The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
Mari Strachan - The Earth Hums in B Flat

This is okay but not as good as I hoped based on reviews. The main character is a bit annoying. She is supposed to be about 12 but she is way too naive for her age to an extent that just isn't believeable. In the cover it has a review from the Independent saying it is "authentically quirky" but I couldn't agree with that at all. The "quirkiness" seems a bit contrived IMO.
Original post by Pensivedore
-The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Are you enjoying it so far? Have you read anything else by Hemingway? I recently The Old Man and the Sea and enjoyed it, I am planning to read some more of his books at when this term is over.
Reply 2142
Original post by Phalanges
Now that the last thread has been filled, it's time for a new one! Previous thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100193

I am currently reading Scorsese by Ebert. Pretty damn good read.

im reading the iron daughter by julie kagawa
Reply 2143
Catch-22. I didn't think that it would be so funny!
Original post by senator88
I have wanted to read this for absolutely ages...is it really as good as everyone says? Because if it is then absolutely no revision will get done! :tongue:

Yes, it really is! Some people have said that they didn't like it because they found the main character to be cold or robotic or that the story was unrealistic but I didn't really think that. I guess you'll have to read it to see!

Original post by mrs_bellamy
Are you enjoying it so far? Have you read anything else by Hemingway? I recently The Old Man and the Sea and enjoyed it, I am planning to read some more of his books at when this term is over.

Loving it so far! I haven't read anything else by Hemingway, I'm reading it for Book Club and I'm so glad it was picked, I think I'll read more of his books now.
Bram Stoker's Dracula and Simon Armitage's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I can never read just one thing for some reason.
Original post by Pensivedore
Loving it so far! I haven't read anything else by Hemingway, I'm reading it for Book Club and I'm so glad it was picked, I think I'll read more of his books now.

I love book clubs for that, such a good way to find great books you wouldn't otherwise consider. I've been trying to decide which Hemingway to read next, will definitely add The Sun Also Rises to my list now, thanks!
The Picture of Dorian Gray

It's basically good, but for a book primarily about people sinning very little is actually portrayed in the book :P.
One Day, David Nicholls
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I loved the film and the TV series but the book is even better so far.
Beyond Good and Evil- Nietzsche
The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

Love it so much :love:
I seem to be terrible at finishing books these days, but I am re-reading Inside Out by Terry Trueman. :biggrin:
Reply 2153
Paul Auster - Oracle Night

Never read anything by him before but I am really enjoying this.
Just started reading 'Zombie Survival Guide' by Max Brooks.

So good!
Reply 2155
This morning I started A Storm of Swords: Part 1 by George RR Martin

Can't say I majorly enjoyed the first 2 books as a whole, but I am curious to see where it goes.
Reply 2156
Original post by Yoghurt
This morning I started A Storm of Swords: Part 1 by George RR Martin

Can't say I majorly enjoyed the first 2 books as a whole, but I am curious to see where it goes.

A Storm of Swords is the best in the series but then again I loved the first two books so we probably have different tastes.

Just finished reading Thriteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, was actually really good. Took me a while to get into it, could only read like half an hour every night before getting bored, but was like half way through it at the beginning of last night and ended up reading it all and finishing at like 2. All the way through I was thinking that it would make a really good film, and then when I checked wiki it's rights have apparently been bought already but Selena Gomez has been signed on to play the main character :facepalm2: Hopefully they don;t ruin it, it was a pretty good book.
I'm currently working my way through Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate.

It can be tricky at times to keep track of all the different characters as the narrative jumps from one to another, but aside from that I'm loving it so far. I Would even go so far as to say that it has the potential to topple The Master and Margarita as my favourite Soviet era novel.
I'm reading two at the moment: Nikos Kazantzakis's Zorba the Greek, and Salvador Dali's Diary of a Genius.

Several times during the latter, I had to actually question whether or not I was reading a biography of myself. I'm sure it'll happen several more times before I finish, too.

After that, I'm considering dipping into Tanazaki's The Makioka Sisters.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Reply 2159
I've just started reading Young Stalin by Simon Sebag.
I've also had an ongoing attempt to read War and Peace, but I've only read about 80 pages!

Quick Reply