The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by umar39
I'm reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I would highly recommend this book!

cant find it at the library...got americanah tho...currently readung disgrace by jm coetzee
Finally, I am done with Night Train to Lisbon. Beeutiful novel! this expression of words and sentences, wonderful. it became one of my favorites within five days. * *

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
L’étranger - Camus
:france:

Spoiler

Are you talking about Albert Camus? it could be that I have read the same years ago. Can you describe the story, please?*
Original post by Kallisto
Finally, I am done with Night Train to Lisbon. Beeutiful novel! this expression of words and sentences, wonderful. it became one of my favorites within five days. * *
Are you talking about Albert Camus? it could be that I have read the same years ago. Can you describe the story, please?*

I have only read 2 pages :lol:
but maybe

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I have only read 2 pages :lol:
but maybe

Spoiler

Have read it on Wikipedia and no, it is not so familar to me as I thought first. I have confused this novel with another one.*
Just finished Claire North, "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August"

Now reading T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Night Train to Lisbon is great - I particularly loved the bits from Prado's diary about religion, how he hates it but at the same time admits:

"I would not like to live in a world without cathedrals. I need their beauty and grandeur. I need their imperious silence. I need it against the witless bellowing of the barracks yard and the witty chatter of the yes-men. I want to hear the rustling of the organ, this deluge of ethereal notes. I need it against the shrill farce of marches."
(edited 7 years ago)
Currently easing my self into summer reading with Violets are Blue by James Patterson.

Thrillers are my guilty pleasure, and there's something about Patterson that makes me want to keep reading on. I know the books aren't well written, and yet the short, punchy chapters and dialogue really pull me along for the ride. I also relate really well to Alex Cross, which surprises me as he is a lot of things I am not (black, tall, tough, moralistic, religious). The way he writes psychopaths always astonishes me as well.

Outside of the summer I only really read for my book club, which very rarely chooses thrillers, so it's nice to have a change of pace from literary fiction. That said, I am eyeing Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (got in a recent Kindle daily deal) and The Secret History by Donna Tartt (my choice for book club after the superb Goldfinch) hungrily.
Right now reading "How to Win Friends and influence people" by Dale carnegie

This book is quite good I am only on chapter 2 but it is a book that so far has Historic evidence which is always American there is a lot of stuff about Lincoln in Chapter 1.

Finishing this ASAP should be good 250 or so pages.
Currently reading "My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises", by the same guy who wrote "A Man Called Ove".

The idea is interesting, but I'm finding it difficult to get into. A 7 year-old protagonist makes it difficult for me to relate to the story, although the drip-feeding of interesting information is still present to keep some interest.
Finally got round to reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I've almost finished the first one and they are fantastic. Really recommend them if you like fantasy books. The way the magic works is unique and interesting.
Have recently re-read about twenty of my past fav books (e.g. At the Back of the North Wind, The White Darkness and Life, The Universe and Everything), read random kids' books I picked up from the shelf, and am reading War and Peace (by you-know-who) and a book called Bees of the world (by Chris O'Toole and Anthony Raw) which is more of a science book for geeks than a novel... Also set on reading Pride and Prejudice once a month for the next year, for English... am getting very sick of it :tongue: lolBtw, W&P is quite dry, so far, but I have great hopes that it will pick up, having read Anna Karenina, which was brilliant! Recommend it to anyone (who has enough patience to plough through a daunting-looking book - believe me, it pays off).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tory88
Currently reading "My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises", by the same guy who wrote "A Man Called Ove".

The idea is interesting, but I'm finding it difficult to get into. A 7 year-old protagonist makes it difficult for me to relate to the story, although the drip-feeding of interesting information is still present to keep some interest.

A man called ove is one of my favourite books! I agree with you about the second book though.
I'm currently reading the third of Frederik Backman's books, called Britt-Marie was here... I'm only a chapter in but I think I will prefer it to the second.
Original post by MusiK.622
A man called ove is one of my favourite books! I agree with you about the second book though.
I'm currently reading the third of Frederik Backman's books, called Britt-Marie was here... I'm only a chapter in but I think I will prefer it to the second.

I really enjoyed A Man Called Ove, as did all of my book club. The character was so reminiscent of my father, and it was just so easy and enjoyable to read.

Is that the same Britt-Marie as from the second book?
(edited 7 years ago)
Just finished Batman: The Killing Joke after seeing the new animated film at the cinema, never ever gets old :biggrin:
Original post by tory88
I really enjoyed A Man Called Ove, as did all of my book club. The character was so reminiscent of my father, and it was just so easy and enjoyable to read.

Is that the same Britt-Marie as from the second book?

It is the same Britt-Marie.
I liked how the first book was equal parts funny (like the first chapter about computer!) and sad... I *almost* cried at the end and that does not happen a lot.
Hope you and your book group enjoy My Grandmother Sends Her Regards And Apologises. :h:
Letters From a Stoic ~ Seneca.

It's a strange reflection of society when advice given 2000 years ago is still relevant today.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
It was a fun book. Felt great to be in the Harry Potter world again but reading it, it just didn't feel like Harry Potter. There's too much fan fiction.
I am reading of Mice and Men at the moment. It is a short novel penned by the nobel price winner John Steinbeck. *
Original post by Inexorably
Letters From a Stoic ~ Seneca.

It's a strange reflection of society when advice given 2000 years ago is still relevant today.

Is it written in Latin and translated into English? I am interest in Ancient Roman poets and philosophers now, that is why I ask you. Would love to read them in original language and translation.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am reading of Mice and Men at the moment. It is a short novel penned by the nobel price winner John Steinbeck. *

Of mice and men was possibly the worst book I have read, and I have read some terrible books in my time. It doesn't help that it regularly blasphemes (I'm Christian) and the fact it is based in America in a boring time with little/no real plot. It feels like a poorly written extract of a larger book. I personally hate 'Of Mice and Men'.
Is it written in Latin and translated into English? I am interest in Ancient Roman poets and philosophers now, that is why I ask you. WOuld love to read them in original language and translation.

I've just googled yes and they were originally written in latin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistulae_morales_ad_Lucilium

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending