The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Ahh Bristol offers are starting to go out by the look of the offers article- I'm so desperate to get an offer!
Reply 2001
Original post by L - Jilla94
had an offer from Cardiff on the 11th for Law and French, anyone else applied for/ had an offer for this course? also been invited to an open day on the 22nd February :smile: also had an offer from UWE and waiting on conformation of my offer from Exeter for the LLB/Maitrise dual degree, waiting on Reading and Birmingham though!

I got my offer from Birmingham today and UCAS processed my application on the 15th November :smile: So they should be starting tio give their offers out after the backlog from XMAS holiday
Reply 2002
Original post by RunLikeAFairy
Hey, have you sat your LNAT yet? And don't forget they will be dealing with the Christmas back log, good luck!

Got my Birmingham offer today AAB :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2003
sussex vs sheffield? which is better hold offers from both (AAA, AAA)
Reply 2004
Also guys which universities for law would you order in terms of pretigue, social life and employability? Brunel, Liverpool, Sussex, Sheffield & Newcastle?? :smile:
Original post by 5saqibm
Also guys which universities for law would you order in terms of pretigue, social life and employability? Brunel, Liverpool, Sussex, Sheffield & Newcastle?? :smile:

Prestige; Newcastle
Social life; Newcastle
Employability; Newcastle.

No contest.
Original post by LizAnn
I had that email too, but got offer from Nottingham on Monday. :smile: My UCAS was sent off around 31st October, and I did my LNAT on 24th November.

Oh congrats! UCAS processed my application on the 7th of Dec and I took my LNAT in the beginning of Nov. :smile: I bet it'll take a while before they reply. How long was it between that email and your offer?
Reply 2007
Original post by Akiraryuu
Oh congrats! UCAS processed my application on the 7th of Dec and I took my LNAT in the beginning of Nov. :smile: I bet it'll take a while before they reply. How long was it between that email and your offer?

I got the email on 11th November, so it was pretty much two months between getting that and receving an offer. I would imagine that offers might start coming through a bit quicker after the UCAS deadline on Sunday- hopefully you won't have to wait right until the end of February for a reply. :smile: Where else have you applied to?
Rejected by kings :frown:

"Thank you for your application to King's College London. Your application has now been carefully considered. Whilst you meet the entrance requirements for the programme, applications are considered in a competitive environment. We have received many applications this year and due to the competition for places have had to disappoint many candidates. Therefore, I regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in obtaining a place on the programme"

Whilst I meet the entrance requirements, does that mean my Lnat was good ? A levels bad ? vice versa or is that just a generic message ?
Original post by LizAnn
I got the email on 11th November, so it was pretty much two months between getting that and receving an offer. I would imagine that offers might start coming through a bit quicker after the UCAS deadline on Sunday- hopefully you won't have to wait right until the end of February for a reply. :smile: Where else have you applied to?

Ah, hope so. After all, no news for now is good news :smile: I applied to Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham and UCL. Got offers from the first three now waiting for the latter two. What about you? :biggrin:

Original post by Myth717
Rejected by kings :frown:

"Thank you for your application to King's College London. Your application has now been carefully considered. Whilst you meet the entrance requirements for the programme, applications are considered in a competitive environment. We have received many applications this year and due to the competition for places have had to disappoint many candidates. Therefore, I regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in obtaining a place on the programme"

Whilst I meet the entrance requirements, does that mean my Lnat was good ? A levels bad ? vice versa or is that just a generic message ?

I think it was most probably either your LNAT or Personal Statement.
Ah, hope so. After all, no news for now is good news :smile: I applied to Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham and UCL. Got offers from the first three now waiting for the latter two. What about you? :biggrin:

I think it was most probably either your LNAT or Personal Statement.

my personal statement was good enough I guess it was my lnat, that test is so stupid ! -.- grrr ... :frown:
Original post by Myth717
my personal statement was good enough I guess it was my lnat, that test is so stupid ! -.- grrr ... :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: I think I screwed up my LNAT too. I barely passed 500 words on my essay. Where else did you apply to?
I'm sorry to hear that. :frown: I think I screwed up my LNAT too. I barely passed 500 words on my essay. Where else did you apply to?

UCL
LSE
Nottingham
Warwick
Kings

I had no sleep for 48 hours due to illness :/ hence could not concentrate on the passages and for my essay I managed something like 200 words or so ?
Reply 2013
No, it would be because King's receives 700 qualified applications for 200 places. By qualified, I mean 700 students with an LNAT of 21 plus A*AA. Since they can only take 200 of these, they go through and look at whether the A levels are in what they call hard or soft subjects. So an A in Maths is likely to pull more weight than one in legal studies, because A Level legal studies is a joke. It is on the King's webpage, they seem to prefer hard As in the sciences even though they have not relationship with law. Also, many candidates have 4 or 5 As, so they then rank above those with 3 As.
Original post by Myth717
UCL
LSE
Nottingham
Warwick
Kings

I had no sleep for 48 hours due to illness :/ hence could not concentrate on the passages and for my essay I managed something like 200 words or so ?

I guess the best for now is to get an offer from LSE. Is Warwick a LNAT university as well? All the best for the rest of the universities!
I guess the best for now is to get an offer from LSE. Is Warwick a LNAT university as well? All the best for the rest of the universities!

Chances are really slim for LSE as for Warwick nope they do not require lnat.
Reply 2016
Original post by Jenny933
No, it would be because King's receives 700 qualified applications for 200 places. By qualified, I mean 700 students with an LNAT of 21 plus A*AA. Since they can only take 200 of these, they go through and look at whether the A levels are in what they call hard or soft subjects. So an A in Maths is likely to pull more weight than one in legal studies, because A Level legal studies is a joke. It is on the King's webpage, they seem to prefer hard As in the sciences even though they have not relationship with law. Also, many candidates have 4 or 5 As, so they then rank above those with 3 As.

I think this makes a lot of sense. I was initially quite upset at rejections from the A*AA uni's (Cambs, KCL, UCL) but on greater reflection realise that my application just isn't strong enough to compete with those who have the required grades/subjects and LNAT scores. It's horrible to admit it to yourself but I probably wouldn't have offered me a place if it was between myself and some of the amazing A*A*AA candidates.
Original post by Jenny933

Please ignore the above post which is rubbish.

I am not going to comment on everything but King's received in total for its law undergraduate degrees in 2010, 2908 applicants. By UCAS figures it admitted 371 students. By its own figures it admitted 408. Presumably the difference represented people admitted through special schemes not involving UCAS.
Reply 2018
Original post by nulli tertius
Please ignore the above post which is rubbish.

I am not going to comment on everything but King's received in total for its law undergraduate degrees in 2010, 2908 applicants. By UCAS figures it admitted 371 students. By its own figures it admitted 408. Presumably the difference represented people admitted through special schemes not involving UCAS.

The numbers may be false but I think the general point is relevant. Even more so going by your figures. You'd have to be particularly spectacular to be one of the 400 applicants accepted and not one of the 2500 unsuccessful applicants.
Got an offer for Kent and Sheffield just gotta wait to hear back from Exeter then big decision time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending