The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The Algebraist - Iain M. Banks

Received it as a gift on my 14th birthday and couldn't comprehend it at all; returning to it four years later, I'm very much enjoying it.

Although prior to starting the book, I was drafting a short story involving a galactic organisation preventing the creation of (and destroying existing) artificially intelligent machines, before discovering that this was pretty much the backdrop for Banks' novel. :colondollar:
Original post by azurefalls
Ahh, AWESOME series! My favourite was Catching Fire; I can't wait for the film! Though I'm not all that impressed with the casting so far :/
I wasn't a huge fan of Mockingjay tbh, but it was still a great book; hope you enjoy it despite spoiling the end :P

I hadn't realised there was a film until someone mentioned it this morning! But IMDB'ing it, they don't look how I imagined much. Most of the main characters not at all.

Only have until Friday to read it before I have to give it back. And so much stuff to do! Oh dear.
Reply 82
Original post by duckjustice

Original post by duckjustice
I hadn't realised there was a film until someone mentioned it this morning! But IMDB'ing it, they don't look how I imagined much. Most of the main characters not at all.

Only have until Friday to read it before I have to give it back. And so much stuff to do! Oh dear.

Ack, I know, right? Having seen the magazine release images, Katniss did look a little more the part after having been through hair and make-up and so on, but idk, she still just isn't really the Katniss I imagined. And NONE of the other characters look how I imagined. :/ Eh, I guess that's just what happens when books go visual. :P I just hope they don't try to make it too... relatable. D;
I can't decide which one to start - The Perks of Being a Wallflower or The Runaway, both are supposed to be really good so I'm torn. :frown: (I know I can read both but I don't know which I should start with...)
Currently reading 'The Golden Fool' by Robin Hobb. I absolutely love her stories, so this is really just a re-read! I've also got 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks on the go too.
Reply 85
Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto Guevara and soon starting No Logo by Naomi Klein.

I feel like a cliché of a left wing university student despite not being at university yet.
Reply 86
Currently reading 'The Golden Fool' by Robin Hobb

I'm actually half way through 'The Ship of Destiny' , third book of the Liveship Traders and its actually amazing.
Original post by kurovalte
I'm actually half way through 'The Ship of Destiny' , third book of the Liveship Traders and its actually amazing.

I haven't read the Liveship ones :frown: Only the two Farseer series, and I know that means I've read them out of order! But I intend to get those next time I order some new books :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by azurefalls
Currently reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. The narration can be a little repetitive, but it's a good read! :smile:

i've read this! i love it :smile: i know what you mean about the repetition. though isn't it supposed to be like tht? :smile:
Reply 89
i've just read dissolution courtesy of world book night, and am trying to find time to read sovereign which is the second one... oh i've just read the girl with the dragon tattoo and have read the prologue of the second one, yet to find time for the rest of it though haha :smile:
This is my first post. :smile:
I'm currently reading Tristram Shandy
I finished The Great Gatsby the other day. Currently reading American Psycho, Coraline, and re-reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Reply 92
Interesting how the previous thread on this topic started on 2nd June 2005 and ended a week earlier six years later. I thought these threads could last forever; I never realised that there was a limit on posts and pages (10,000 posts and 500 pages)

Currently reading a book on the Weimar Republic for one of my History modules by someone called Eberhard Kolb.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
The Ring by Danielle Steel - one of my favourite guilty pleasures. Me heart Danielle Steel
Also have The Acts of King Arthur by Steinbeck on the go as well
ill be back reading trouble twisters by garth nix and sean williams as soon as my exams are done :biggrin:
Finished "George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia" two days ago :h: Very good book which i would recommend. Whether you are interested in the Spanish civil war or not, i think you would find it an interesting and enjoyable read.

Haven't started reading a new book yet though but i shall when i am back home in about a week and a half :smile: Haven't decided what to read yet >_>
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
Bernard Marx and the Savage. :love:

Bernard Marx is :heart:
Original post by Forever a Gnome
I can't decide which one to start - The Perks of Being a Wallflower or The Runaway, both are supposed to be really good so I'm torn. :frown: (I know I can read both but I don't know which I should start with...)

Read 'Perks of being a Wallflower' first- I absolutely loved it :smile: I'm reading One Day by Nicholls at the moment...pretty good so far :wink:
Reply 98
Trudi Canavan - The Rogue
Original post by barrister_2000
Read 'Perks of being a Wallflower' first- I absolutely loved it :smile: I'm reading One Day by Nicholls at the moment...pretty good so far :wink:

Ooh, that's good - I think it's next on my list of books to get! :smile: Unfortunately it won't be for a while, I've spent SO much on books in the past few days. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending