The Student Room Group

anyone who's doing history or english literature a-level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BenjyK
:gasp: Is English Lit really that hard? I've been toying it up in my mind as whether to do it, considering I only got a B at GCSE :s
Its just i actually enjoyed it, whilst i could do theology, because i got an A* at GCSE (RE) but its guaranteed to be mind-numbingly boring...
But i suppose its the end grade that matters most right... argh...

I only got a B, and I'm currently working to the B/A border :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by BenjyK
:gasp: Is English Lit really that hard? I've been toying it up in my mind as whether to do it, considering I only got a B at GCSE :s
Its just i actually enjoyed it, whilst i could do theology, because i got an A* at GCSE (RE) but its guaranteed to be mind-numbingly boring...
But i suppose its the end grade that matters most right... argh...

Do theology.
I did AQA English Lit AS, and I've just finished Edexcel history A level.
I much preferred history, English Lit just seemed like you were writing *******s rather than actual facts, and I'm not sure if this is specific to my school's English department but you will get so much work that it ends up taking over your life.
History depends on what you do as well, at AS I did Vietnam War/Korean War/Civil Rights in the 1960s which was interesting, and Britain and Ireland 1870-1923 which was ****ing awful. Overall I'd still recommend history more.
Reply 23
I am doing both of those. I am likely to drop English Literature next year. They were both very enjoyable and they complemented my other two subjects (Business Studies/ Economics and Government and Politics).

English Literature ensures that you write according to an argument and the ability to use evidence. Due to taking this as an AS-Level, it benefited my writing for the essays in other subjects, and it undoubtedly gave me an advantage over students only studying science (in terms of writing essays). It is quite hard and I've found that this subject definitely is the most time-consuming.

History requires you to be very analytical. In order to reach the top grades you will need to be able to write essays very well. The subjects are interesting and you will assessed on knowledge and the ability to interpret sources. There is not as much work for A2, however it is harder from what I have seen so far.

They are both very good subjects but they're heavy-going. Either would be fine with the subjects you want to take. It will suggest to universities or future employers that you're well-rounded in terms of your ability. It's better to have a combination of those subjects rather than all sciences.
Reply 24
Original post by liam1994
I only got a B, and I'm currently working to the B/A border :smile:

Really? Which one do you think your likely to get? Because i do need AAA at the end of A2 :s-smilie:

Original post by tehforum
Do theology.

Thats what I'm leaning towards now to be honest but I should probably take more time to think about it, seeing as I've been determined to do English Lit for the past year...
Eng Lit is hard if you don't have the mindset for it, just as Maths is for those (myself included) who just don't 'get' it. If you enjoy reading and chatting about what you've read, then do it. If not, don't. Do something else. It's that simple. If you really, really don't like books, you won't like English. It's only common sense.
English Literature! It requires a lot of reading, but it's better in developing your own opinions/analysis and independent skills. History... not so much. You'll be bored with History.
Reply 27
Original post by BenjyK
Really? Which one do you think your likely to get? Because i do need AAA at the end of A2 :s-smilie:

Certainly English!
I'm aiming for an A, and I think that'll be my only A!
The thing is, if you can write properly and are prepared to read, you'll be able to cope easily, especially if you think you're likely to get AAA at A2.
Do history.

I regret taking lit so much. I used to adore Wuthering Heights, but over anaylsing it has killed it for me. Finding stupid meanings from every word, which the writer probably wasn't even thinking of is such a waste of time and saps all the enjoyment from reading!
Reply 29
do History, I did history with biology and chem for A2 and i really enjoyed it, found it interesting and that the lessons and essays were a nice contrast to the science
Reply 30

Certainly English!
I'm aiming for an A, and I think that'll be my only A!
The thing is, if you can write properly and are prepared to read, you'll be able to cope easily, especially if you think you're likely to get AAA at A2.

I think I'm just going to go for it, its silly really to panic over a few comments online. Thanks, though I'll probably look back at this post in regret in two years time lol :grin:
Reply 31
Original post by BenjyK
I think I'm just going to go for it, its silly really to panic over a few comments online. Thanks, though I'll probably look back at this post in regret in two years time lol :grin:

Aha you'll be fine!
You'll get out of it what you put in it! :smile:
Aha you'll be fine!
You'll get out of it what you put in it! :smile:

Absolutely true. To quote Tom Lehrer, life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends what you put into it...
i did them both for a-level, but found history more interesting but alot of work, where as english literature is easier as its mostly chat ****.com and the best thing is you don't even need to read the books, just read chapter summaries and learn a few quotes from each text =) simples....
Reply 34
Original post by issyconnor
I'm getting freaked out now by all these horror stories about the AQA English Literature B A-level. I'm doing it next year and I'm quite terrified at the prospect.:eek:

I actually enjoyed the course, I was just annoyed at the marking of it :angry:
Reply 35
Original post by pick92
Last summer my friend got his grade back and it said he got an E in the exam, which was pretty much impossible as he was the best in the class. He got it remarked and they gave him a B. Then he went and got full marks in the A2 exam. I don't think its a bad course but they are messing up the marking more and more frequently. It happened with A2 AQA history coursework last year as well...

oh, i'm doing AQA History aswell, hmm i'll make sure i get it re-marked if i feel the grade is ridiculously low.
Hmmm, history is probably more complimentary to science subjects than fiction studies because it involves learning the rules of evidence and analysing things that actually hold some truth.
Original post by onesoulfortwo
history or english literature. which one do you or would you enjoy most and why? what skills do they require? which one would go well with biology and chemistry? i'm not sure what i want to do at uni yet so..

I do both. I love history, and so far preferred that to English Lit.
They require essay writing and analytic skills - do both and two sciences that'll balance you out all lovely
Original post by GLOB
I'm going to be doing AQA English Lit at A-level, why is AQA so bad? :s-smilie:

Because in the exam, you could right the best englis essay known to man, and they'd still give you an E. You have to specifically write to the AOs, or your buggered. Last year, 90% of students in my year got Es. A total joke. And the texts are pathetically bad. However, the A2 is a lot better.
Reply 39
Firstly you should choose the one you enjoy more !
Both are interrelated but not very similar.
When you study literature of course you have to study history too but choosing history is just history!

Between History and Eng Art I chose the later, Though it seemed harder and needed more work but it gave me a better feeling at the end and I never regret my choice and the part I disliked about it was the history part. I found them rough and always used to ask myself what is in it for me in memorizing them?? It was my personal view but history is honored for many.

Anyway If you are interested in memorizing things which adds up to your historical, geographical and political analysis and knowledge then it is History u should choose.

If you like more lively analysis ,dealing with more sensual material, reading meanings behind lines, being a critic and developing your own points of view, studying psychological sides of characters in a work , the social and historical effects on a writer ,then you know your choice.
Why don't u choose both?
To me literature is Great!it made me have a deeper understanding of life and a sharp eye in analyzing.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending