The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
What, you want all thirty of the top 10 :eek:

Not quite sure what you mean..:eek:
Original post by Tsunami2011
Not quite sure what you mean..:eek:

There are many universities that can advance an argument to being in the top ten and lawyers are very good at advancing arguments.

Thirty might be an exaggeration but I can get it to twenty fairly easily.
There are many universities that can advance an argument to being in the top ten and lawyers are very good at advancing arguments.

Thirty might be an exaggeration but I can get it to twenty fairly easily.

Ah I thought so. I'm guessing though Oxford, Cambridge, LSE,UCL,KCL are generally seen as the top five with Nottingham and Durham next in line. Then I'm not sure about the final three places, but the names Warwick, Birmingham, Bristol and Manchester keep popping up. I know there's a wiki on this, but it seems awfully out of date.:s-smilie: I'm not sure you could get it to twenty imo:tongue: The top five does seem cut and dry, and the likes of Exeter, Newcastle, Sheffield never seem to be mentioned in the same breath as the top 5ish.
Ah I thought so. I'm guessing though Oxford, Cambridge, LSE,UCL,KCL are generally seen as the top five with Nottingham and Durham next in line. Then I'm not sure about the final three places, but the names Warwick, Birmingham, Bristol and Manchester keep popping up. I know there's a wiki on this, but it seems awfully out of date.:s-smilie: I'm not sure you could get it to twenty imo:tongue: The top five does seem cut and dry, and the likes of Exeter, Newcastle, Sheffield never seem to be mentioned in the same breath as the top 5ish.

Really. That is a challenge.

These are all claimed by themselves or others to be top ten law schools:-

Aberdeen
Birmingham
Bristol
Brunel
Cambridge
Cardiff
City
Derby
Dundee
Durham
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Kent
King's
Lancaster
Leeds
LSE
Manchester
Newcastle
Nottingham
Oxford
Queen Mary
Queen's
Reading
SOAS
Southampton
Staffordshire
Strathclyde
Sussex
Teeside
UCL
Warwick
York

I have found 33. Sorry, Exeter, I couldn't find anyone who said you were in the top ten.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by memszie
PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP

I want to apply to Birmingham

my gcses were 3a* 3a's 3b's 2'c

would my gcse's hold me back ?

I don't see why they would - they may not be amazing, but they're still very good. What I think is holding you back, is that you haven't applied yet?!
What would people generally say is the top 10 unis for law in the uk at the moment?

It seems to change with every league table I read. I believe the Times one is most well respected of the league tables but that doesn't necessarily demonstrate accuracy (University of Reading i'm looking at you).
Original post by aimlessinwonder
It seems to change with every league table I read. I believe the Times one is most well respected of the league tables but that doesn't necessarily demonstrate accuracy (University of Reading i'm looking at you).

Ask yourself what you mean by that, and you are half way to understanding why league tables are virtually useless.

Do you mean that they have added up the figures wrongly for Reading or that Reading supplied false data? Probably not.

What you mean is that the outcome for Reading doesn't match your pre-conception. You regard the result as wrong. That is a valid opinion, indeed it is one I share. However, if it is wrong, the result for UCL or LSE is no more likely to be right, just because it matches your pre-conception. You can't say results are fine when you agree with the answers but wrong when you don't.
Original post by Greatleysteg
I'm so incredibly frustrated... ARGH!!!

Really want to hear back from (ideally get an offer from) at least one of my unis soon. Sent my application off on 11th October. :frown:

TBH I wouldn't hold out much hope. I mean, you only have top grades in all your examinations, three AEAs, and (nearly) a degree from Oxford :wink:
Anyone heard back from UCL yet?
Offer from Reading came through on Track today, happy. Only says conditional though, not what the actual grades I need to get are - but I'll assume they're AAB.
Ask yourself what you mean by that, and you are half way to understanding why league tables are virtually useless.

Do you mean that they have added up the figures wrongly for Reading or that Reading supplied false data? Probably not.

What you mean is that the outcome for Reading doesn't match your pre-conception. You regard the result as wrong. That is a valid opinion, indeed it is one I share. However, if it is wrong, the result for UCL or LSE is no more likely to be right, just because it matches your pre-conception. You can't say results are fine when you agree with the answers but wrong when you don't.

I concede. You make a valid point.

I suppose, it is difficult to create league tables as they take into account a number of factors, such as student satisfaction. A university may have a very high level of graduates entering a mc/sc firm yet be utterly miserable, and thus ranks lower on the table than a university which has perhaps a lower quality of teaching, but a higher level of satisfaction. It all depends on what you look for in a university.

Pre-conceptions are irritating but a fact of life. I would imagine a top law firm values certain universities over others due to pre-conceptions about the quality of them - regardless of what the university may actually be like. Thus I suppose it has to be pre-conceptions that we base much of the judging of universities on as that is what our eventual employers will do also. It's an endless cycle.
Reply 1711
Original post by Eternal*
Anyone heard back from UCL yet?

Check the law offers page, 2 offers and 1 rejection. Interesting..
Original post by Thegoodleftundone
Offer from Reading came through on Track today, happy. Only says conditional though, not what the actual grades I need to get are - but I'll assume they're AAB.

Click the course code on Track (M100 I imagine?) and it should show you your offer :smile:
Original post by aimlessinwonder
Click the course code on Track (M100 I imagine?) and it should show you your offer :smile:

Thank you :smile: AAB.
Thank you :smile: AAB.

When did you apply to reading, i applied to reading but ive heard nothing
Original post by SillyMilly
When did you apply to reading, i applied to reading but ive heard nothing

Ucas sent 11th Nov.

Considering many people send their applications later and get an offer earlier, I wouldn't worry :smile:
Ucas sent 11th Nov.

Considering many people send their applications later and get an offer earlier, I wouldn't worry :smile:

Ooo ok i sent mine of the 16th November the wait is killing me was yours conditional?
Reply 1717
Original post by morton101

Original post by morton101
GCSE: AAAABBBBC
AS GRADES: AABC
A2 PREDICTED: AAA

Just wondering if anyone else has applied for the LLB Law & Politics at Manchester? They have been the slowest to reply to me about almost everything, hoping i get an offer really want it as my second choice!

So far got offers from Exeter (AAA), Leeds (AAA) and Plymouth (BBB), still waiting on Nottingham aswell but I couldn't take the LNAT where I live.... reckon it will hamper my chances?

Anyone else got offers from Exeter or Leeds?!? I loved both of them when i visited, dont know how to choose between them!!:confused:

i have applied for law and pol llb at manc, got my offer through, and i have my notts offer aswell-have u not taken the lnat for that?
Reply 1718
Original post by PKaurB
i heard back from cardiff on thr 8th nov and sent my application on the 20th oct.
AABB
pred.a*a*a/a*
6a*2a1b

pretty much identical results to me for GCSE and AS, but quite different predicted grades for this year! well done and good luck!
Reply 1719
Original post by -Haz-
I have an offer from Birmingham
GCSEs: AAAABBBBBBC
AS: ABBD
Predictions: A*AA
They took about a month to get back to me.

Seriously, don’t worry about having done badly in the LNAT. I thought I’d done awful.. ran out of time on the multiple choice section and had to guess the last few questions without reading the passages, and then I couldn’t think of anything to write for the essay and ended up way under the recommended word limit. I even changed one of the LNAT universities I was applying to as a result because I thought I had no chance (obviously regretting it now :/) I was either incredibly lucky with my guesses or they were impressed with the rest of my application and decided to overlook my LNAT score.

it seems my LNAT went exactly the same except instead of being way under the word limit I just wrote a very bland/not very good essay.... you've given me hope though so thank you! and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending