The Student Room Group

FP2 June 10 last question

This:

Can't do last part. Really bugging me =/. Also spent AGES on part ii), and got angry enough to tear a few pages out of my notebook!

Kind of need some help, thanks!
Original post by jamie092
This:

Can't do last part. Really bugging me =/. Also spent AGES on part ii), and got angry enough to tear a few pages out of my notebook!

Kind of need some help, thanks!

Since the line OB is inclined at an angle of tan1(34)\tan ^{-1}(\frac{3}{4}) to the horizontal, it is given by the line θ=tan1(34)\theta = \tan ^{-1}(\frac{3}{4}) in polar coordinates. The line OA represents the line θ=π\theta = \pi in polar coordinates. Therefore the area you found in part (i) between OB, OA and the curve is equivalent to the area under the curve in polar coordinates between the two bounding lines.

It follows that 12tan1(34)π1(1cosθ)2dθ=(1242x+1dx)6\dfrac{1}{2} \displaystyle\int _{\tan ^{-1}(\frac{3}{4})} ^{\pi} \dfrac{1}{(1-\cos \theta)^2} d\theta = \left(\displaystyle\int ^{4}_{-\frac{1}{2}} \sqrt{2x+1} dx\right) - 6

Note that cos2θ=12sin2θ    cosθ=12sin2(12θ)\cos 2\theta = 1-2\sin ^2\theta \implies \cos \theta = 1-2\sin ^2 (\frac{1}{2}\theta)

    csc2(12θ)=2(1cosθ) \implies \csc ^2(\frac{1}{2}\theta) = \dfrac{2}{(1-\cos \theta)}

Can you put that all together?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest