The Student Room Group

Masters in International Relations with law background

Hi everyone.

I'm an LLB graduate and for a little while was unsure where I wanted to take my career in the future. I've now decided after examining my interests that I'd love to do an international relations masters (for 2012 entry, so I've got a bit of time to do research and really consider which courses I like).

I'm aware that most universities specify a history/politics/social science background, but I wondered if anyone has any advice or experience in applying as an law graduate. Would it be a disadvantage? I've done electives with international elements (eg international law) so I'm not completely alien to some of the topics covered, but aside from this have little formal experience in some of the other areas (though obviously a keen interest in reading about/following them).

As a final aside, I didn't actually do a dissertation as part of my degree (optional at my university). Could this also disadvantage me?

I'd be very grateful for any help and advice people could give. At the moment courses that I've looked into and been interested in so far have been Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and SOAS. I've got more research to do (out of the country so unable to really sink my teeth into it at the moment) but as I say, any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Original post by nowords

At Cambridge - it's a very common route, there are law degree holders on every IR course. The lack of dissertation will not make any difference.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Same in Oxford. In fact we even have a guy who previously did a Degree in English Literature. We do have a few Law people in the programme and especially in Oxford this is definitely not unheard of.
Reply 3
Thanks for the comments :smile: . That's good news. I'm looking forward to doing the research into courses properly when I get home!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending