The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Junaid16
:clap2:University shortlist?

Absolutely no idea, it will depend on what I get for my AS results.

I've got prospectuses so far for Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Exeter, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford and York.

But I have no idea where I'm actually going to apply :nah: I think those range from A*AA-AAB. They're just the ones I knew of and that caught my eye.

What sort are you looking at? :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by racaha
Absolutely no idea, it will depend on what I get for my AS results.

I've got prospectuses so far for Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Exeter, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford and York.

But I have no idea where I'm actually going to apply :nah: I think those range from A*AA-AAB. They're just the ones I knew of and that caught my eye.

What sort are you looking at? :smile:

I didn't bother getting prospectuses, since we're the internet generation :yep:

Pretty much those,minus Exeter and Newcastle, I'm quite keen on Warwick,but that could change. I see no mention of London unis any reason? BTW all those you listed are either A*AA or AAA

I think it's going to be quite hard, deciding where to apply, since you have to take into consideration the risks of the LNAT and the grade inflation. Grades permitting I think I might apply to one AAB and then AAA and above,since really most top 20/25 Universities ask for AAA/B for Law.
Reply 62
Hello everyone.
I´m from Iceland and I´m planning on applying to some British law schools this fall. I was wondering how you would rate my chances.
I am 21 years old (born 1990). I have not done many extracurricular activities but I think I can fix that in my application. I recently graduated from high school? (graduated on the right time last spring (2010)) but with pretty bad grades (6 out of 10) but from the most prestigious school and also in the most difficult class (math and physics major).
In the fall of 2010 I started studying law at the most prestigious law school (actually they are just 4 but still) and got excellent grades. Was top of my class in my first semester, and there were 300 other students in the class. But i decided to drop out and focus my energy on getting into an foreign school preferably to study law.
The reason I got so bad grades in High School was simply laziness, the school system in Iceland is not at all competitive and I did not put enough effort into my studies. My sister went to the same school and graduated with a 9 out of 10 and I will not for the life of me consider her smarter than me.
I am thinking about taking the LNAT and LSAT but I am not sure if it is worth the effort. Of course I good score on the LSAT would improve my chances greatly but to achieve that score I have to put in a whole lot of hours.
I am confident that I can get an excellent toefl score and actually think I can get an perfect score 120/120 though my English in this post does contradict with that valuation. This is written in a very short amount of time and sorry for the bad grammar and English. Would really appreciate some feedback on my chances and good luck to you all in your journey to law school.

I am thinking about applying to Birmingham, Cardiff and maybe even LSE though I can see that that one is a long shot
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Hey fellow prospective law students! I'm hoping to apply to some London unis - gonna visit UCL and LSE, and possibly Queen Mary (though I've been put off by the A*AA requirement that I only found out about from reading this thread... :s-smilie: ). I am also thinking about Nottingham, Exeter, maybe British and maybe Southampton. I probably will apply to Law with Spanish AS grades permitting! Did anyone from this thread go to the Cambridge Sixth Form Law Conference this year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Junaid16
I didn't bother getting prospectuses, since we're the internet generation :yep:

Pretty much those,minus Exeter and Newcastle, I'm quite keen on Warwick,but that could change. I see no mention of London unis any reason? BTW all those you listed are either A*AA or AAA

I think it's going to be quite hard, deciding where to apply, since you have to take into consideration the risks of the LNAT and the grade inflation. Grades permitting I think I might apply to one AAB and then AAA and above,since really most top 20/25 Universities ask for AAA/B for Law.

Haha I like having the books to look at, I'm the same with reading books, I prefer having a book to a kindle and such :giggle:

I just don't think I'd like living in London. I know some of the london unis are amongst the best for law but I don't think I'd enjoy living there just yet. EDIT: not because I have anything against London, I think it's a lovely city but it seems so daunting for me to go straight from home to London on my own. :redface: Oh, I thought Exeter was AAB :colondollar: I've just checked and it's AAA-AAB, so I guess we're both right :ahee:

Yes definitely, that's my problem. Like you said with the top unis all offering such similar grades, it's picking out which I like the most but then making sure I leave myself some room to fall back on if I need to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Potentially looking in to doing Law with year abroad to spain.

Hopefully applying to Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham

Although i did see on the Oxford website that they only have 2 places for Law + spanish...
Reply 66
Original post by digestives
Potentially looking in to doing Law with year abroad to spain.

Hopefully applying to Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham

Although i did see on the Oxford website that they only have 2 places for Law + spanish...

Your choices are similar to mine, and the same course too...so you and me for the two places? ;D
Reply 67
Original post by star_5
Your choices are similar to mine, and the same course too...so you and me for the two places? ;D

obviously, you only need one place to get in! :smile:
problem is i have not done any work experience... anyone know how important that is?
Reply 68
problem is i have not done any work experience... anyone know how important that is?

It's not too important. I'd say reading around the subject is more important.
Reply 69

I'd say it's quite important in that it shows you have taken the opportunity to develop your interest in law outside of your studies, but then again outside reading would also do that. I've done work experience at two solicitor's firms and am going to be shadowing a barrister this summer, but I only mentioned these briefly on my personal statement.
Reply 70
Original post by star_5
I'd say it's quite important in that it shows you have taken the opportunity to develop your interest in law outside of your studies, but then again outside reading would also do that. I've done work experience at two solicitor's firms and am going to be shadowing a barrister this summer, but I only mentioned these briefly on my personal statement.

I have done nothing as of yet to prepare for a law degree. Planning to do lots of reading + going to some courts to view trials over summer.

Also your gcse's and a levels are remarkably similar to mine...:rolleyes:
Have some people already started writing their personal statements? That's pretty organised! I've thought about it but don't know where to start. I think i'll jot down a few ideas in the next few weeks and then we're having some UCAS related careers lessons before summer.
I have done nothing as of yet to prepare for a law degree. Planning to do lots of reading + going to some courts to view trials over summer.

Also your gcse's and a levels are remarkably similar to mine...:rolleyes:

That sounds good. You are applying for 2012 entry?

All I did to prepare for my law application was to study for the LNAT using one of the LNAT guides you can buy off Amazon (they are actually harder than the real thing!) and I read the Law Machine/Letters to a Law Student as well as one of those short introduction books to British politics.

I went to the public gallery at my local crown court, but other than that nothing else law-related. If you can do those things, that's great. Make sure to spend a lot of time making your personal statement perfect and if you're applying to any top law schools make your personal statement 90:10 academics:extra curriculars.

And then once you get your offers, please just relax and enjoy the chance to do absolutely nothing! When your law degree begins, it really is challenging (but fun!). :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by don'tyouremember?
Have some people already started writing their personal statements? That's pretty organised! I've thought about it but don't know where to start. I think i'll jot down a few ideas in the next few weeks and then we're having some UCAS related careers lessons before summer.

I haven't started mine yet either :nah:
Original post by don'tyouremember?

I would advise to start your personal statement work at the end of the summer. That way, you have your results and you can also include any achievements or endeavours you have undertaken over the summer, without it being too late for the October 15th Oxbridge deadline (if you're applying there) or missing the chance to send the application off early.

I believe I started my personal statement in September, and pasted the final version into UCAS in late November and when I was happy with everything I sent the application off at the beginning of December.

:smile:
Original post by racaha
I haven't started mine yet either :nah:

Start it after the summer and maybe read some introductory law books over the summer. Perhaps try to find a law related book that isn't Letters to a Law Student/The Law Machine. Admissions tutors must be very bored of seeing the same names pop up in every application. I finished my law exams three weeks ago and started reading a book for pleasure that is linked to law, but is quite comedic and light hearted. It's an autobiographical book by a criminal barrister explaining life 'behind the scenes' in the criminal courts. Might be something nice to pop into your application and it's a very easy read.
Reply 76
Original post by marrythenight
Start it after the summer and maybe read some introductory law books over the summer. Perhaps try to find a law related book that isn't Letters to a Law Student/The Law Machine. Admissions tutors must be very bored of seeing the same names pop up in every application. I finished my law exams three weeks ago and started reading a book for pleasure that is linked to law, but is quite comedic and light hearted. It's an autobiographical book by a criminal barrister explaining life 'behind the scenes' in the criminal courts. Might be something nice to pop into your application and it's a very easy read.

Thank you for the advice! :biggrin: I was thinking about books but had no idea where to start, I was going to go to the library and have a look around and see what interests me then go from there.

That sounds interesting, what is it called? :smile:
Original post by racaha
Thank you for the advice! :biggrin: I was thinking about books but had no idea where to start, I was going to go to the library and have a look around and see what interests me then go from there.

That sounds interesting, what is it called? :smile:

It's called Defending the Guilty by Alex McBride. It really is quite a light hearted book, not intellectually stimulating, and I like it probably as I've finished all the heavy weight exams, but it's a good way to look behind the scenes at the work criminal barristers do and you realise the bar isn't as stuffy as people perceive it to be.

I tried going to my local library when I was applying, but the collection was appalling for law, even my school library was disappointing. I wouldn't advise attempting readings on any of the core modules until you start the course, however 'tempting' it might be as you may not know where to start.

You could also try to volunteer with the Citizens' Advice Bureau as your 'work experience' if you're having trouble getting any, plus universities honestly don't care about law work experience as they (i) know that it's tricky to get and (ii) you're unlikely to be exposed to any law on a week long work experience program in a high street firm. Plus Citizens' Advice looks seriously good when you apply to City firms. I was speaking to a trainee at Bakers and the graduate recruitment officer, and they said Citizens' Advice volunteering really speaks volumes about the applicant's character.
Original post by racaha
I just don't think I'd like living in London. I know some of the london unis are amongst the best for law but I don't think I'd enjoy living there just yet. EDIT: not because I have anything against London, I think it's a lovely city but it seems so daunting for me to go straight from home to London on my own. :

You never know, your feelings might change by the end of A2, so maybe include at least one London choice? There are some very good law schools in London.

Most people who go to London to study are not originally from London. Many are from small villages in the English countryside and actually they really enjoy the 'culture shock' and being in a very exciting place. It's also very convenient to attend lots of law firm open days and be able to get home after them in half an hour. I've been attending quite a lot lately and it really helps living here.

It might seem daunting, but you do honestly get used to London and the madness of it doesn't phase you after the first week or so. It would be a grave opportunity to discard, I definitely think you should give places like LSE, UCL, King's a shot! I couldn't recommend it enough!
Reply 79
Original post by marrythenight
It's called Defending the Guilty by Alex McBride. It really is quite a light hearted book, not intellectually stimulating, and I like it probably as I've finished all the heavy weight exams, but it's a good way to look behind the scenes at the work criminal barristers do and you realise the bar isn't as stuffy as people perceive it to be.

I tried going to my local library when I was applying, but the collection was appalling for law, even my school library was disappointing. I wouldn't advise attempting readings on any of the core modules until you start the course, however 'tempting' it might be as you may not know where to start.

You could also try to volunteer with the Citizens' Advice Bureau as your 'work experience' if you're having trouble getting any, plus universities honestly don't care about law work experience as they (i) know that it's tricky to get and (ii) you're unlikely to be exposed to any law on a week long work experience program in a high street firm. Plus Citizens' Advice looks seriously good when you apply to City firms. I was speaking to a trainee at Bakers and the graduate recruitment officer, and they said Citizens' Advice volunteering really speaks volumes about the applicant's character.

Oooh thnak you! It could be a good place for me to start, I like reading too so I'm sure I'll like it :yep:

Ah right! I doubt my school library will have much, I was relying on the local one, but I'll have to see what I can find.

The citizens advice thing looks really good! But do they take you on in all of the roles if you're only 17? Some of the roles look good but sound like I wouldn't be qualified enough yet? If I can though it looks brilliant, thanks for telling me about it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending