The Student Room Group
Both would be fantastic, so I think it has to come down to which you'd prefer. Italian wouldn't be as useful if you want to go into business though, so if you want to take up a new language, Chinese or Japanese would be preferable.
You could probably go into business without having done a degree in it but equally you can become fluent in a languages without needing to study it at university. I think there may also be a few degrees where you can do two languages and business. In the end, you will need to decide whether you'll be happy doing two languages as you might find there is not as much variation in what you do compared to doing a degree with a business aspect to it.
Reply 3
We need to know what kind of field you want to work in.. If business the former is better, if pure language work, the second option would be preferable unless you want to do translation for businesses...
Reply 4
personally i'd say the first.
Generally speaking, as we don;t know what you want to be, I'd go with the second one. Also so much is now down to experience as opposed to degrees, so I'd go with the second and become ace at two languages then build up from there - it'll be much more valuable in the long term to speak two languages.
I think I am going to go for the first although I will be doing as much extra work (electives etc) in other languages, Japanese/Chinese especially!

I think :s-smilie:
Reply 7
If you have no prior experience of oriental languages, they're very difficult to learn and take a lot of time, so I wouldn't bank on doing either Chinese or Japanese with any other language, unless you're uber smart!

I think you'd have to be a genius to learn them to any standard solely from electives.
Gravastar
If you have no prior experience of oriental languages, they're very difficult to learn and take a lot of time, so I wouldn't bank on doing either Chinese or Japanese with any other language, unless you're uber smart!

I think you'd have to be a genius to learn them to any standard solely from electives.

I know I didn't mean I'd learn 'em fully obv but anything extra is useful, and a little bit is better than none :smile:
Reply 9
Do people with business studies actually become top-flying managers? I don't know. I'd go for the two languages, but it's up to you - what are you most interested in learning?
gringalet
Do people with business studies actually become top-flying managers? I don't know. I'd go for the two languages, but it's up to you - what are you most interested in learning?

I just know I want to do German with something extra career-enhancing, if that makes sense!!
I'd say just do what you enjoy more as they both sound like good courses and you don't want to do a 4 year long course that you won't enjoy.
flikkydoodles
I'd say just do what you enjoy more as they both sound like good courses and you don't want to do a 4 year long course that you won't enjoy.

Yeah I think you're right, that really is what I need to decide! x

Latest

Trending

Trending