The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Well University is winding down so I can start to read again.

Think i'm going to start An Instance of The Fingerpost this afternoon
Reply 2161
The Shining - By Stephen King.
One of my personal favorites and one of King's best! :biggrin:
Reply 2162
A Quiet Belief in Angels - R.J.Ellory

Haunting.
Finished Tana French's The Likeness Sunday.

Hoping to get the first books of The Dresden Files soon
Perks of being a wallflower - I really didn't like it :nooo: everyone says it's amazing and stuff but...

Spoiler

Onto Will Grayson, Will Grayson now which is good so far :yep:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I know that Jane keeps saying he's unattractive, but I find Mr. Rochester's character quite charming. :tongue:
I have just started War and Peace by Tolstoy and it's charming!
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Perks of being a wallflower - I really didn't like it :nooo: everyone says it's amazing and stuff but...

Spoiler

I felt similar. I didn't dislike it, as you are saying you do, but I thought it was just average and am not too sure why everyone adores it so much. Not cause it was bad, but just cause I don't see what's that great..
Original post by ktlaurenroe

Spoiler

Original post by Daydreamer18
I felt similar. I didn't dislike it, as you are saying you do, but I thought it was just average and am not too sure why everyone adores it so much. Not cause it was bad, but just cause I don't see what's that great..

I think, with Perks, there is something to say for the age that you read it. I read Perks when I was 14 and really enjoyed it and felt I could relate... I reread it a few years later and didn't really 'get' it anymore. I think people tend to love it at a specific time and they grow out of it as they mature? That said, I have friends who still adore it - though arguably, they are still going through their 'nobody understands me' phase. I'm sure there are people who do genuinely just enjoy it regardless of circumstance, but I do think it's a book you can quite easily grow out of?
Original post by beffnee
I think, with Perks, there is something to say for the age that you read it. I read Perks when I was 14 and really enjoyed it and felt I could relate... I reread it a few years later and didn't really 'get' it anymore. I think people tend to love it at a specific time and they grow out of it as they mature? That said, I have friends who still adore it - though arguably, they are still going through their 'nobody understands me' phase. I'm sure there are people who do genuinely just enjoy it regardless of circumstance, but I do think it's a book you can quite easily grow out of?

You're probably right to be honest :erm: I think he's supposed to have some sort of mental illness or something but I just hated how whiny and self pitying he was, it does have a very "nobody understands my immense pain" feel to it :lol: which gets old and annoying quickly!
Original post by ounce

I am reading Anna Karenina, I can't say I'm too impressed right now.
Still struggling through 'Persuasion'. Luckily, after this, I only need to read 'Mansfield Park' and 'Sense and Sensibility' and then I'm done with Austen...
Original post by beffnee

I guess you're right. I hadn't really thought of that. I read it for the first time at 20 so it probably didn't have the same effect...
Reply 2173
Original post by ounce

Its slow.
Really it needed an editor to cut it in half.

You do get really attach to the character but than Tolstoy goes on for 20 pages about the philosophy of history right before a battle.
I just ended up skimming sections.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I am reading Anna Karenina, I can't say I'm too impressed right now.

i always heard intellectuals discussing tolstoys book but a few chapters into Anna Karenina and War and peace i just got plain bored and had to put it down
Original post by mucgoo
Its slow.
Really it needed an editor to cut it in half.

You do get really attach to the character but than Tolstoy goes on for 20 pages about the philosophy of history right before a battle.
I just ended up skimming sections.

I enjoy that kind of reflections so I'm probably going to go through it with pleasure. :wink:
Original post by ounce

I love Tolstoy. :colondollar:

Original post by KingMessi
Still struggling through 'Persuasion'. Luckily, after this, I only need to read 'Mansfield Park' and 'Sense and Sensibility' and then I'm done with Austen...

It's a shame you're not enjoying Persuasion, I loved it. Why do you have to force yourself to read more Jane Austen if you don't like it? It is for school/uni? Hope you grow to like it at least a little bit so it's not too painful!
Original post by mrs_bellamy
I love Tolstoy. :colondollar:

It's a shame you're not enjoying Persuasion, I loved it. Why do you have to force yourself to read more Jane Austen if you don't like it? It is for school/uni? Hope you grow to like it at least a little bit so it's not too painful!

I appreciate Austen's works are very well-written, ironic and show high levels of technical skill, but I just personally find them rather slow and slightly dull. It's not that bad, it's just not my first choice of writer. It's generally for uni; I think it'll be useful to have read them all. I've already done 'Northanger Abbey', 'Emma' and 'Pride and Prejudice', all twice, so it's not painful; just a bit dry.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Reply 2179
Authentic Leadership - Bill George

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending