The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Any books you guys would recommend for reading around the subject would be appreciated. :h:
Reply 181
Reading these posts doesn't totally fill me with confidence. :s-smilie: Looking to apply for Law/Law with Politics courses (where possible) with quite normal Grades (GCSE'S - 1A*, 5A's, 4B's and AS English Literature Grade C). Doing English Literature (re-doing the course), Biology, Psychology, Government and Politics and Critical Thinking. Aiming for Cambridge/Warwick, but have looked at UCL, Newcastle, Southampton, Birmingham, Queen Mary, SOAS, Exeter and Durham:frown:???
Original post by racaha
Wow lucky being off early! I think we'll be getting it tomorrow so I should have forms to fill in tomorrow :bigsmile: We're still in school, it closes on the 22nd. It'll be a quick job filling in your application when you get back then! At least stuff like the personal statement can be done without it :yep:

:teehee: Sounds good! I miss Tom and Jerry, I must watch some over these holidays :holmes:

Perks of being in a Scottish School I guess :P. We finish up the first of July, however, we are back earlier I think. It will be a quick dash filling in my application but oh well :smile:

Tom and Jerry are simply the best. Unless, they're the newer ones like Tom and Jerry Kids *shudders*:teehee:
Reply 183
When are people going to begin LNAT prep, and how are you going to do it?
Reply 184
Original post by BritainPersonified
Perks of being in a Scottish School I guess :P. We finish up the first of July, however, we are back earlier I think. It will be a quick dash filling in my application but oh well :smile:

Tom and Jerry are simply the best. Unless, they're the newer ones like Tom and Jerry Kids *shudders*:teehee:

Yep! I got the buzzword on Friday so I can fill it in now. I haven't done it all yet though :smile:

Aw, I used to love it! Definitely going to have to watch it :yep:
Original post by racaha
Yep! I got the buzzword on Friday so I can fill it in now. I haven't done it all yet though :smile:

Aw, I used to love it! Definitely going to have to watch it :yep:

Woo! Enjoy your sense of satisfaction and pride when you get it all done. At least that's what I gather the feeling is from the UCAS 2012 applicants thread :P I'll have to get cracking on this Personal Statement lark. I asked a PS Helper if my opening line was any good... It was not. A major rethink is in order me thinks :colondollar::cool::rolleyes:
Original post by ProfessorS
Any books you guys would recommend for reading around the subject would be appreciated. :h:

I haven't quite gotten round to reading them, but I was advised The Law Machine and Letters to a Law Student by my Guidance Teacher. She did say, however, that virtually every candidate is advised to read these and consequently writes on them.
Woo! Enjoy your sense of satisfaction and pride when you get it all done. At least that's what I gather the feeling is from the UCAS 2012 applicants thread :P I'll have to get cracking on this Personal Statement lark. I asked a PS Helper if my opening line was any good... It was not. A major rethink is in order me thinks :colondollar::cool::rolleyes:

Opening lines are what i'm having trouble coming up with! I literally don't know how to open up my PS without sounding clichéd.

Time to consult the the thesaurus for words other than spark, ignite and passion :biggrin:
Original post by admbeatmaker
Opening lines are what i'm having trouble coming up with! I literally don't know how to open up my PS without sounding clichéd.

Time to consult the the thesaurus for words other than spark, ignite and passion :biggrin:

My personal statement used to start 'I hate maths and science'. I thought I was being so clever in thinking outside the box and going for a different angle rather than 'I've wanted to study Law since I was a very small child because...' I was skeptical of it myself 'cause I thought it was far too 'out there'... Turns out I was right :wink:

Ahh see, fascinated is the problem area with me. If you listen to my current copy of my Personal Statement I am fascinated with everything to do with Law... :banghead: :facepalm:. I think it's time to crack open a thesaurus too.
Reply 189

Same! I've written down some ideas but I've not even thought about opening lines yet, that should be fun! Oh dear, I'm sure you'll think of something :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by admbeatmaker

It's impossible NOT to sound cliched. The admission tutors have seen everything; so concentrate on justifying your cliched viewpoints.
Original post by tehforum
It's impossible NOT to sound cliched. The admission tutors have seen everything; so concentrate on justifying your cliched viewpoints.

Good point, sir. It's still going to be hard, though! :colondollar:

I'm finding it almost impossible to do the whole opening tbh. I want in essence, to say, "I love law and quite honestly can't see myself doing anything else in life. With this, I have such a deep passion (*shudders at the word*) for the subject that I believe I want to devote my life to becoming a professor of law, barrister or solicitor".

Ah, well... time to get cracking :cool:
Reply 192
Hello everybody. how is everybody preparing?

Personal statement drafting? Open day bookings? LNAT preperation?

I've just realised that I actually have plenty to be worrying about and was just wondering how everybody else is getting on with all this!

Also looking to apply at:

UCL
Queen Mary
Southampton
Warwick
Kent

Are these realistic choices? I'm doing History, Geography, English Literature and Maths, though i'll probably drop the latter. I guess my GCSE's are good but not worthy enough for Oxbridge, LSE or Kings (3A*'s,9A's,2B's), though, are these okay for the uni's i'm looking at?
I haven't quite gotten round to reading them, but I was advised The Law Machine and Letters to a Law Student by my Guidance Teacher. She did say, however, that virtually every candidate is advised to read these and consequently writes on them.

Original post by flavius11
'The Rule of Law' by Tom Bingham- it's written by a senior law lord yet so so easy to understand (unlike alot of Law books) and is quite an interesting book to write about on ur PS imo. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! I'll look into them. :smile:

Writing a personal statement without using cliche's is difficult. Also is anyone going to this http://www.prelaw.org.uk/ ? I don't know whether it will be worth it and although money shouldn't be a factor the fee is a little expensive for me. :colondollar:
Original post by d_aan
Hello everybody. how is everybody preparing?

Personal statement drafting? Open day bookings? LNAT preperation?

I've just realised that I actually have plenty to be worrying about and was just wondering how everybody else is getting on with all this!

Also looking to apply at:

UCL
Queen Mary
Southampton
Warwick
Kent

Are these realistic choices? I'm doing History, Geography, English Literature and Maths, though i'll probably drop the latter. I guess my GCSE's are good but not worthy enough for Oxbridge, LSE or Kings (3A*'s,9A's,2B's), though, are these okay for the uni's i'm looking at?

Your GCSEs are fine with Oxbridge. Your choices are completely realistic, provided that your AS grades are up to scratch.
Reply 195
Thank you! I'll look into them. :smile:

Writing a personal statement without using cliche's is difficult. Also is anyone going to this http://www.prelaw.org.uk/ ? I don't know whether it will be worth it and although money shouldn't be a factor the fee is a little expensive for me. :colondollar:

I went to this last year :smile:
It provided a brief overview of the legal system in general, good links for things to check out before applying and when at uni and went through the application process and what types of things to include in your personal statement etc.
They talked about things to think about when choosing courses and unis, briefly went into the LNAT and interview skills and then into the actual law degree and beyond that into careers and post-grad.
It was fairly useful, although you could probably pick up most of the things mentioned if you research well enough.
Sorry, this turned into a bit of an essay!
Original post by steffanie
I went to this last year :smile:
It provided a brief overview of the legal system in general, good links for things to check out before applying and when at uni and went through the application process and what types of things to include in your personal statement etc.
They talked about things to think about when choosing courses and unis, briefly went into the LNAT and interview skills and then into the actual law degree and beyond that into careers and post-grad.
It was fairly useful, although you could probably pick up most of the things mentioned if you research well enough.
Sorry, this turned into a bit of an essay!

It's cool. I think if I do my research well as you said I'll be fine. Do you think it gave you any information that would make you stand out?
Reply 197
Original post by Junaid16
Your GCSEs are fine with Oxbridge. Your choices are completely realistic, provided that your AS grades are up to scratch.

Thanks for the reply:smile: So your saying it's not completely ridiculous to rule our LSE or Kings, or even Oxbridge? Although, would it be a waste of an application space for Oxbridge, as I assume even with good AS predictions, they would go for candidates who would generally have more A*'s from their GCSE's?

Also, just one more thing, I was advised to join the citizens advice bureau, though I've received an application form, they say I would be on the waiting list till they take on new volunteers in December. I know it still would be a great thing to do for your community and you would learn a lot of life skills but in regards to UCAS and Universities, would it still be worth mentioning on my UCAS form that I intend to be a volunteer, or would most uni's disregard that as your only going to in the future, not have done so in the past?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 198
It's cool. I think if I do my research well as you said I'll be fine. Do you think it gave you any information that would make you stand out?

Not really directly, it was useful for providing links to and recommendations for sites/books to take a look at:
http://www.rollonfriday.com
http://www.legalweek.com
http://l2b.thelawyer.com

The books recommended were:
The Law Machine - Berlins & Dyer
Learning the Law - Williams
Letters to a Law Student - McBride
although a lot of people tend to read the above, so though they're good for overviews, it's probably worth finding something else as well :smile:
If anyone is able to offer some advice, could you please give me opinion on the following universities' reputations.

1. Reading v. UEA v. Lancaster
2. QMUL v. SOAS (Please, without the QM bandwagon)

Thanks,

Adam

Quick Reply