The Student Room Group

Psychology Asch conformity????

Do people conform more with strangers or freinds?
I'm currently revising methadology of Asch and am confused!!!:colondollar:

PLEASE HELP:smile:
Help please???
Reply 2
Well,

Williams and Sogon conducted a version of Asch's study with sportsclub members. They found higher conformity rates than Asch did. This may be because as the group all knew each other, they all trusted one another's judgements (Informational Social Influence) or it could show that they were fitting in with one another in the team spirit of things (Normative Social Influence). So having a friend in this study could show a lack of independence between participants, or it could show that the group all agrees with one another unanimously anyway. Either way this study suggests having a friend increases conformity.

Then Allen and Levein did a similar Asch-style study to see if valid social support made a difference to Asch's study- ie does having an ally help? They found that conformity was reduced suggesting people conform more if they are participating on their own. Therefore it suggests having a friend reduces conformity.

The Situational and Dispositional factors are probably different in each one and that could be the cause of the discrepancy...

So make of that what you will :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't think there is much difference in conformity rates between those situations, it's just that there are different reasons for conforming in each case. When friends are around, people don't want to make themselves look stupid because they don't conform to the opinion of their friends. When the other participants aren't friends, people are concerned with looking stupid, but additionally that the fellow participants won't want to be their friends if they don't conform to their views.
Reply 4
I don't think there is much of a difference. Do you even have to add if we conform more to strangers or freinds in the methodology lol??
Reply 5
I don't remember ever having to do it in mocks or the real thing. It's more evaluation, much more of which is required at A2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending