The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EMcGregor
Hi,

I was wondering... Any help really appreciated!

Certainly for Law careers in England, Durham would be more useful than Edinburgh/Glasgow and a conversion. Regardless or the need to convert, Durham would probably still be the most reputable, I think. Simply because no-one on the English Law Scene really talks about Edinburgh or Glasgow unis. (for obvious reasons...) If you want to get away from Scotland, then you're best chance is to go to Durham. and get a career in England. I wouldn't worry about the extra money (presumably you mean tuition fees) The repayment scheme is very manageable and you don't start paying back til you're earning etc etc, it shoudln't be a problem for aspiring lawyers really, barristers especially. (because you won't be over the threshold until you start practising, once you've started practising you won't miss £9 in every £100 above the first £21000
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Certainly for Law careers in England, Durham would be more useful than Edinburgh/Glasgow and a conversion. Regardless or the need to convert, Durham would probably still be the most reputable, I think. Simply because no-one on the English Law Scene really talks about Edinburgh or Glasgow unis. (for obvious reasons...) If you want to get away from Scotland, then you're best chance is to go to Durham. and get a career in England. I wouldn't worry about the extra money (presumably you mean tuition fees) The repayment scheme is very manageable and you don't start paying back til you're earning etc etc, it shoudln't be a problem for aspiring lawyers really, barristers especially. (because you won't be over the threshold until you start practising, once you've started practising you won't miss £9 in every £100 above the first £21000

Thanks, that really helps :smile: fingers crossed I get my Durham conditional then!
Original post by fawltyfan
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty with choosing which UCAS offers to accept as firm and insurance. I am a Scottish applicant and have offers as follows for Advanced Higher:

KCL: A1 A
UCL: AAA
Edinburgh: Unconditional
Bristol: AA

Originally, I was going to put UCL as my firm choice. The problem now is that I have been offered a scholarship from KCL of £18,000 (£3,000 per semester) and, putting the financial incentive aside, I do not know whether the 'status' of having a scholarship will outweigh the difference between UCL and KCL's academic reputation, which is sort of important for me as I can see myself doing postgrad study and/or going to the bar. I assume the social experience would be roughly the same(?) I have to firmly accept KCL to get the scholarship.

Thanks for your advice.

Firm KCL.
18K?!?!?!?

wow.
Original post by tehforum
Firm KCL.
18K?!?!?!?

wow.

Agreed! Firm KCL. :smile:
Reply 3724
Firm KCL.
18K?!?!?!?

wow.

Nobody's laughing at Dickson Poon now :smile:
Original post by gtfo
Nobody's laughing at Dickson Poon now :smile:

I'm still lol'ing, but what a generous scholarship.

Dickson Poon School of Law ftw.

:colone:
Original post by admbeatmaker
Your job prospects won't change at all if you do well and you are extremely motivated. But your pocket will feel great. Take KCL with the scholarship. The scholarship also makes for something good to go on the CV, especially being something as substantial as £18,000.

Original post by mathsmusicfrench
I would take KCL with the scholarship. No discernable difference between the two. The Law school is now in a fab location at KCL. The status of having the scholarship will be good for CVs (if it's an academic type thing not an NSP type thing) You'll get in to anywhere to do postgrad and you'll have an equal shot at the bar with either.

The one thing is I rate UCLs halls and location above KCL. There's a bit of traveling to do fro mKCL halls to the Strand where KCL is, whereas UCL is pretty much all in Bloomsbury. (just under Euston station) In some halls you could probably watch your lectures from bed(!) (not quite!) But you'll be living in some far-flung corner in year two anyway, so...

Edit, You obviosuly know that Scots Law and English law is different. Surely that rules out either Edinburgh or KCL and UCL and Bristol? Or are you not fussy?

Original post by AnonCoconut
Agreed! Firm KCL. :smile:

Firm KCL.
18K?!?!?!?

wow.

The thing is, I have some possibly irrational wish to firm UCL regardless of the scholarship to KCL. It's weird but for some reason I just think I would regret firming King's. I really liked UCL when I visited it - such a lovely part of London, good teaching styles (smaller groups for tutorials than king's), generally more highly ranked. Also, the King's degree involves 2 years in Paris doing a full French law degree which I'm now not so keen on and I'm not sure whether I would be able to transfer onto the normal 1-year-abroad programme - I don't think the 2-years full degree would give me any better advantage than 1-year as would be the case at UCL.

£18k would help my parents really, since it means they don't have to pay so much for my living expenses (the scholarship doesn't affect fees repayments) but they wouldn't have difficulty at all in funding me at UCL. I'm just not sure whether the status/prestige that comes with the scholarship would help a lot after graduating.

Ahhh such a hard decision!

Then follow your heart. I've since learnt that gut instincts are usually the most accurate. At the end of the day, the value of your degree is going to count for nuts if you have a terrible time getting through your undergrad to begin with...

Plus, I figure that if you like where UCL is located, then you seem to me (not to generalise or anything, just a feeling I got) as the kind of person who is not too interested by the sometimes overly metropolitan lifestyle in proper London, which means you'd be a lot happier at UCL. :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 3728
The thing is, I have some possibly irrational wish to firm UCL regardless of the scholarship to KCL. It's weird but for some reason I just think I would regret firming King's. I really liked UCL when I visited it - such a lovely part of London, good teaching styles (smaller groups for tutorials than king's), generally more highly ranked. Also, the King's degree involves 2 years in Paris doing a full French law degree which I'm now not so keen on and I'm not sure whether I would be able to transfer onto the normal 1-year-abroad programme - I don't think the 2-years full degree would give me any better advantage than 1-year as would be the case at UCL.

£18k would help my parents really, since it means they don't have to pay so much for my living expenses (the scholarship doesn't affect fees repayments) but they wouldn't have difficulty at all in funding me at UCL. I'm just not sure whether the status/prestige that comes with the scholarship would help a lot after graduating.

I thought the 2 years in Paris made it a QLD in the UK and France, or am I misremembering?

If you want to be a lawyer, there is no real discernible benefit to choosing one over the other. I think I read that there are 75 DP scholarships too, so you wont be unique in having it. Fwiw, I've already added it to my CV though :wink:

UCL is beautiful, although I don't recall hearing anybody comparing it favourably to KCL in that regard. I presume you've visited the Strand campus? If you really like Bloomsbury, you could always use your scholarship to cover the extra cost for intercollegiate accommodation and live there while at King's :smile:

I'm told the teaching styles are quite different, although I've not really looked into the UCL course structure if I'm honest. You get 5 hours a week more contact time at KCL, but whether that's a pro/con is subjective I guess.

Then follow your heart. I've since learnt that gut instincts are usually the most accurate. At the end of the day, the value of your degree is going to count for nuts if you have a terrible time getting through your undergrad to begin with...

Plus, I figure that if you like where UCL is located, then you seem to me (not to generalise or anything, just a feeling I got) as the kind of person who is not too interested by the sometimes overly metropolitan lifestyle in proper London, which means you'd be a lot happier at UCL. :smile:

Good luck!

You would be correct in thinking that I love everything a big city has to offer but I prefer being in a pleasant, leafy area close to the centre (e.g. where UCL is) rather than right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. I think I probably should go with my heart. After all, it is only money and it's not what's going to make me enjoy my time there - location, academic experience etc is much more important.

Original post by gtfo
I thought the 2 years in Paris made it a QLD in the UK and France, or am I misremembering?

If you want to be a lawyer, there is no real discernible benefit to choosing one over the other. I think I read that there are 75 DP scholarships too, so you wont be unique in having it. Fwiw, I've already added it to my CV though :wink:

UCL is beautiful, although I don't recall hearing anybody comparing it favourably to KCL in that regard. I presume you've visited the Strand campus? If you really like Bloomsbury, you could always use your scholarship to cover the extra cost for intercollegiate accommodation and live there while at King's :smile:

I'm told the teaching styles are quite different, although I've not really looked into the UCL course structure if I'm honest. You get 5 hours a week more contact time at KCL, but whether that's a pro/con is subjective I guess.

Yes the KCL course gives a QLD for both England and France, but seeing as I'm not really intending to practice in France I'm not sure that it would give me any advantage over and above 1 year abroad which earns me a diploma in French law.

I find myself trying to find more and more reasons to support choosing UCL so I think that is really where I want to go in my heart. I feel crazy to be turning down £18,000 but after all, I can't force myself to want to go there!
QMUL is still not replying me - Yay!
Firmed Warwick!
Firmed Warwick!

Firmed Warwick aswell, at 5:59. Somehow left it this late.

feel like a badass.
Reply 3733
Firmed Warwick!

Original post by Tsunami2011
Firmed Warwick aswell, at 5:59. Somehow left it this late.

feel like a badass.

You pair took your sweet time!!! See you in October buds :wink:
Where are you applying for accommodation?
Original post by Bea492
You pair took your sweet time!!! See you in October buds :wink:
Where are you applying for accommodation?

Stuff.

See you in Oct - hopefully!

Dunno yet, not sure if the extra money is worth an en-suite..

Everyone seems to be going for JM or AV?
Reply 3735
Stuff.

See you in Oct - hopefully!

Dunno yet, not sure if the extra money is worth an en-suite..

Everyone seems to be going for JM or AV?

Rootes seems to be pretty popular. I think I'm going to go for JM 1st choice with Rootes 2nd. Praying I get either of those!

the kind of person who is not too interested by the sometimes overly metropolitan lifestyle in proper London, which means you'd be a lot happier at UCL. :smile:

How is Bloomsbury not 'proper' london' ?!?! It's further from the water but its in the middle of Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, Regent's Park..

I find myself trying to find more and more reasons to support choosing UCL so I think that is really where I want to go in my heart. I feel crazy to be turning down £18,000 but after all, I can't force myself to want to go there!

Can't fault this logic, however I had the same attraction/infatuation/addiction to/with UCL for a long itme, then after looking at it for ages and ages and ages, I decided that elsewhere would work better. SOmetimes it is a good idea to go to the most sensible place to go rather than the place you'd like to go. However all your other reasons, such as the France thing seem to support that UCL is the sensible option anyway. Just think about it for as long as possible, you'll kick yourself if you make the wrong decision!
QMUL offer - finally :smile:

Which one should I choose - QMUL, Bristol or Durham?
Original post by ernestchu

Congrats on the offer!

Going by most opinions, I think Durham would be your best bet. I'd only consider it if I liked the university itself anyway. I can't go wrong with any of those three.
Reply 3739
Original post by ernestchu

Grats! A couple of months ago I was deliberating on a choice between QM and Bristol. In the end, I firmed QM:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending