The Student Room Group

If I am too ill to go to university this year will they give me a defered entry?

I got a contidional offer from the university I really want to go to and firmed it a couple of months ago.

Now my health is going down hill and I am concerned that I will be too ill to go to university this year and may have to take a year out to recover. I have a lot of health problems both physically and psychologically, most of which the university have been informed of.

Should I contact the university now or wait untill after I have my results and my offer becomes unconditional?

I was just wondering because if i do not tell them untill my offer is unconditional would they be more likely to let me have a defered entry?

I am really worried about this, i do not want to face all the stress of reapplying next year and I already have a offer from the university I have wanted to go to for so long, I would be so gutted if I lost that through no fault of my own just because I am ill.
What should I do?

Any advice will be really appreciated. Thanks.
I think that when you have the grades you can defer anyway. But if you ring them now it might put your mind at rest a bit, I'm almost certain they will defer it for you.
Reply 2
Tell then when you're actually sure. Because i you tell them now they may defer you, but then if you get better they won't want to un-defer.
Reply 3
Let me know how it goes for you, as I am currently in the same position. It's so stressful trying to revise for exams while you're ill isn't it :s-smilie: x
Reply 4
I'm so sorry to hear you're unwell. I had to defer my third year of university due to stress and anxiety making me lose a lot of weight and therefore get quite ill. I had no problem deferring my year, I needed a doctors note obviously and had to write loads of statements and things but it all went smoothly. I know you're in a bit of a different situation because you haven't gone to uni yet but I really think they will let you do it, just explain your situation and say that, depending on how you are in August/September whenever you need to let them know, you would obviously like to go to their university but may have to defer the year. You'll probably find they've come across something like this before, if you take into account how many people go to university and how many people unfortunately fall ill :frown: Good luck x
Reply 5
Original post by m90
I'm so sorry to hear you're unwell. I had to defer my third year of university due to stress and anxiety making me lose a lot of weight and therefore get quite ill. I had no problem deferring my year, I needed a doctors note obviously and had to write loads of statements and things but it all went smoothly. I know you're in a bit of a different situation because you haven't gone to uni yet but I really think they will let you do it, just explain your situation and say that, depending on how you are in August/September whenever you need to let them know, you would obviously like to go to their university but may have to defer the year. You'll probably find they've come across something like this before, if you take into account how many people go to university and how many people unfortunately fall ill :frown: Good luck x

I echo this post. I've had so many health problems and have recently been in hospital and missed virtually all semester 2 exams at uni. I have an exam on thursday but have been so ill and my uni are very understanding when it comes to exams and illness. In year 13, when I applied to medical school, I didn't tell the uni about my illness until it was too late so when I missed my grades they threw that back in my face - make sure you inform them about what is going on and don't leave things till the last minute. They probably will defer you anyway, most do in this situation if you feel you are not up to it.
Reply 6
I got my place deferred for Oxford. They were really understanding about my illness and I had a note from my doctor advising me not to take my exams. So it can be done.

Otherwise you can always apply again next year; as long as you can get a doctors note stating you've been ill universities will be understanding that you've applied a year later.
This is what I plan to do with all my other choices.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest