The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Foreign exchanges for medics

Hi, I'm about to go to read medicine at UCL this September and I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be able to study abroad at any point? I looked at their website on foreign exchanges here , but there doesn't seem to be any mention of any opportunities for medics.

I appreciate it might be difficult for medics to study abroad since the course is so specific to UCL, but is it possible at all? I would love to study in America or Australia for a year if possible. If I can't do it during my non-/clinical years, is it possible to do it during the intercalated year, since that's just a general science degree?

Any help/advice would be awesome, thanks!
I would say it would be highly unlikely.

Remember that your medical school teaching and training is regulated by the GMC - although IMGs are allowed to practice in the UK, I would assume that the GMC can't ensure you're teaching, for however long abroad, would integrate with the current teaching from UCL/any other UK medical school.

I am aware of intercalation at other universities, but I'm not sure what UCL's policy is on that, either within the UK or abroad. I would doubt that you would be able to do it abroad.

You should be able to do your electives abroad.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by McKholin
Hi, I'm about to go to read medicine at UCL this September and I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be able to study abroad at any point? I looked at their website on foreign exchanges here , but there doesn't seem to be any mention of any opportunities for medics.

I appreciate it might be difficult for medics to study abroad since the course is so specific to UCL, but is it possible at all? I would love to study in America or Australia for a year if possible. If I can't do it during my non-/clinical years, is it possible to do it during the intercalated year, since that's just a general science degree?

Any help/advice would be awesome, thanks!

I'm a UCL second year, hoping to go abroad next year instead of BSc. If you're still interested, get in touch with me. It's never been done before, but is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending