Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Law Applicants 2012

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panayiotis)
    Dear mathsmusicfrench I would appreciate it a lot if you could provide me with some information on the UCL Law/French Law course.
    Ok. Having decided, I've essentially forgotten all specific information on all other courses, including what people have said to me, but I will try and remember and redo some research and get back to you with specifics.

I looked at the course, didn't fancy it, and decided to apply for Law LLB, but then I said in my application covering letter to UCL direct that I wouldn't mind consideration for the French course if they felt it was more appropriate and they were unable to offer me a place on the LLB. (the same happens in reverse for people who apply for French Law)

What I do remember is in the spoiler. (I figured I wouldn't "spoil" everyone's life by boring them with the petty details of my brain's inner workings)

Spoiler:
    Show

From what I remember you don't actually gain anything tangible from an extra year of uni debt, and countless hours of struggling with essays and lectures in French. You get no tuition in the language, and lectures are in French from day 1. Other places (Exeter, Leicester, KCL?) give you a joint degree in two countries (maitrise), some places give you a joint degree in this country. I've just looked it up UCL gives you "a Bachelor of Laws honours degree from University College London together with a Diploma or Certificate in French Law. (UCL website)
    Now I'm not sure what that is really but it doesn't sound particularly CV enhancing for a lawyer in the UK.

Ok, I've remembered now what I heard. Someone I know (a pupil barrister, as it happens!) had a friend at UCL (can't remember if it was Law) who said that its quite factory-like in its processing of students, not much a sense of community (although the Law department is much more insular than the rest of the college.) The UCL course (if you look at the modules on their website) only has French law in years 1 and 2 and its lumped into one module entitled "European Legal studies (French)" part I and part II. It strikes me that UCL French Law is essentially a Law degree with a few modules about French Law thrown in, like you might opt for some modules in, say, Family law or Employment law. At other places it forms a more integral part of your course. For example at Exeter, the study of French law is broken into topics such as French Admin Law, French Constit Law, French Contract law and you study a module of French law each year. The people on the course become a support group for each other, (only about 20 places) which doesn't seem to happen in UCL necessarily.

I think people who apply for Law/French Law courses want one of two things.
    i) a QLD in the UK and a thorough grounding in French Law to satisfy their career ambitions/academic interests/other personal reasons such as growing up in France or being French

OR
    ii) a QLD in the UK with the opportunity to keep up and develop the French language they learnt at school.

I think UCL is the best place for neither of these. Essentially, that is why I don't rate their French Law course particularly above other similar courses and why I didn't apply.

A final point is that UCL is such a good place, such a reputable place, to study law, that if you are going there you might as well get on with it quickly and do a straight LLB, which is a highly rated degree from UCL and which will give you just as much respect and progress through a legal career/training for one as a French Law degree from UCL will, and in addition you will be one year less old and one year less poor.

I now need to attach the standard disclaimer where I say that UCL is a really, really, really good uni, and studying anything there is worth it. They don't offer "bad" courses so any degree is a winner really, and don't take my advice as a reason to avoid UCL.

There you are, that's everything I have to say, hope you enjoyed it, hope its helpful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask which uni is best out of: Warwick, Newcastle and QM?

for teaching quality, student satisfaction, employability (my personal order of preference)

and anything else you may deem important.
    Thanks in advance!!

(I've also had offers from reading (insurance) and leicester.
    Did well at GCSE 8A*s 6As then flopped AS's with ABBB which is why I didn't apply to the top top ones, but predicted A*AA which i'm working my ass off to try and get)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popsoda)

for teaching quality, student satisfaction and, employability (my personal order of preference)
    You can get all of that from any of the various league tables..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Sussex
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    You can get all of that from any of the various league tables..
    You can get numbers from a league table but you can't get individuals opinions and insights from people who have been to the unis or have friends that go to them etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i want to start LLB from open university as i can't go with regular, i have heard OU is not known outside Uk and whether would it be difficult for me to find a training contract or job?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_super789)
    i want to start LLB from open university as i can't go with regular, i have heard OU is not known outside Uk and whether would it be difficult for me to find a training contract or job?
    What are you interested in, its international reputation or its reputation with UK training contract providers?

The UK has in the Open University and the London External programmes two of the world's most renowned distance learning providers. The regard in which distance learning is held varies from country to country.

For UK training contract providers, the assumption would be that an Open University student is studying whilst holding down a full-time job. The respect for OU degrees largely comes from that. Without that full time job, an OU degree might not be seen as very strong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very good.
    QMUL is still not replying me.
    This is crazy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I jest, I jest.

But in all seriousness, I received my QMUL offer pretty late too. When I asked them what they were doing they said there has been an extraordinary number of applicants this year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Help.

Is it worth firming Warwick, and putting Bristol as an insurance (both AAA)?

Reason being, incase I miss AAA, then Bristol may on the off chance accept me?

I cite the falls in applicant numbers which may give me this chance.

Or should I play it safe and insure an AAB?

Thanks.

(Original post by nulli tertius)
    x
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Help.

Thanks.
    Looking at the offers thread, some have AAB offers and there's even an ABC offer. So in my opinion, definitely worth putting as an insurance choice.

At least that makes sense, not like somebody on here with a Notts AAB offer as firm and a QM A*AA offer as insurance. That really is just greediness.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admbeatmaker)
    Looking at the offers thread, some have AAB offers and there's even an ABC offer. So in my opinion, definitely worth putting as an insurance choice.

At least that makes sense, not like somebody on here with a Notts AAB offer as firm and a QM A*AA offer as insurance. That really is just greediness.
    The only problem with that is the AAB offers are given to those with education disadvantage. And the ABC probably is fake, or the person had serious mitigating circumstances.

Argh!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The only problem with that is the AAB offers are given to those with education disadvantage. And the ABC probably is fake, or the person had serious mitigated circumstances.

Argh!
    If you're interested, Warwick did say at the law open day that if you were to miss your offer by one grade in one subject, they'll still accept you if they have places. I was one of those educationally disadvantaged (lucky me ), so I've gone with Warwick (AAAD) as my firm and Bristol (AAB) as my insurance
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortionsForFoxes)
    If you're interested, Warwick did say at the law open day that if you were to miss your offer by one grade in one subject, they'll still accept you if they have places. I was one of those educationally disadvantaged (lucky me ), so I've gone with Warwick (AAAD) as my firm and Bristol (AAB) as my insurance

Ah, no I am not going to risk that.

The woman who was showing our group around actually missed her offer by ONE UMS last year.

Yet, they said we can't let you in - there are no spare places.

Luckily, she got a remark and it went up.

And with increased competition, I can't see any chance of getting into Warwick if I miss a grade, unless I get a remark.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Help.

Thanks.
    If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    I think it depends firstly on how willing you are to take an unintended gap year. There is no point in doing this if you end up clearing to an LLB at Oldham College.

Next, I think it depends on where your AAB offers are from. I wouldn't turn down Reading (or a low offer AAB from a normally AAA university) but I would turn down Bournemouth for the gamble. There are others where it is more touch and go.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Ah, now I am not going to risk that.

The woman who was showing our group around actually missed her offer by ONE UMS last year.

Yet, they said we can't let you in - there are no spare places.

Luckily, she got a remark and it went up.

And with increased competition, I can't see any chance of getting into Warwick if I miss a grade, unless I get a remark.
    :eek: Oh, damn them and their false promises! But you're right, talking to the people on the law open day everyone is so academically strong!
    Are you definitely firming Warwick, regardless of your insurance? I don't know anyone going at all and it's terrifying me!
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Oh, damn them and their false promises! But you're right, talking to the people on the law open day everyone is so academically strong!
    Are you definitely firming Warwick, regardless of your insurance? I don't know anyone going at all and it's terrifying me!
    Yeah, definitely firming warwick.

there are plenty of warwick firmers.

bea492, Tsunami2011, narusku, and some other peeps.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, definitely firming warwick.

there are plenty of warwick firmers.

bea492, Tsunami2011, narusku, and some other peeps.
    Ahh I meant in real life But I'll get talking!
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I meant in real life But I'll get talking!
    ah right, same, but hardly anyone does law lol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.