The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gtfo
I believe Durham were, although whether they actually had places or just failed to opt out of extra, I couldn't say.

Wow, does that mean Durham didn't receive enough competitive applications last year?!
Hi all, I'm about to start an LLB Law with Politics and Philosophy course which doesn't have a jurisprudence module, I keep coming across quotes from, articles about, and biographies of legal philosophers, and it's giving me a real itch to read some jurisprudence. Not knowing much substantive law (beyond CIMA commercial law and Birkbeck CertHE Legal Method), might attempting to read, say, some Dworkin or HLA Hart, just be unhelpful to me, because it will basically be asserting normative views and arguments, which assume knowledge of a substantive framework I know too little of? Or could it be really helpful? And might any book(s), by any legal philosopher, be particularly so?

:smile: ta
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3942
Original post by Jonathan75
Hi all, I'm about to start an LLB Law with Politics and Philosophy course which doesn't have a jurisprudence module, I keep coming across quotes from, articles about, and biographies of legal philosophers, and it's giving me a real itch to read some jurisprudence. Not knowing much substantive law (beyond CIMA commercial law and Birkbeck CertHE Legal Method), might attempting to read, say, some Dworkin or HLA Hart, just be unhelpful to me, because it will basically be asserting normative views and arguments, which assume knowledge of a substantive framework I know too little of? Or could it be really helpful? And might any book(s), by any legal philosopher, be particularly so?

:smile: ta

Most people on this thread only start studying law in October so maybe try another thread as well.

I can only speak regarding Taking Rights Seriously and Law's Empire from Dworkin and The Concept of Law from Hart. Like you, I am just starting a law degree. I didn't feel those books were way out of my league. In fact, a fair few pre-LLB students cite the latter two books in their personal statements. You should be fine. That said, you might have a more sophisticated insight into the books once you have a better legal framework as a reference point (I would know yet).

Maybe you can even rally students on your course to request a jurisprudence module from the uni. Seems strange to offer a LLB with Philosophy but not touch on juris. I imagine others who chose your course might be the types who would want jurisprudence in their degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ratio
Most people on this thread only start studying law in October so maybe try another thread as well.

I can only speak regarding Taking Rights Seriously and Law's Empire from Dworkin and The Concept of Law from Hart. Like you, I am just starting a law degree. I didn't feel those books were way out of my league. In fact, a fair few pre-LLB students cite the latter two books in their personal statements. You should be fine. That said, you might have a more sophisticated insight into the books once you have a better legal framework as a reference point (I would know yet).

Maybe you can even rally students on your course to request a jurisprudence module from the uni. Seems strange to offer an LLB with Philosophy but not touch on juris. I imagine others who chose your course might be the types who would want jurisprudence in their degree.

Excellent, thank you. Agreed re juris module, I suspect individual students who ask to be allowed to join the standard LLB students for juris in the later years of the course may be granted it, fingers crossed.
Reply 3944
agree with the other poster regarding this 2:2 mumbo-jumbo at notts.. i'm sorry but no one cares about this "oh but it's a 2:2 from notts" *******s. seriously, if it was a 2:1 from manchester/bristol vs a 2:2 from notts or even oxbridge for that matter i doubt clifford chance or other firm would go "sorry buddy, gotta give it to the notts guy"
Reply 3945
Hey if anyone is interested i Have a load of textbooks i bought new last year for my first year, for all modules, message me if you want any! various C&A, contract, criminal and legal foundations books, latest editions etc. :smile: going cheap, i've got no need for them anymore!
Reply 3946
Anyone know how different Freshers Week is for law students? Some people are billing it like 2 weeks solid work, my Uni is saying we will be able to partake in outside events. I want to be able to do Freshers properly or I'll already feel at a disadvantage!
Original post by Wattsy
Anyone know how different Freshers Week is for law students? Some people are billing it like 2 weeks solid work, my Uni is saying we will be able to partake in outside events. I want to be able to do Freshers properly or I'll already feel at a disadvantage!

Like every other student in university. Your first week of lectures will more than likely just be introductions. I know they are at York.
Reply 3948
Original post by admbeatmaker
Like every other student in university. Your first week of lectures will more than likely just be introductions. I know they are at York.

That sounds fine, and York is a more respected Uni than mine (Northumbria) so you would assume it wouldn't be a massively intensive first week.
Anyone else finding pre-reading a bit grim in the absence of essays or colleagues?

Perhaps it's my overloaded personal pre-reading wishlist that's making it difficult to chill out and read things at the thoughtful pace warranted.

Tough to decide whether to read 'how to write law essays' and similar texts; some jurisprudence stuff e.g. The Concept Of Law, or the first chapters of the set texts with associated cases, as recommended by McBride in Letters To A Law Student. I suppose it's complicated by the fact mine is an 'LM21' (law and politics/philosophy course) so there are even more options in terms of prereading, assuming I have no wishes of my own of what to read over and above these..... :s-smilie:
Oh yeah

I got into Law @ Warwick

:banana:

:sexface:
Reply 3951
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Do you think doing a QLD witha minor (4 years) is worth it in light of the extra 9 grand? would it give me a edge when applying for jobs?

Unlikely. If the other subject is a language, and you want to work in the region, then maybe. Not 9 grand worth of an edge though IMO.
Studying Law and Criminology LLB at Sheffield, they said I could potentially swap courses to the straight Law LLB course in the first few weeks if I wasn't liking my original course. What are peoples opinions on this? Is it better to swap to a more 'respectable' straight law degree than a combined one?
Original post by FallonSmith
Studying Law and Criminology LLB at Sheffield, they said I could potentially swap courses to the straight Law LLB course in the first few weeks if I wasn't liking my original course. What are peoples opinions on this? Is it better to swap to a more 'respectable' straight law degree than a combined one?

Yeah, definitely switch.
Original post by FallonSmith

I think it depends on whether you enjoy the criminologyl bit, and whether or not you care about having less Law module choices
Original post by tehforum
Yeah, definitely switch.

I'd switch, but that's me.

Although you might intend on going into criminal practice, you may shift and want to become a commercial solicitor. Having that criminology badge on your degree certificate might give any commercial firms an excuse to question your commitment.

That may be a bit harsh, but it's something I would consider.
I'd switch, but that's me.

Although you might intend on going into criminal practice, you may shift and want to become a commercial solicitor. Having that criminology badge on your degree certificate might give any commercial firms an excuse to question your commitment.

That may be a bit harsh, but it's something I would consider.

I don't think it shows a lack of commitment. The person is still doing a Law degree, whether its joint honours or not. Some people might view it as a good thing as you might be a bit more diverse than other students who all take the same modules.
Original post by jackclarke1995
I don't think it shows a lack of commitment. The person is still doing a Law degree, whether its joint honours or not. Some people might view it as a good thing as you might be a bit more diverse than other students who all take the same modules.

I don't agree with that.

You've plenty of choice in a single honours LLB. There are a plethora of opportunities to diversify in law like family law and commercial law... maybe even medical law, compared to spending some of those precious law modules on criminology... the study of criminals and crime.
Reply 3958
I don't agree with that.

You've plenty of choice in a single honours LLB. There are a plethora of opportunities to diversify in law like family law and commercial law... maybe even medical law, compared to spending some of those precious law modules on criminology... the study of criminals and crime.

This is true - I do straight law but next year I'm doing a forensic linguistics module...there's SO many different modules to choose from. my course also offers 'gender, sexuality and the law' and Islamic law, amongst others.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I don't agree with that.

I'm not saying that there isn't a big choice of modules, i'm just saying that most people who want to become lawyers take the same modules. Some people seem to think that commercial law is a must etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending