The Student Room Group

Are my subjects good enough for a top university?

So basically when I chose my subjects I wasn't as 'educationally motivated' as I am now and so at AS I'm currently studying, English Language, Sociology, Psychology and Media Studies.

Next year, I'm hoping to drop Media, so I'd recieve A-Levels in English Language, Sociology and Psychology.
I really want to study Politics at a good university in the near future but I'm constantly being told my subjects aren't 'good enough' which infuriates me because I'm trying really hard and I'm confident I'll finish this year with an A in all four of my AS levels.
Next month I've booked open days for the following universitys; Warwick, Bath, Bristol, York, Durham and Nottingham, however I now feel like I'm punching above my weight.. has anyone got some advice or information that could help me? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't really know about politics... look at the university websites? Politics probably requires essay subjects. It will depend on your grades as well so just... do really well :smile:
People on here are just going to spread myths and rumours whether meaning to or not. Your best bet would be to email the admissions departments of the universities.
Reply 3
Ooh Media is definitely a NO-NO
drop media and they're fine!
Reply 5
Original post by charliese
So basically when I chose my subjects I wasn't as 'educationally motivated' as I am now and so at AS I'm currently studying, English Language, Sociology, Psychology and Media Studies.

Next year, I'm hoping to drop Media, so I'd recieve A-Levels in English Language, Sociology and Psychology.
I really want to study Politics at a good university in the near future but I'm constantly being told my subjects aren't 'good enough' which infuriates me because I'm trying really hard and I'm confident I'll finish this year with an A in all four of my AS levels.
Next month I've booked open days for the following universitys; Warwick, Bath, Bristol, York, Durham and Nottingham, however I now feel like I'm punching above my weight.. has anyone got some advice or information that could help me? :confused:

A List = Subjects which will help you get into any degree
B List = Subjects which will help you to get into degrees of the same name
C List = Subjects that won't help you at all.

All of your subjects are "B" list subjects.

Politics at Uni involves - Politics, Philosophy and Economics doesn't it?
Reply 6
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
I don't really know about politics... look at the university websites? Politics probably requires essay subjects. It will depend on your grades as well so just... do really well :smile:

It says on most of them 'requires an A in a Social Science', but I'm just worried they'll also want Maths or Chemistry or something equally as oppsite to what I've chosen..
Reply 7
Original post by adamjay
A List = Subjects which will help you get into any degree
B List = Subjects which will help you to get into degrees of the same name
C List = Subjects that won't help you at all.

All of your subjects are "B" list subjects.

No, you only need Economics/Maths if you want to do Politics AND Economics.
I just want to do Politics.
PPE, which is what you're referring to, is an Oxbridge course, and I'm not applying there..
Reply 8
It says on most of them 'requires an A in a Social Science', but I'm just worried they'll also want Maths or Chemistry or something equally as oppsite to what I've chosen..

Well you're doing more than 1 social science aren't you? You fit their entry requirements so I'm sure you'd be considered if you get excellent grades in those subjects and have a good personal statement.

It is probably worth emailing the departments themselves though as they will know better than anyone on this site what they are looking for.
Reply 9
It is not a waste at all. I know people who have got into Oxford without even obtaining A's.

If you achieve good grades, and write a good personal statement/application, and make a point of yourself being interested in the course, you will not only get in, but stand out from the crowd.

I was given an offer from Kings for War Studies, even though I dropped out of my A-Levels to pursue Political interests abroad in Colombia! However, traveling to Colombia, along with achieving good grades on my essays, helped a lot anyway.

Your subject choices are certainly not the be all and end all. Achieve good grades, fill out a good application, and show your interest by sending emails to admissions, and even ask to speak with some Professors for ‘guidance’ on a one to one. In other words, use strategy to achieve your interests. It makes you stand out of the crowd.

I will even go further to say that do not just dismiss Oxford. There is still hope. Do voluntary work, travel to a different country which will benefit you in relation to understanding politics, and if need be, take a gap year.

There are many ways to ‘make it happen’ and stand out of the crowd, even from those with the best grades. Experience, especially experience which is unheard of, will take you a very long way. It did me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by adamjay

You're thinking more of PPE than straight Politics. OP, your subject choices aren't as bad as some would have you believe. Sociology is especially useful if you're applying for politics, and before someone quotes me with that "Cambridge subject list", I'll point out Cambridge list Sociology as a "helpful" subject to have when applying to their Politics based degree, PPS. Also, do Warwick have a second open day? Didn't know that.
Your subjects will definitely hurt your chances but probably wont KILL them completely.

In b4, "It only matters what is in your heart, all subjects are exactly equal to all other subjects"

I do the same subjects as you (except I do Eng Lit & Lang combined), so don't worry, you're not the only one - I didn't really think about what I wanted to do at uni (partially because I didn't know) and I want to go to a top uni as well...I'm now worried that I won't be able to get in because my subjects are 'mickey mouse'. I think as long as you have a brilliant PS, and can justify why you chose those subjects/how they will help for your degree you should be fine. At the open days it would be worthwile asking the Politics depts. about entry requirements - we all have an opinion but the people who will tell you straight will be at the uni of your choice, and they could give you some good advice. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
I'd email the department at each of the universities you're looking at - for politics, some might want you to have either politics or history or similar at A level, which you at the moment don't. I didn't apply for politics though, so this is just speculation - as are most of the responses you'll get on here. I'd contact admissions for some more informed advice. If you don't have the required subject, don't panic as there's always a solution, even if it involves delaying uni for a year :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Plonk
Also, do Warwick have a second open day? Didn't know that.

No, it's not an open day as such, it's a two hour tour. Not 100% what it's being called, but I know it's not classed as an open day, more of a 'look around'.
Reply 15
You're most probably going to be able to get into a decent Civic/Red-Brick Uni with A-Levels like that.
Sociology is preferable to have if you're applying for Politics at University.
Try and do Government and Politics at AS next year? It'll strengthen your application no end.

Tbh for Politics your A-Level choice isn't so important. I've seen others on here get in with 3 'soft' subjects. Only LSE and Cambridge would look down on your choices, but I assume you aren't applying to either. For the others its all about the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending