The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
Just finished 'A Quiet Belief in Angels', it was literally one of the most haunting and captivating books I think I've ever read.

Now on to 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde', though it isn't very long so will probably finish it this evening!
Just started Mockingjay.
The Edible Woman, Margaret Atwood
Reply 2183
Jeremy Clarkson-How hard can it be
Reply 2184
L'âge de raison - Jean-Paul Sartre
The Great Gatsby.
I have never found a novel so frustrating in my life.
Just finished reading Voltaire in Love, after Frederick the Great yesterday....I hope my dad still has his Mitford biography somewhere! oh brilliant woman she is!

Also finished White Oleander today. Well. Hmm. Not so brilliant.
Original post by mrs_bellamy
The Edible Woman, Margaret Atwood

If you've also read the Handmaid's Tale, would you say it's better than that?

Her books have been recommended to me and I was wondering which one I should start reading first.
Original post by alexsasg
If you've also read the Handmaid's Tale, would you say it's better than that?

Her books have been recommended to me and I was wondering which one I should start reading first.

I'm quite a big fan of Margaret Atwood. I've read Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake, and am about half way through Edible Woman. I think I would recommend reading Handmaid's Tale first. I am really enjoying Edible Woman, but it generally seems less popular and less famous than Handmaid's Tale, so I think HT would be a better one to start with. Hopefully you will like it and go on to read Edible Woman. :biggrin:
The Green Mile by Stephen King
Reply 2190
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.
Reply 2191
Belle de Jour - The intimate adventures of a London call girl. I am in love with her quirky style of writing.
Death in Venice, by Thomas Mann.

I have quite a few novellas lined up, and I'm starting with that.
Reply 2193
Big Sur - Jack Kerouac
Original post by mrs_bellamy
I'm quite a big fan of Margaret Atwood. I've read Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake, and am about half way through Edible Woman. I think I would recommend reading Handmaid's Tale first. I am really enjoying Edible Woman, but it generally seems less popular and less famous than Handmaid's Tale, so I think HT would be a better one to start with. Hopefully you will like it and go on to read Edible Woman. :biggrin:

Ooh okay, thanks :smile: I'll do that then!
Reply 2195
Orlando - Virginia Woolf. Then I'm determined to read The Hobbit.
Reply 2196
None at the moment. I have a "no books during exam time" policy because when I really get into a book I will just read it pretty much non-stop untill it's done.

But I recently bought Crime and Punishment for when the exams are over :smile:
I finished 'The Hunger Games' trilogy so I'm now reading Matthew Arnold's 'Culture and Anarchy'...
The Tin Princess by Phillip Pullman
Reply 2199
Original post by jsb123
The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass.

One of my favourite books. Astonishing literature.

And the follow-up - Cat and Mouse. :coma: I must read Dog Years soon to round off the Danzig trilogy.

Thinking of trying to blitz through Hornby's High Fidelity and see if I get can through it before tomorrow afternoon. Need some light reading at the moment. :beard:

Quick Reply