The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by Grenville
Yeah, below 20 is usually the cut off. Bear in mind that the average score last year was 17.7 so you're well above average :smile:

Oh ok, thanks I didn't know that :smile:
Decided not to do the LNAT but found it hard when applying to 'good' unis because it seems that's all they want.. Either that or you're a super genious predicted A*A*A*
Three offers so far but looking to firm Exeter :smile:
So I enquire: is the LNAT really worth all the hassle? There are still top 10 unis who do not require it.
Original post by Stefylove

Original post by Stefylove
Decided not to do the LNAT but found it hard when applying to 'good' unis because it seems that's all they want.. Either that or you're a super genious predicted A*A*A*
Three offers so far but looking to firm Exeter :smile:
So I enquire: is the LNAT really worth all the hassle? There are still top 10 unis who do not require it.

I don't think it's much of a hassle. I don't think it's necessarily reflective of how suited you are to studying law, but if you have the skills that it does test, doing it isn't too hard. It's an aptitude test after all, so if you're good, you'll be good with little to no practice. Now if there's a test out there I can just sit down and take, with maybe a week or two of light work, and it means I can apply to, not necessarily better, but a higher number of equal calibre unis, then I certainly, will, have, and from the looks of things it didn't go to badly.
Original post by Omiclops

Original post by Omiclops
I don't understand why we don't get our LNAT scores on the day. Surely it could sway us whether to apply for more LNAT unis or less. What makes it different to the BMAT etc?

BMAT results don't come out until after all medics have applied, so in that respect it isn't any different.
Think it's just the UKCAT that you find out immediately, which begs the question why is that any different to the LNAT, BMAT, HAT, TSA etc?
Also, LNAT results could theoretically vary massively, as a standardized test. If you were given a score of 19, you might think I'm not good enough for UCL, Oxford, Durham etc. The average could then turn out to be 16 or 17, and it may have been worth applying.
Similarly, unlike the UKCAT and BMAT for which all unis tend to have a cut off point, universities use LNAT results in different ways, and usually as only one part of their application. You might get a bad score, but the rest of your application, and your essay could be amazing, and you may be wrong in thinking you don't stand a chance at somewhere that actually you do.
I'm glad they do it this way round. I'm not sure I would have applied where I did if they didn't, and could have not even had a shot at some of the best unis.
Original post by silverspoonmess
I don't think it's much of a hassle. I don't think it's necessarily reflective of how suited you are to studying law, but if you have the skills that it does test, doing it isn't too hard. It's an aptitude test after all, so if you're good, you'll be good with little to no practice. Now if there's a test out there I can just sit down and take, with maybe a week or two of light work, and it means I can apply to, not necessarily better, but a higher number of equal calibre unis, then I certainly, will, have, and from the looks of things it didn't go to badly.

There are those (including myself) who were under the impression that the LNAT is simply where you pay £45 to be examined on comprehensive and essay writing skills. I agree that if taking the LNAT results in the chance of getting into a higher tiered uni then by all means, go for it. The personal statement and acedemic ability should be enough for a university to decide whether one is suited to the Law course.
Reply 1485
Had the LNAT earlier on, thought it went okay, in terms of difficulty, it was slightly easier than the Shepherd book but slightly trickier than the ones on the website. Overall, I'm glad its over, good luck everybody else still to take.
Just got a Conditional from Sheffield :smile:
Original post by SecretCircus
Ah, I forgot about Queen Mary. If you think you'll like it there, you may as well give it a shot :smile:.

Sheffield, Southhampton are russell groups that dont require the LNAT
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
Just got a Conditional from Sheffield :smile:

Congrats :biggrin: ... im still waiting to hear from them ... what experience and grades did you have in ur application
& when did you send it off
Reply 1489
Original post by aysha.19
Top 5 Law universities that do not require LNAT???

I couldn’t give you five, but Leicester is ranked 11th for law in The Times Good University Guide 2012. Sheffield is slightly lower but is in The Russell Group. Both don’t require the LNAT, which happens to be one of the reasons I applied to them over some of the ones that do.
Leicester even says that it doesn’t think the LNAT gives a good indication of a candidate’s ability to study Law, which I totally agree with.. It has got to be one of the most stupid tests there is to do.
I'm not sure about all five, but LSE and Warwick are definitely up there :smile:.

Original post by -Haz-
I couldn’t give you five, but Leicester is ranked 11th for law in The Times Good University Guide 2012. Sheffield is slightly lower but is in The Russell Group. Both don’t require the LNAT, which happens to be one of the reasons I applied to them over some of the ones that do.
Leicester even says that it doesn’t think the LNAT gives a good indication of a candidate’s ability to study Law, which I totally agree with.. It has got to be one of the most stupid tests there is to do.

Cambridge
Original post by -Haz-

its not stupid! But i didn't want to give it! blekh!

Original post by nulli tertius
Cambridge

Yeah. But too late to apply in Cambridge. :P
Original post by jaba1903
Anybody heard from UCL yet?

A friend of mine.
For politics
Does anyone have any idea when Nottingham will start to give out decisions? :smile:
Original post by student_in_distres
Congrats :biggrin: ... im still waiting to hear from them ... what experience and grades did you have in ur application
& when did you send it off

Thank you! I'm sure you'll get an offer soon. :smile: I didn't really do any work experience, all I did was visit the public gallery of my local crown court for a day. In terms of grades, I was predicted grades of AAB so I didn't think I would get an offer because Sheffield want AAA, so my PS must have been good. I sent it off on Nov 2nd so I've only been waiting about 3 weeks. Good luck with all your choices. :biggrin:
Reply 1495
Original post by -Haz-

No offence, but I dont think it matters whether you think it's stupid or not. The quality and reknown of the universities that require it suffice as an indicator going to show collective thoughts to reliability and utility. Secondly, as the universities that use it do so in order to select candidates for their courses, i really must state that it's up to them what entry requirements are...and not our own :wink:
Reply 1496
Does anyone have any idea when Nottingham will start to give out decisions? :smile:

I'm hating the wait too...
What other unis did you apply to?
Original post by narusku
I'm hating the wait too...
What other unis did you apply to?

It's really annoying, especially because Notts is my first choice! Warwick, Southampton, Reading and Birmingham, yourself?
How is the University of York for Law??
I'm considering it as a choice. Its not in The Guardian Table! :s-smilie:
Reply 1499
Original post by aysha.19
How is the University of York for Law??
I'm considering it as a choice. Its not in The Guardian Table! :s-smilie:

I visited York a while ago and have to say that the building in which Law is taught is extremely modern. I think they haven't been doing Law at the university for very long which was why it wasn't on the rankings but a student assured me that it does very well.
The course is different to many of the traditional courses; you learn both the rules of law and the application of the rules of law. A second-year student was explaining that you are given situations which you have to apply your knowledge to and decide on a resolution.
I was going to apply there but was a little cautious as I thought that the degree may not be on par with universities who do them in a traditional manner. However, I was told otherwise by York, who claim to have many job opportunities afterwards.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending