The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tkane
Well since I visited this thread then yes I must be a Law applicant too :wink:

I am pretty sure that even if you have forwarded your results then you would be able to resit the exams as unis in the UK only confirm places in August AFAIK. Comfirm with them if you can still resit, I am pretty sure you can.

With your current grades I doubt Kings would accept you....Bristol maybe.

So I've heard as well...Yeah, my best bet right now is Bristol..Hopefully I hear something from either universities. :smile:

I'm pretty sure I can resit too, but the problem is registration for Edexcel has closed, and we now have to pay triple the fees to be able to sit for the paper (and I'm not even sure if THAT is still open), and I can't afford that. Also, I'm working to save up for university (my family's financial situation isn't exactly great...dad had to take up a lot of loans to fund my sister's medical school tuition), and I absolutely do not have the time to study.. I'm working full time. So I guess my best bet is Bristol..really really really hoping for it, though. :smile: Thanks a lot, tkane! <3
Original post by AnonCoconut
Hi mathsmusicfrench,

I'd be more than happy to, if King's freaking answered my emails. XD The thing is, I'm Malaysian, and there's an 8 hour time difference, and I'm working, so calling is tiny bit hard, except for weekends, when it's pointless. See, my question is, the admissions officer lady already TOLD me that my results are insufficient to let me in. Plus, by the time they actually replied my email with my results, the registration period for the Edexcel exams were over, and we would have to pay triple the original amount for a late entry. Unfortunately, my family's financial circumstances don't allow me the liberty to sign up with three times the amount (add in the exchange rate and I may as well do my A Levels all over again).

:frown: Thanks for your help though.. At this point, I've kind of given up on King's and am praying really hard for Bristol. Bristol wanted AAB, I got A*BB, but they have my UMS marks and everything, so I've been told I have a good chance of getting in there. Plus, from what I gather, English Literature is pretty highly regarded by universities, and that's what I got my A* for, so here's hoping. :smile:

Ok, I see, You might have a shot at Bristol then, applications numbers are down there this year I believe. I got in but will be rejecting my place. (I have AAB) A*BB is essentially as good anyway, better even seeing as its almost A*AB.

Good luck then...
Any idea why the number of Bristol applicants are falling? I thought they were as competitive as KCL and Nottingham for instance.
Original post by flakepaint
Any idea why the number of Bristol applicants are falling? I thought they were as competitive as KCL and Nottingham for instance.

Hi there,

According the evidence I gathered from sneaking around various threads, apparently Bristol went from top three to top five since last year. (shock horror) I'm not complaining, though, it means more of a shot for me, to be honest. :wink:
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Ok, I see, You might have a shot at Bristol then, applications numbers are down there this year I believe. I got in but will be rejecting my place. (I have AAB) A*BB is essentially as good anyway, better even seeing as its almost A*AB.

Good luck then...

Thank you so much, that's really nice. :smile: And I sincerely hope you get to do whatever and wherever you want to...Everyone's dreams should come true. :smile: I'll be happy with either King's or Bristol, but it's just that not being rejected yet is giving me false hope about King's.

About the fall in Bristol applicants, I honestly can't quite figure out what it is. meanwhile, from what I gather, King's might be having a fall in applicants too, thanks to the A*AA and LNAT thing.. where are you planning to go, btw? And AAB is great. :biggrin: You'd easily get something even better than Bristol, if that's what you're aiming for. :smile:
Reply 3605
I'm not here to spam, but I need a little help. My best friends band is in this Hard Rock Rising contest, where bands from over 86 cities across the world are competing. The ten bands with the highest votes gets to travel to London and play in Hyde Park with other well known bands. They're called 'Franks Got the Funk' and I would be really grateful if you guys could put in a vote for them and you could download their songs too. Help them get their big break :smile: Thanks.

The link is down below:

http://https://www.facebook.com/HardRockHyderabad/app_205164529573076?app_data=artist%3A428177
Reply 3606

Bristol are nowhere near as competitive as Kings or to an extent Nottingham. They'll happily accept below average LNAT scores, not sure if they'll be lenient with offers though.

I gave some thoughts here

Moreover Bristol is increasing its undergraduate numbers by 20% this year.

http://www.epigram.org.uk/2011/12/bristol-to-take-on-20-more-students/
Original post by AnonCoconut
where are you planning to go, btw? And AAB is great. :biggrin: You'd easily get something even better than Bristol, if that's what you're aiming for. :smile:

Haha, I don't want to sound too full of myself, but I got offers from UCL, Bristol, Exeter and others, but decided to head to Exeter for the Joint Honours LLB/Maitrise (French LLB) Helped out by a good LNAT and PS, but I wish now I'd been even more ambitious and applied to Oxford maybe. But the grades weren't really good enough for there... Idk, I'm happy with the course at Exeter anyway, should be fun. Good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Haha, I don't want to sound too full of myself, but I got offers from UCL, Bristol, Exeter and others, but decided to head to Exeter for the Joint Honours LLB/Maitrise (French LLB) Helped out by a good LNAT and PS, but I wish now I'd been even more ambitious and applied to Oxford maybe. But the grades weren't really good enough for there... Idk, I'm happy with the course at Exeter anyway, should be fun. Good luck to you too! :biggrin:

lol you'll be getting flamed by some elitist on here for turning down UCL for Exeter.
Original post by Tsunami2011
lol you'll be getting flamed by some elitist on here for turning down UCL for Exeter.

I thought about this non-stop for about 3 weeks, finally decided it was the right thing to do. Bring on the elitists, I can take them on... :L (TBH I had other attractions to Exeter as well... Involving £3k p.a.... :biggrin: )

EDIT: having said that I was IMMENSELY chuffed to get an offer, still regard it as the best uni outside Oxbridge and quite fancy doing some postgrad there one day... Just think the course at Exeter is better.
(edited 11 years ago)
I thought about this non-stop for about 3 weeks, finally decided it was the right thing to do. Bring on the elitists, I can take them on... :L (TBH I had other attractions to Exeter as well... Involving £3k p.a.... :biggrin: )

EDIT: having said that I was IMMENSELY chuffed to get an offer, still regard it as the best uni outside Oxbridge and quite fancy doing some postgrad there one day... Just think the course at Exeter is better.

Yeah good on you! in the real world, prestige seems to matter far less. 3k fees? or 3k busuraries?
Nah I've got a scholarship worth 3k a year if I go there, besides the normal scholarships and bursaries that they give: tuition fee waivers, accomodation busary and access to exeter grant. Puts me as quite a well-off student compared to scrounging in the bins for food in London...
Reply 3613

So you do get people turning down a more prestigious school for a different program :tongue: I was tempted to do a "you're turning down UCL for Exeter? WHAT??" but there is no real basis for that joke - this seems like the obvious choice if you want dual qualification. The UCL course just gives you a year abroad, whilst the Exeter one (I'm assuming since it's a Double Maitrise) allows you to spend two years at each with dual qualification in both France and England. Did you consider applying to KCL? I know a couple of people doing this program there.
Original post by ratio
The UCL course just gives you a year abroad, whilst the Exeter one (I'm assuming since it's a Double Maitrise) allows you to spend two years at each with dual qualification in both France and England. Did you consider applying to KCL? I know a couple of people doing this program there.

The Exeter is 3 in England and 1 in France. The UCL doesn't give you any real qualifications in France, also the minor point that I was accepted onto the straight 3 year LLB at UCL. I didn't consider apply to KCL, mainly becuase I was applying to UCL and it's either or really. I now realise I should have applied to KCL, probably instead of UCL, but for reasons totally separate from the law degree.

I applied to UCL, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff and UEA and had unconditionals back from each. I now wish my application was more like: Oxford/Cambridge, KCL, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff/UEA. But the biggest lesson of the UCAS journey for me is that it doesn't matter, really. It really doesn't. It's more about which uni you like the feel of, which course suits you, and getting a first once you get there. All fun and games of life, in 10 years I probably won't even remember where else I applied...
Reply 3615
The Exeter is 3 in England and 1 in France. The UCL doesn't give you any real qualifications in France, also the minor point that I was accepted onto the straight 3 year LLB at UCL. I didn't consider apply to KCL, mainly becuase I was applying to UCL and it's either or really. I now realise I should have applied to KCL, probably instead of UCL, but for reasons totally separate from the law degree.

I applied to UCL, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff and UEA and had unconditionals back from each. I now wish my application was more like: Oxford/Cambridge, KCL, Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff/UEA. But the biggest lesson of the UCAS journey for me is that it doesn't matter, really. It really doesn't. It's more about which uni you like the feel of, which course suits you, and getting a first once you get there. All fun and games of life, in 10 years I probably won't even remember where else I applied...

Ah, I assumed the 2-2 structure because KCL's Maitrise is structured that way. Oh well, no use or reason to wish differently anyway: Cambridge has suspended their Double Maitrise and Oxford's Law with French Law does not confer any special qualifications in France, as far as I know. Plus, with the additional financial incentive to go to Exeter, KCL may not have matched up. Things probably worked out right.

I think, on balance, you're right. (On balance because I think it "doesn't matter" as long as you're within a calibre of 12-15, maybe slightly more, universities but this is purely conjecture and I could be wrong. Also, I am no longer viewing the likelihood of attaining a first with rose tinted glasses as many, including Doughnuts!!, have reminded me that only 5% of first years achieve it.)
Original post by ratio
Also, I am no longer viewing the likelihood of attaining a first with rose tinted glasses as many, including Doughnuts!!, have reminded me that only 5% of first years achieve it.)

I would have to agree! You're off to Cambridge though so I'm not suprised that you're not banking on a first:wink: In general, I do think too many people assume that they'll be able to get a first as long as they put in the effort. I personally have set a mid 2:1 as my benchmark, largely because I'm a lazy **** and have been told how hard it is to get a first in law especially at one of the 'top' law schools. To get a first from what I hear, you need to actually live and breath law and pretty much dedicate your whole time to it, and I think lots of people will be shocked by that.
(edited 11 years ago)
For oxbridge I would have applied for straight Law, no frills. Yes I agree to the "12-15 maybe-slightly-more unis" clause. All I know is first year at Exeter doesn't count for your final classification. In other words: Win. :biggrin: Also that on my course over the last four years between 13 and 21% of graduates have achieved a first. Not a bad stat. Anyway, nice talking to yo but I'm afraid I've more presssing matters to deal with now... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1969648&page=7&p=37106926#post37106926

:P
Reply 3618
Original post by Tsunami2011
I would have to agree! You're off to Cambridge though so I'm not suprised that you're not banking on a first:wink: In general, I do think too many people assume that they'll be able to get a first as long as they put in the effort. I personally have set a mid 2:1 as my benchmark, largely because I'm a lazy **** and have been told how hard it is to get a first in law especially at one of the 'top' law schools. To get a first from what I hear, you need to actually live and breath law and pretty much dedicate your whole time to it, and I think lots of people will be shocked by that.

Yup. It's interesting how many people who claim to love a place because of the nightlife or the wealth of activities available, yet, also assert that they will attain a first. The two are, of course, not mutually exclusive but it does take skill to achieve both. Some people will find it more rewarding to get a good 2:1 and have a better balance in life. Some will want to go down the path of academia or All Souls or something where a good first might be of paramount importance. Reminds me of the phrase: "At university you have to pick two from good grades, social life and sleep." Obviously, this makes unnecessary distinctions but it does have some truth to it, if you substitute good grades for "study".

(That said, I do want to live and breathe law. Sigh, if only intent counted towards degree class attainment haha.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ratio
Yup. It's interesting how many people who claim to love a place because of the nightlife or the wealth of activities available, yet, also assert that they will attain a first. The two are, of course, not mutually exclusive but it does take skill to achieve both. Some people will find it more rewarding to get a good 2:1 and have a better balance in life. Some will want to go down the path of academia or All Souls or something where a good first might be of paramount importance. Reminds me of the phrase: "At university you have to pick two from good grades, social life and sleep." Obviously, this makes unnecessary distinctions but it does have some truth to it, if you substitute good grades for "study".

(That said, I do want to live and breathe law. Sigh, if only intent counted towards degree class attainment haha.)

Yeah, I'd fit into the former category (provided it didn't harm my prospects too much) I'm slightly worrying about the prospect of the massess of reading to do, and whether I'll be able to actually take in any information (terrible attention span) I just think people underestimate how hard it will be to get into coveted club, probably something which requires dedication through the course of the year! Do you hope to go to the bar? I've always found that rather unappealing and daunting.

I was just about to mention that quote, then I realised you already had, I hear its even more applicable to law students:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest