knowledge to an unfamiliar situation.
Original post by 117r
I don't think anyone had studied it. The whole point of the exercise was to test candidates' abilities to apply knowledge to an unfamiliar situation.

are you talking about the migration one or the natural decrease one??? I learnt about the migration one before but didn't revise it at all and just used the info provided to answer the question...

Yeah I did both of those and globalisation! :smile: I think it went well! Especially considering I started revising (from scratch) at 7pm the night beforelol
Reply 838
Original post by kate.overall
are you talking about the migration one or the natural decrease one??? I learnt about the migration one before but didn't revise it at all and just used the info provided to answer the question...

I was talking about the population one.
Original post by 117r
I was talking about the population one.

both are population!!!! Do you mean the 8 mark one on Indonesia or the one of migration?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending