Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazyferret
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

me too :smile: love it
Reply 2101
Vile Bodies - Evelyn Waugh
and
The Third Reich - Michael Burleigh

I tend to read a non fiction and a fiction at the same time. Unless one of them is really complicated and requires full concentration!
Original post by Pensivedore

A John Green fan?!! I agree with you completely on TFiOS: Augustus and Hazel were just so amazingly developed and reading their story was very refreshing. I must admit, I was a bit wary when I found out that John was writing a book, and that it was in the voice of a teenage girl, with cancer. I thought that he wouldn't be able to pull it off, with him being a 30 something male WITHOUT cancer. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the book and found that he didn't sugar coat anything. He's a really brilliant YA author, who has the ability to tackle certain topics realistically and still make everything laugh-out-loud hilarious. Sorry I'm rambling. Anyway, have you read Looking for Alaska by John Green? If not, I strongly recommend it; dare I say that I thought it was better than TFiOS? If you have read it, what did you think?

Sorry for the long pargraph, I just got really excited when I saw that you seem to like JG :biggrin:

I think it's hard to read a John Green book and not be a fan. I'd been watching John and Hank's vlogbrothers channel for a long time before I finally decided to give him a read, he's great obviously. As for Looking for Alaska, I haven't read it yet. I'm currently reading The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and I'm really enjoying it. Looking for Alaska will hopefully be my next read, but unfortunately I can't find a Kindle copy for it on Amazon, so i'm guessing it's not available in that format. I should be able to lend it off a friend though, so i'm excited for it!
One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's good/incestuous :lolwut:
Original post by Hulk Hogan
I think it's hard to read a John Green book and not be a fan. I'd been watching John and Hank's vlogbrothers channel for a long time before I finally decided to give him a read, he's great obviously. As for Looking for Alaska, I haven't read it yet. I'm currently reading The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and I'm really enjoying it. Looking for Alaska will hopefully be my next read, but unfortunately I can't find a Kindle copy for it on Amazon, so i'm guessing it's not available in that format. I should be able to lend it off a friend though, so i'm excited for it!

I've had that issue. Want to read it, but it clearly isn't available on Kindle! :frown: May have to get a paper copy myself too, as I love TFioS.
Reply 2105
Finished Living Dead Girl, it was disturbing/depressing/brutal.

It didn't matter how the novel ended, it was always going to be a downer.

It's fairly short (finished it in two days) so if you're looking for a brutal read I would recommend it but it's also likely to make you very angry :frown:
Re-reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin ahead of my exam.
I am filled with joy, as my love for this book is extreme.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower was really really great. I'm excited to see how Chbosky adapts it to the screen this year.

In a bit of change in direction from what I've been reading lately, I've started The Lovely Bones by Alive Sebold. Only on chapter four atm, but it's good so far.
Original post by gingerrama
One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's good/incestuous :lolwut:

I've read that - I would've been so lost without the family tree at the front! The having the same name thing got a little confusing after a while..
Necropolis by Anthony Horowitz it's epic! :biggrin:
Original post by Hulk Hogan
The Perks of Being a Wallflower was really really great. I'm excited to see how Chbosky adapts it to the screen this year.

In a bit of change in direction from what I've been reading lately, I've started The Lovely Bones by Alive Sebold. Only on chapter four atm, but it's good so far.

Perks didn't quite live up to its reputation for me :frown:. But will also be interested to see the screen adaptation.
Original post by alexsasg
I've read that - I would've been so lost without the family tree at the front! The having the same name thing got a little confusing after a while..

Aha yess I keep having to flick back and forth...so many variations of Jose :no:
im currently reading two
-house of night
-harry potter
It's taking me a while to get through The Two Towers for some reason, unlike Fellowship which I read quickly.

So to take a break I've started on The Giver by Lois Lowry. Great book, read it loads of times before and it's a quick read. I only started it last night and I've almost already finished it.
I'm reading 'Into the Darkest Corner' by Elizabeth Haynes. Good so far, a little repetitive.

Tbh I haven't read much recently as so busy :frown:

I have loads of great books to read on my kindle; just no time to read them. S.J. Watson - Before I Go To Bed and The Hunger Games I'm keen to read. The Hunger games is really to see what all the fuss is about :wink:
America America by Ethan Canin. Really enjoying it so far, hope it keeps it up.
Original post by sweetiepie82
I'm reading 'Into the Darkest Corner' by Elizabeth Haynes. Good so far, a little repetitive.

Tbh I haven't read much recently as so busy :frown:

I have loads of great books to read on my kindle; just no time to read them. S.J. Watson - Before I Go To Bed and The Hunger Games I'm keen to read. The Hunger games is really to see what all the fuss is about :wink:

These were the last two books I read. Be prepared to be disappointed with Before I go to Sleep :frown:
Original post by Daydreamer18
These were the last two books I read. Be prepared to be disappointed with Before I go to Sleep :frown:

Why were you disappointed with Before I Go To Sleep?

I really liked it!
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
Why were you disappointed with Before I Go To Sleep?

I really liked it!

It's odd because I liked it as I was reading it, but when I finished and reconsidered I felt really negative about it.

There were a few major plot holes where the author had actually contradicted herself, as well as aspects that weren't exactly realistic. Plus I didn't like the ending.
Original post by Daydreamer18
It's odd because I liked it as I was reading it, but when I finished and reconsidered I felt really negative about it.

There were a few major plot holes where the author had actually contradicted herself, as well as aspects that weren't exactly realistic. Plus I didn't like the ending.

What were the plot holes? I'd be interested to hear them if you don't mind. Maybe put them under a spoiler for people who haven't read the book et?

I do get what you mean about the ending. It did feel a bit rushed, and it could have been made better by being a bit longer. But it's still a great book. Did you know they're going to make a movie based on it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending