The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Now that the last thread has been filled, it's time for a new one! Previous thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100193

I am currently reading Scorsese by Ebert. Pretty damn good read.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Michael Phelps's autobiography. Not that great a read. Constantly going on about splits and race times and not about much else, tbh.

Keen to loan out Game of Thrones from library but there's a very lengthy waiting list, ffs.

Got Brian Moore's autobiography waiting in the wings once I've finished with Phelps's book.
Brave New World.

Again. :rolleyes: Brilliant book though. Love a good dystopian/utopian fantasy, me.
George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia
Reply 4
Original post by chinaberry
Hated that book! What do you think of it?

I've finished it now; same, the woman is SO irritating. I actually found it hard to finish it was that bad! :s-smilie:

Why did you not like it then? I thought she just over-analysed everything!
Original post by Evielee_17
I've finished it now; same, the woman is SO irritating. I actually found it hard to finish it was that bad! :s-smilie:

Why did you not like it then? I thought she just over-analysed everything!

Gosh, yes. Her writing is so over indulgent and she keeps mentioning how clever she is. I.e. "not everyone can have the curiosity to be interested in the metaphysical...but it's okay, I do"- that kind of thing. She just didn't seem like a natural writer. And she sounded like a spoilt brat too. So she had a bad time with her divorce. Doesn't mean she absolutely needs to go to Italy and the other two places she went. She makes herself out to be such a spiritual person, but it seems unrealistic and put on. It was a while ago that I read it, I just remember hating it by the end!
Reply 6
Satori in Paris - Jack Kerouac
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Reply 9
Arctic Chill by Arnaldur Indriðason.

Íslenskir þjóðhættir by Jónas Jónasson frá Hrafnagili.
Reply 10
I just finished reading "The Things They Carried."
And now I've taken to carrying around "11,002 Things To Be Miserable About."
Reply 11
Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
Bernard Marx and the Savage. :love:

:love: the Savage is awesome, but I quite liked Mustafa Mond and Helmholtz, actually. They seemed interesting.
Reply 13
Original post by yo-less

i'm reading The Wind Singer...lalala :biggrin:

You mean the one by William Nicholson? I love that series.
Crecsendo by Becca Fitzpatrick :smile:
Just finished Barack Obama - Dreams from my Father. Love him! Surprisingly well-written. Now starting Voltaire - Candide. Not too sure what I make of it yet, but I see what he's getting at, which is unusual for me with books that have a lot of subtext :rolleyes:
I've heard it's the best book about the Spanish civil war. Judging from what you've read so far, would you say that claim is justified?

Yeah, i have this book and The Spanish Cockpit by Franz Borkenau are two of the best books to read. I do not know much about the Spanish civil war and i am not widely read in the subject, so personally i can't really compare it to other book of the Spanish civil war. It does however seem well written to me and is turnign out to be a good read. He talks about the Spanish civil war from his view in the trenches etc... At the moment i would say the book appears to be more about 'what it was like' rather than 'what it was about'.
Reply 17
Just started reading 'Sophie's World'
Reply 18
Now reading girl, interrupted. It's really interesting.
Yeah, admittedly I'm not too familiar with the subject either. But it's Orwell, and I love Orwell; I try to read anything he's written. My birthday's actually approaching, so I'm going to ask for a ****e-load of his writings. Do you own any of his other books?

Have you read the other book you mentioned?

I've read Animal Farm, which i own, and i've taken 1984 out of the library before and read. I am also taking Homage to Catalonia out from the library. Generally i take books out of the library. But from few books of his i have read i must admit that he is a great author. Are there are other Orwell books you'd recommend? I was thinking of reading Down and Out in Paris?

Not yet but it is on my list of books to read. Exams and assignments have put me behind on reading a lot of books. :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending