The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rdsnell
GCSE grades: A* in History, Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Geog, Maths and RS.
A in Bio, Chem, Physics and French.
Distinction in IT
AS: Government and Politics 198/200 A 99%
History 194/200 A 97%
Eng Lang 171/200 A 85.5%
Eng Lit 170/200 A 85%

Applying to:
Oxford (Balliol)
UCL
KCL
Birmingham
Warwick
I appreciate that these are all top unis, but I've decided not to have an insurance and to just reapply next year if I don't get any offers.
LNAT is booked for 29th Sept.
I have also done work experience at Pinsent Masons.

Narrow-minded thinking in my opinion. It's good to have just one insurance choice, an AAB uni. If you don't get into any of those choices, you'll then need to apply to law schools with slightly lower requirements, which is where you could have been, by taking a sensible insurance choice first time round.

I also believe that most, if not all of those, use the LNAT. If you screw that up, then you're wasting your time and money.
Reply 261
Original post by Junaid16
Aha, no problem, feel priviledged that you came to me.:tongue: As far as I know, the major significance of the 90% is that it will strengthen your Cambridge application. It also means you're well on course for an A*, but you would have been even with a mere 80% so that's not too important. Also, it leaves you with alot more leeway at A2, you could potentially get C's in your A2 exams and come away with 'A' grades. The main impact at colleges is that since you've got 90% you're likely to be predicted A*'s across the board, whilst, some colleges WON'T predict you an A* if you get below 90% at AS. Also, It could benefit you to get your high UMS scores included in your reference, as it will instill more confidence in your chosen unis when judging your abillity. Including it in your reference will also help, since I've read somewhere that without the inclusion of UMS in the reference,they will judge your 90% exactly the same as 80% as they'll be none the wiser.

Hope this helps.:smile:

Oh okay! That helps a lot :yep: So it's another factor that is good in an application and means that your teachers can have a clear way to show/assess your potential? :smile: Thanks a lot :yep:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 262
Original post by admbeatmaker
Narrow-minded thinking in my opinion. It's good to have just one insurance choice, an AAB uni. If you don't get into any of those choices, you'll then need to apply to law schools with slightly lower requirements, which is where you could have been, by taking a sensible insurance choice first time round.

I also believe that most, if not all of those, use the LNAT. If you screw that up, then you're wasting your time and money.

I cant really see how it is narrow minded thinking at all. Why not aim as high as possible, and im also applying for gap year schemes as a back up. I wouldnt mind the gap year in order to raise some money, and why not give yourself two chances to get into a top uni, rather than one.
And yes, only warwick doesnt use the LNAT, but I feel well prepared for it and is only one part of the application.
If i reapply with my A2s I hope to have at least one A* grade in the bag, with nothing less than an A, so this should make me even more competitive the second time around.
Gaining life experience on a gap year can never be a bad thing if you use it in a constructive fashion, and itll only cost me another £50 for the LNAT and £22 for UCAS if i have to reapply, so I think i can just about absorb the cost :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rdsnell
I cant really see how it is narrow minded thinking at all. Why not aim as high as possible, and im also applying for gap year schemes as a back up. I wouldnt mind the gap year in order to raise some money, and why not give yourself two chances to get into a top uni, rather than one.
And yes, only warwick doesnt use the LNAT, but I feel well prepared for it and is only one part of the application.
If i reapply with my A2s I hope to have at least one A* grade in the bag, with nothing less than an A, so this should make me even more competitive the second time around.
Gaining life experience on a gap year can never be a bad thing if you use it in a constructive fashion, and itll only cost me another £50 for the LNAT and £22 for UAS if i have to reapply, so I think i can just about absorb the cost :smile:

Sounds like you have plan, dude.

Best of luck with that, but I do perhaps maintain that for anyone, they're best to have an insurance choice.
GCSE grades: AAABBBBBBCC
AS:
Personal Finance - A
English Literature - A
Philosophy - C (Resitting)
A2
Law - B
Psychology - D (having remark)

Applying to:
Reading
Cardiff
Aberystwyth
UEA
Exeter
Hello everyone :borat:

I'm applying for Law this year after changing my mind about History at the wrong time, and forgoing the nice low fees of 2011 :frown:

Grades:
9*2A GCSE
2*2A(+Gen Stud) A-level

Applying:
Haven't got much of an idea yet. Probably Durham and Nottingham, possibly Oxford.
(edited 12 years ago)
I sort of messed up my AS's and I think I'll have a hard time persuading my teachers to raise my predicted grades, so I thought about focusing on my A2's this year and not applying. Instead I was thinking about applying in my planned gap year when I complete my A-levels, worth it? Or should I just give it a shot this year?

Anybody??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 267
Think this thread need a bump :yep:

So, how did everyone do? still applying for Law? have your choices changed? I got AAAB: abit 'meh' but still a year to go:colonhash:

i got the same!
i know what you mean by "meh" i was a bit dissapointed with my B but still with three A's i've got a good shot.

btw, my sister got AAAC at AS and she's doing law at warwick this year so it's looking good:smile:
GCSE: 1A* 10A
AS: A (99% History) A (Eng. Lit.) B (Biology) C (Maths - I was 0.7% from getting a B :frown:)
Predicted A2: A*AA

Unfortunately I didn't achieve the A AS grades that I wanted to. However, I'm going to drop Maths and resit a Biology exam.
Do you think these Universities are a bit too ambitious, and will they be put of by the B AS grade in Biology?

UCL
Birmingham (Website says that their typical offers are either AAA or A*AB) OR Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds OR Warwick
Kent

Also, which two out of Warwick, Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham do you think I should go for (not considering factors such as Uni location/lifestyle).

Thanks to anyone who helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by viix
i got the same!
i know what you mean by "meh" i was a bit dissapointed with my B but still with three A's i've got a good shot.

btw, my sister got AAAC at AS and she's doing law at warwick this year so it's looking good:smile:

Small world! my brother just graduated from there. Not only that, but when I see people's 95% UMS score, abit of me dies inside.:biggrin: What are your subjects/uni choices?

Original post by Borderline
GCSE: 1A* 10A
AS: A (99% History) A (Eng. Lit.) B (Biology) C (Maths - I was 0.7% from getting a B :frown:)
Predicted A2: A*AA

Unfortunately I didn't achieve the A AS grades that I wanted to. However, I'm going to drop Maths and resit a Biology exam.
Do you think these Universities are a bit too ambitious, and will they be put of by the B AS grade in Biology?

UCL
Birmingham (Website says that their typical offers are either AAA or A*AB) OR Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds OR Warwick
Kent

Also, which two out of Warwick, Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham do you think I should go for (not considering factors such as Uni location/lifestyle).

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Your grade 'B' at AS won't matter, since officially you only need 3A2's and plenty of students only do three. AFAIK, Warwick ask for a 'C' at AS, which you have, and Kings ask for an 'A', but you're not planning to apply there, so it's fine.:smile:

Your choices seem very conservative, if anything I'd advise you to apply slightly higher. Out of those two, I would personally go for Warwick and Birmingham.

You should think about removing Kent unless you're hell-bent on having an insurance.

UCL
Birmingham
Warwick/Manchester
Sheffield
+Leeds.

The above would be enough to secure at least 1 offer in my opinion. Bear in mind, that UCL,Birmingham and Manchester would require the LNAT, another reason to choose Warwick.:u:
Reply 270
Small world! my brother just graduated from there. Not only that, but when I see people's 95% UMS score, abit of me dies inside.:biggrin: What are your subjects/uni choices?

i guess it is a small world! lol
i took history, gov + pol, english lit and economics

no wories, i admit my A grade ums scores were pretty high, but my b (in economics) was so low...
at 74% ums i was lucky to even get a B at all. :frown:
Here to help. :hello:
[QUOTE="viix;33554611"]
Original post by viix

i guess it is a small world! lol
i took history, gov + pol, english lit and economics

no wories, i admit my A grade ums scores were pretty high, but my b (in economics) was so low...
at 74% ums i was lucky to even get a B at all. :frown:

I did all of those subjects, bar History, did Philosophy instead.:eek:

Original post by Doughnuts!!

Hey, will you be doing PS help, even though you're not a 'official' PS helper?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 273
[QUOTE="Junaid16;33554840"]
Original post by viix

I did all of those subjects, bar History, did Philosophy instead.:eek:

really? wow it really is a small world:smile:

btw, are you taking three or four next year?
Reply 274
Hi,

Just picked up AS level grades tday and found out that I got the following:

History - A
Economics - B (2 marks off an A so will gt it after a remark)
Chemistry - B
Maths - c ( got an E in mechanics, so after retake f that should get A or B)

GCSE: 5A* 6A'S

Work experience: Dundas and wilson and taylor vinters as well as a few visits to courts

I am a bit disappointed (i got 3A's and a B in mock AS levels) but I would like to do law at somewhere like:
UCL/LSE
Nottingham
Birmingham
Warwick ( I think Oxford is out the question now)
Insurance choice

Obviously I need to be predicted 3 A's for A-level to do law at any of the institutions mentioned, but do u guys reckon that the Uni's listed are over ambition for the AS levels mentioned; I reckon i will be predicted the crucial 3 A's for a-level from the results I got at AS, but obviously can't be certain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 275
I would not suggest you applying for a place at LSE. Incredibly competetive and your chances are not particularly high with those grades.

The rest seems to be fine.

Hey, will you be doing PS help, even though you're not a 'official' PS helper?

Yup!

Tbh, I'm willing to help people with all aspects of their application.
Reply 277
Original post by Kwak
I would not suggest you applying for a place at LSE. Incredibly competetive and your chances are not particularly high with those grades.

The rest seems to be fine.

Tbh I was personally swaying towards UCL if I had to make that choice, (since 90% of grads got jobs in 6mths) I just wanted to be assured that I had a good chance of a successful application to that institution.
[QUOTE="viix;33555615"]
Original post by viix

really? wow it really is a small world:smile:

btw, are you taking three or four next year?

I'm not too sure, I got a 'B' in Philosophy, so still deciding whether, or not it's worth it. What about you?:smile:
Reply 279
Original post by Doughnuts!!

I may be nagging you a LOT. :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending