Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Jeebus42
UMS marks are not percentages.

We know, but we're talking about the average for each AS :h:
Reply 241
Original post by Junaid16
Well good luck! Considering your grades, I doubt you'll be able to avoid the LNAT, since you're well in with a shot at the very top unis.:u: I suppose, I'd be perfectly with only one offer though. This thread seems strangely dead, considering that 'Law' is allegedly one of the most competitive courses, and in comparison to other course threads, which have hundreds of pages, I suppose it's good for us.:biggrin:

Your AS UMS kick mine well into touch.:colone: Are you continuing with 4A2's?

Thank you! You too! We shall have to keep in touch on here to see how we get on :awesome: I'm sure you'll get more than one, you're grades are good! It does seem dead! I thought there would be loads of people! From my lurking around TSR I've seen mainly maths applicants :tongue: Haha yes, hope that there is less competition :colone:

I plan to! If I was going to drop any it would have been drama, but I enjoy it so I think I'll carry it on :yep:
Reply 242
When should I apply online for the LNAT? and do I have to fill in a special form from my school or do I just register online and thats it?

Plus, what do you think my chances are of getting into the following unis based on my AS results-

History- A
Geography- A
English Lit- B ( 1 mark off an A so going to get it remarked)
Economics- C

The unis I was thinking of applying to are: UCL, QMUL, Kent, Sussex, Surrey

GCSE results were: A*AAAAAAABBC
Reply 243
going to apply for durham, nottingham and birmingham.. can't decide about oxford :s got 9 a*s/1 a at gcse, 4 A'S at as and will be predicted 1A/2A*s but know i will muck up LNAT !!!
Are people aware that Durham has now gone up to A*AA?. It just gets worse and worse.:colonhash:
Reply 245
Original post by Sue1961
Yes, the test is expensive and obviously you must read a quality newspaper - daily. It is just a shame that Pearson Vue only offer one practice test.

Just make sure you are completely prepared for LNAT and good luck to you!

I've never really bought the "read a quality newspaper" approach to LNAT prep. If your grades are good enough to apply for unis that require the LNAT, the passages the LNAT requires you to read really shouldn't be too tough. It might be vaguely helpful for the essay question, but I don't think it's particularly crucial.
Reply 246
Durham too? That's great. At least UCL haven't gone the way of KCL and QMUL though.
A English Language
B Mathematics
B Business Studies
D Physics

Advise what good uni's I have a good chance of getting into to study Law?
Reply 248
I posted earlier on before I got my AS results so this is a kind of update. Results are as follows:

GCSE - I got 8A*s and 2 As.
AS Level- AAAA in Maths, English lit, German and Physics
A2 Level - A in Maths

I've decided on applying for:
Oxford
UCL
Nottingham
Newcastle
Leeds

I have the LNAT booked for October 1st so I'm ready to get going, good luck to everyone else! :smile:
Reply 249
Are people aware that Durham has now gone up to A*AA?. It just gets worse and worse.:colonhash:

Really? :gasp: Ouch. I'm tying to figure out where I want to apply for sure now, but I'm still undecided on most!
Original post by racaha
Really? :gasp: Ouch. I'm tying to figure out where I want to apply for sure now, but I'm still undecided on most!

:yep: I'm seriously considering jacking it in. It does seem like Durham have bumped quite a few courses to A*AA getting ideas above their station if you ask me. Now that's KCL,QMUL,LSE,Cambridge and Durham, who are asking for A*AA. Wasn't applying to the first three anyway, but now there's no way I'm applying to more than one A*AA uni. With your perfect AS, the world's your oyster.:tongue:
Reply 251
I really don't understand why unis like QMUL and KCL are asking for A*AA when arguably better unis like UCL are only asking for AAA...
Reply 252
Original post by TFS
I posted earlier on before I got my AS results so this is a kind of update. Results are as follows:

GCSE - I got 8A*s and 2 As.
AS Level- AAAA in Maths, English lit, German and Physics
A2 Level - A in Maths

I've decided on applying for:
Oxford
UCL
Nottingham
Newcastle
Leeds

I have the LNAT booked for October 1st so I'm ready to get going, good luck to everyone else! :smile:

Whens the latest do you think someone should apply for the LNAT?.. just wondering because I'm going to have to do the LNAT but I might have to wait till September before applying as I need to ask my school some questions.. do you think leaving it till septemeber is too late? (im not applying to oxford btw).
Reply 253
:yep: I'm seriously considering jacking it in. It does seem like Durham have bumped quite a few courses to A*AA getting ideas above their station if you ask me. Now that's KCL,QMUL,LSE,Cambridge and Durham, who are asking for A*AA. Wasn't applying to the first three anyway, but now there's no way I'm applying to more than one A*AA uni. With your perfect AS, the world's your oyster.:tongue:

I was unsure about applying to Durham or not, so this is something else to consider too. Going to have a proper look at all the websites tonight and see what I think and make a list. Need to get deciding! I think I'll decide whether or not I could see myself firming Durham over others like Newcastle and if not then I'm not going to bother applying because it would be a waste if I wouldn't firm it and it would be a higher insurance than my firm :tongue: Your AS aren't too far behind!
Original post by Jeebus42
Durham too? That's great. At least UCL haven't gone the way of KCL and QMUL though.

Good.
Reply 255
Original post by tehforum
Good.

:hi:
Reply 256
GCSE grades: A* in History, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Geog, Maths and RS.
A in Bio, Chem, Physics and French.
Distinction in IT
AS: Government and Politics 198/200 A 99%
History 194/200 A 97%
Eng Lang 171/200 A 85.5%
Eng Lit 170/200 A 85%

Applying to:
Oxford (Balliol)
UCL
KCL
Birmingham
Warwick
I appreciate that these are all top unis, but I've decided not to have an insurance and to just reapply next year if I don't get any offers.
LNAT is booked for 29th Sept.
I have also done work experience at Pinsent Masons.
Reply 257
Original post by Harry.K
Whens the latest do you think someone should apply for the LNAT?.. just wondering because I'm going to have to do the LNAT but I might have to wait till September before applying as I need to ask my school some questions.. do you think leaving it till septemeber is too late? (im not applying to oxford btw).

No, you could leave it until September easily. This is from the LNAT website:

Start dates (do not sit the LNAT before the summer holiday as your result will not be carried forward):
UCAS registration already open
LNAT registration begins 1 August 2011
LNAT test sittings from 1 September 2011
UCAS applications can be submitted from mid-September 2011

Deadlines if you are applying to Oxford (Oxford will not consider later applications):
Register and book an LNAT test slot by 5 October 2011
Submit UCAS form by 15 October 2011
Sit the LNAT by 20 October 2011 at the very latest

Deadlines for applications to other LNAT universities if you want to guarantee that your application will be considered:
Register and book an LNAT test slot by 15 January 2012
Submit UCAS form by 15 January 2012
Sit the LNAT by 20 January 2012 (the deadline for King’s College London is 15th January 2012)

Making late applications to other LNAT universities (often applies to international applicants only - please check with universities):
Register and book and LNAT test slot by 25 June 2012
Submit UCAS form between 16 January and 30 June 2012
Sit the LNAT by 30 June 2012
Reply 258
No problem:tongue: Are you going to be going for any LNAT unis.:eek:

They were well below the 90% average.:mad:

English Literature 88%
Government and Politics 84%
Economics 83%
Philosophy 74% DROPPED.:angry:

I think, I will apply, but at least, I won't 'expect' to get in, which means no tears will be shred when and if the rejection letter comes through. How were your UMS?

I forgot to ask and feel a wee bit silly asking, but you know this whole 90% thing? I've read about it by lurking on various threads on TSR :lurk: but what does it actually mean? Like I know the general idea I've got from them is 90%+ is good but what is the relevance of it in the application? Is it just a case of high scores are good and no more? I didn't even know about it until I read it on the threads :teehee: Sorry if this is a stupid question :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by racaha
I forgot to ask and feel a wee bit silly asking, but you know this whole 90% thing? I've read about it by lurking on various threads on TSR :lurk: but what does it actually mean? Like I know the general idea I've got from them is 90%+ is good but what is the relevance of it in the application? Is it just a case of high scores are good and no more? I didn't even know about it until I read it on the threads :teehee: Sorry if this is a stupid question :colondollar:

Aha, no problem, feel priviledged that you came to me.:tongue: As far as I know, the major significance of the 90% is that it will strengthen your Cambridge application. It also means you're well on course for an A*, but you would have been even with a mere 80% so that's not too important. Also, it leaves you with alot more leeway at A2, you could potentially get C's in your A2 exams and come away with 'A' grades. The main impact at colleges is that since you've got 90% you're likely to be predicted A*'s across the board, whilst, some colleges WON'T predict you an A* if you get below 90% at AS. Also, It could benefit you to get your high UMS scores included in your reference, as it will instill more confidence in your chosen unis when judging your abillity. Including it in your reference will also help, since I've read somewhere that without the inclusion of UMS in the reference,they will judge your 90% exactly the same as 80% as they'll be none the wiser.

Hope this helps.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending