The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irishcream
Fyodor Dostoyevsky -The Brothers Karamazov. It's such a great book. Has anyone else read it?

Yes I read it a few years ago for the TSR book club (I didn't actually read it until about a year after the book club did it, but it was them that made me buy it in the first place. :redface:) It is fantastic!! I am still very grateful to whoever on TSR recommended it, as it was my first Dostoyevsky and my first Russian book, and it really got me started on reading some things that I love. Is this the first time you've read it? Have you read anything else by him? Enjoy!!

Original post by jsb123
The Death of Ivan Illyich by Tolstoy.

I love this as well, especially as I am a medical student. Are you enjoying it? Have you read anything else by him? I have read Anna Karenina (possibly my favourite book ever) and War and Peace. I would really like to read more at some point but I have no idea what to go for next now I've read the more 'famous' ones. Think I need to have a look around and get some recommendation in the summer when exams are over. Hope you enjoy it!
Reply 2081
Original post by mrs_bellamy

I love this as well, especially as I am a medical student. Are you enjoying it? Have you read anything else by him? I have read Anna Karenina (possibly my favourite book ever) and War and Peace. I would really like to read more at some point but I have no idea what to go for next now I've read the more 'famous' ones. Think I need to have a look around and get some recommendation in the summer when exams are over. Hope you enjoy it!

I preferred War and Peace to Anna. I suppose I was more interested in the historical aspect of W&P. I quite liked The Kreutzer Sonata, and his short stories are quite an interesting read. (Although Tolstoy isn't someone many people associate with 'short' works :tongue:)
Original post by jsb123
I preferred War and Peace to Anna. I suppose I was more interested in the historical aspect of W&P. I quite liked The Kreutzer Sonata, and his short stories are quite an interesting read. (Although Tolstoy isn't someone many people associate with 'short' works :tongue:)

This is going to sound so cheesy, but my favourite thing about Tolstoy is how he manages to describe people emotions so perfectly. There are so many times when a character describes exactly how I have felt in a similar situation and it always amazes me that a Russian man who died quite a while ago knows exactly how I am feeling. Other writers come close, but no-one gets it so right as Tolstoy for me. I really like all the relationship stuff in Anna. I also really really loved Natasha, Andrew, Sonia, Nicolas and Pierres romantic dramas in War and Peace, and loved the combination of a really great story with lots of interesting historical stuff. I do get bored in war scenes though, as much as a try to be interested, reading about a load of men running about shooting at each other, and war tactics etc, is not really for me. :redface: Some of his historical points were repeated quite a lot too, and that last chapter seemed to be repeating everything he had already repeated many times a few times more! Although I guess Anna has it's share of slow parts, with all of Levin's farming. They are both fantastic though, definitely two of my favourite books, but I think Anna slightly wins for me as there is less war.

Thank you for the recommendation! Will add it to my wish list and hopefully get around to it in the summer. :biggrin:
Just finished Apollo 13. Really good read, didn't expect that much from it but it surprised me!

Trying to decide what to read next:
-An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears
-New York - Edward Rutherfurd
Yes I read it a few years ago for the TSR book club (I didn't actually read it until about a year after the book club did it, but it was them that made me buy it in the first place. :redface:) It is fantastic!! I am still very grateful to whoever on TSR recommended it, as it was my first Dostoyevsky and my first Russian book, and it really got me started on reading some things that I love. Is this the first time you've read it? Have you read anything else by him? Enjoy!!

The Brothers Karamazov is my first book of Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's type of the books that you can read many times and find something new every time you read it. I never thought i could be interesting in russian literature, but I guess I was wrong. I'm glad I'm not the only person who likes Fyodor Dostoyevsky.:smile: Next I'll read something of Nikolai Gogol. His works look pretty interesting too.:smile:
the turner diaries, interesting read to say the least...
Bad Science by Ben Goldacre.

It reveals some pretty shocking stories but also makes you laugh. I would definitely recommend it for A-level biology students doing the AQA syllabus :smile:
Reply 2087
This is going to sound so cheesy, but my favourite thing about Tolstoy is how he manages to describe people emotions so perfectly. There are so many times when a character describes exactly how I have felt in a similar situation and it always amazes me that a Russian man who died quite a while ago knows exactly how I am feeling. Other writers come close, but no-one gets it so right as Tolstoy for me. I really like all the relationship stuff in Anna. I also really really loved Natasha, Andrew, Sonia, Nicolas and Pierres romantic dramas in War and Peace, and loved the combination of a really great story with lots of interesting historical stuff. I do get bored in war scenes though, as much as a try to be interested, reading about a load of men running about shooting at each other, and war tactics etc, is not really for me. :redface: Some of his historical points were repeated quite a lot too, and that last chapter seemed to be repeating everything he had already repeated many times a few times more! Although I guess Anna has it's share of slow parts, with all of Levin's farming. They are both fantastic though, definitely two of my favourite books, but I think Anna slightly wins for me as there is less war.

Thank you for the recommendation! Will add it to my wish list and hopefully get around to it in the summer. :biggrin:

I know what you mean. I think that's why he's propbably my favourite author - that ability to present 'real people', and present everything about them (which is why it gets so long), so despite there being hundreds of characters, you can see definition in them all. His tangents can be distracting, though; a bit like Hugo in that respect. A fascinating writer.
Tess of the D'urbervilles
I Know This Much, Gary Kemp
Original post by jsb123
I know what you mean. I think that's why he's propbably my favourite author - that ability to present 'real people', and present everything about them (which is why it gets so long), so despite there being hundreds of characters, you can see definition in them all. His tangents can be distracting, though; a bit like Hugo in that respect. A fascinating writer.

I completely agree. However, I do find some of Tolstoy's tangents quite interesting (sadly NOT the farming ones), whilst I find Hugo's almost all dull and unnecessary or slightly offensive. I am hoping Hugo will grow on me as I'm struggling at the moment. I think my main problem is that so many of the tangents are really preachy and religious, and whilst I understand that a lot of that is due to the time he was writing in, as well as his beliefs, I still find quite a lot of his comments quite offensive as a female atheist. Tolstoy talks about religion quite a lot too, but I don't think he ever really offended me. Anyway, great to chat to another Tolstoy fan!
Just finished 1984 and then Catcher in the Rye. 1984 was pretty good, but Catcher in the Rye was amazing - my favourite novel and book of all time :awesome:

Going to read Heart of Darkness now :smile:
In the last two days I read:
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
Paper Towns - John Green

The Fault in Our Stars is simply faultless, easily Green's best work to date. The setting, the storyline, the characters are each perfect and envelope the reader. As I read TFiOS First, Paper Towns was somewhat of a come down. Don't get me wrong, the book is great but John's improvement is easily viewed between the two books. I found Paper Towns to be a little slow, and I found some of the scenes in the abandoned Mini-Mall to get boring.

Today i'm reading The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger of course. I hope to get it finished before bed. All I can say is why didn't I read this years ago?
It's a masterpiece.

Can anyone recommend me my next read?
Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

It's a book consisted of short stories and one infamous story is 'Guts', which is known for making a number of people faint whilst reading it due to its intensity and gruesome image. To be honest, I bloody loved it. :biggrin: I had to pause a few times to take a breather, though. Intense? Yeah, they got that one right.
Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay.

It's okay so far.
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice :smile:
Reply 2096
Just finished Divergent by Veronica Roth. Most of the reviews said the first 25% wasn't that great but the last 75% was, for me the numbers were the wrong way round, only really got into it when I was three quarters into it, which is annoying as I now want to read the sequel :colonhash:

I'm going to go for a shocking/disturbing book now, going to read Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott.
I've just finished reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and am about to pick up Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer :smile:
Reply 2098
I have started 'Brave New World' by Huxley.

I've really got into reading dystopian novels recently. Love them!
Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden. I'm really enjoying this book. However, I'm finding it all a bit hard to believe to be honest, the use of Australian slang baffles me a little and I find myself Googling many of the words. It's clear that the book was intended for an Australian teen audience, but the context doesn't really detract much from my enjoyment, although I guess because I can't imagine the setting (i.e the Australian-outback-farm-country- scorchingly-hot-atmosphere) it all seems a bit surreal, especially when you add the unbelievably mature way these kids are handling the situation. I'm really excited to see what happens, but since it's part of a series of 7 books, I doubt I'm going to get many answers at the end of this one.

Original post by Hulk Hogan
In the last two days I read:
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
Paper Towns - John Green

The Fault in Our Stars is simply faultless, easily Green's best work to date. The setting, the storyline, the characters are each perfect and envelope the reader. As I read TFiOS First, Paper Towns was somewhat of a come down. Don't get me wrong, the book is great but John's improvement is easily viewed between the two books. I found Paper Towns to be a little slow, and I found some of the scenes in the abandoned Mini-Mall to get boring.

Today i'm reading The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger of course. I hope to get it finished before bed. All I can say is why didn't I read this years ago?
It's a masterpiece.

Can anyone recommend me my next read?

A John Green fan?!! I agree with you completely on TFiOS: Augustus and Hazel were just so amazingly developed and reading their story was very refreshing. I must admit, I was a bit wary when I found out that John was writing a book, and that it was in the voice of a teenage girl, with cancer. I thought that he wouldn't be able to pull it off, with him being a 30 something male WITHOUT cancer. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the book and found that he didn't sugar coat anything. He's a really brilliant YA author, who has the ability to tackle certain topics realistically and still make everything laugh-out-loud hilarious. Sorry I'm rambling. Anyway, have you read Looking for Alaska by John Green? If not, I strongly recommend it; dare I say that I thought it was better than TFiOS? If you have read it, what did you think?

Sorry for the long pargraph, I just got really excited when I saw that you seem to like JG :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending