The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by around
Well, you need a password that gets delivered to your pigeonhole at uni...

maybe get your friends to check your mail for you?

EDIT: Hmm, I just sort of pressed the button to apply for an account and it said it'd be posted to me at my internal address; perhaps the porters will forward. Ta for your help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Melz0r
Whuuut. I don't even know I have a pigeonhole any more :'( Well, that's that screwed 'til October at least, then...

If you just want popular TV shows like Outnumbered then there are other ways of obtaining them, though TSR rules probably prohibit me from saying any more on this topic. :ninja:
Reply 2162
Original post by alex_hk90
If you just want popular TV shows like Outnumbered then there are other ways of obtaining them, though TSR rules probably prohibit me from saying any more on this topic. :ninja:

To be honest I do quite want the journal access too :biggrin: Ahwell, will work hopefully.
Original post by Melz0r
*looks at list of instructions in bafflement* Okay, that should be doable, thanks.

Should I do this now or once I get abroad or doesn't it matter?

I don't know why people haven't suggested a SSH tunnel to PWF yet. That's probably the easiest thing to do to get what you want.

1. Download PuTTY here
2. When you run it, put in "linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk" as host.
3. Go to Connection >> SSH >> Tunnels on the left. Put in a number (51080 will work) as port and choose Dynamic. Press add.
4. Press open to connect.
5. Login using your pwf username and password.
6. Set your favourite browser to use proxy protocol SOCKS5 and host "localhost", with port 51080. Everything you browse in that browser will go through the PWF network.
Original post by Athena

Original post by Athena
It's been gone nearly a year now - it's a Ladbrokes :bawling:

:frown: Indeed. I only used to go to the LBGT Sunday Socials when they were held at the Waffle House as the waffles were SO GOOD.
Reply 2165
Original post by ukdragon37
I don't know why people haven't suggested a SSH tunnel to PWF yet. That's probably the easiest thing to do to get what you want.

1. Download PuTTY here
2. When you run it, put in "linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk" as host.
3. Go to Connection >> SSH >> Tunnels on the left. Put in a number (51080 will work) as port and choose Dynamic. Press add.
4. Press open to connect.
5. Login using your pwf username and password.
6. Set your favourite browser to use proxy protocol SOCKS5 and host "localhost", with port 51080. Everything you browse in that browser will go through the PWF network.

Thanks very much! :smile:
Original post by Melz0r

You might want to do some tests just to make sure you really are connecting through Cambridge. Check some journal sites or go to speedtest.net and it should report you as from Cambridge University.
Original post by Melz0r

Also, check facebook. :smile:

----------------

I might need to get solutions for "What do I do when I don't have enough room on my shelf in the fridge for beer and food simultaneously?" Thoughts? I'm thinking paddling pool of ice in my room, like at June Events, but that might get messy. People of TSR, advice?
Reply 2168
Original post by kpatb
But I dont think my mum would be too glad if I listed someone as my parent on facebook xD She would probably be in tears :P

LOL my mum wasn't very happy when I did. She refers to her as my "Cambridge mummy" though.

The book I ordered hasn't come yet :sad: I hope it comes tomorrow as I want to take it home with me this weekend.
Original post by Melz0r
To be honest I do quite want the journal access too :biggrin: Ahwell, will work hopefully.
This method won't let you watch iplayer, but the list of ejournals at the library website now routes you through a proxy server when you choose one from outside of Cambridge - you see a Raven login page and then things work, although the addresses are like "libsta2042.cam.ac.uk" or something like that. There's also a bookmarklet thing you can just click on from a journal website but it doesn't work everywhere for me (although I doubt you'll be interested in accessing Physical Review Letters remotely..)
Reply 2170
Original post by Canned Door
Also, check facebook. :smile:

----------------

I might need to get solutions for "What do I do when I don't have enough room on my shelf in the fridge for beer and food simultaneously?" Thoughts? I'm thinking paddling pool of ice in my room, like at June Events, but that might get messy. People of TSR, advice?

Got a balcony? We always had a crate or two of beer out there in our WG... best in Winter, obvs, but works pretty well at nights in Autumn too.
Moving is such a hassle without a car :frown:

Also I'm cooking tasty lamb steaks, and would like nothing more than a glass of red wine to go with, but I just worked out extremely intensely so can't :dry: Still... productive workout!
Reply 2172
Talking of parents - I've just got an email from my "marraine" (godmother) at my YA uni! :love:
Original post by Craghyrax
Also I'm cooking tasty lamb steaks, and would like nothing more than a glass of red wine to go with, but I just worked out extremely intensely so can't :dry: Still... productive workout!

I should probably know this, but why can't you have red wine after an intense workout?
I hate smoothies because I've yet to find any except the yoghurt and vanilla bean/maple syrup style that don't contain banana :yucky: And I can taste banana a mile off no matter how many berries etc. they throw in.

Their kiwi and apple one is marketed as being banana free and is really nice :smile: I can't stand bananas in smoothies either so this is basically the only one I buy now.
Reply 2175
We got together after we were college married and sort of conveniently left the facebook status in place instead of introducing 'in a relationship'. My Mum did ask, but luckily she knew that I wouldn't do something like that to her.

However I timed it badly in terms of the wider family, because it was about the same time that my Mother's twin sister's daughter, who had moved to America at 18 (so basically my parallel cousin) made a flash decision to marry her boyfriend in order to enable him to stay in the US rather than be sent back to SA. However her method of communicating her marriage to the family was by taking photos of their las vegas style impromptu wedding with 5 people or whatever. The photos involved all the guests holding up sheets with the names of family members and friends written on them, wearing big smiles. She tagged everyone on this picture and added the caption 'See? You were all here too!' :toofunny:

Aww that's so cute :biggrin:
:^_^:

My parents freak out when I jokingly refer to my boyfriend as "my other half" so if my mum saw "Married" on facebook, she would probably pass out.
and oh dear about your cousin - talk about bad timing!

But that's so cute about yourself and your boyfriend :biggrin:

My boyfriend and myself will be trying long distance.
He'll be at Durham in October... ASD[AHSFLQGHFLJB. Oh my, I dont know if I should... GAH.
Reply 2176
Original post by kpatb
He'll be at Durham in October... ASD[AHSFLQGHFLJB. Oh my, I dont know if I should... GAH.

I spent the first year at Cam doing long-distance. Let me know if you want to rant/moan/rage!
Original post by kpatb

It's easily doable, although it can get expensive with trains. :smile: Aberdeen-Cambridge here, and we usually manage to see each other every couple weeks. We've always been LD, though. I imagine it's harder making the switch.
Original post by kpatb
My parents freak out when I jokingly refer to my boyfriend as "my other half" so if my mum saw "Married" on facebook, she would probably pass out.

When I told my parents I was engaged (college engaged) my Dad said "What?". My mother, on the other hand said "Good, it's about time." She was being serious ... in fact, she was disappointed to find out I wasn't actually engaged to anyone.
:lol:
Original post by scarlet ibis
Their kiwi and apple one is marketed as being banana free and is really nice :smile: I can't stand bananas in smoothies either so this is basically the only one I buy now.

Ooh! Thanks for the heads up :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
I should probably know this, but why can't you have red wine after an intense workout?

Apart from the fact that alcohol affects you more strongly after exercise, the real problem is that it actually severely reduces the efficiency of your work out. You don't get the same amount of benefit out of it. While alcohol is in your system, the body has to stop non urgent functions in order to deal with what it classes as a toxin. This means less time focused on rebuilding all the tiny torn muscle fibres, which means you build less muscle mass as a result of the work out. It also means that you're stiffer the next day because not as much repair has taken place. And it means that it has less of a positive long term affect in other areas like metabolism regulation (but I forget the technicalities of this). The initial few hours after exercising are the most crucial, so its really important to give the body the nutrition (especially protein and some glucose) within the first hour afterwards, and to encourage not retard its response to the exercise.

So its not that there's a huge harm, its just that some of your efforts are wasted if you drink too soon after. So basically I workout in the morning if I know that I'm going to drink anything in the evenings. Last night we gymned at 9...

Original post by kpatb
Aww that's so cute :biggrin:
:^_^:

But that's so cute about yourself and your boyfriend :biggrin:

I thought you were a guy :o:
I'm coming to the end of two years apart from my partner. Its definitely doable, however I think one thing essential to this working is commitment and closure. If the future is open ended I think it makes people less able to deal with making a short term sacrifice for the good of the long term. I think distance can also hurt relationships if you have any doubts about being together with that person in the future. But as long as you are both committed, then its not too bad. There are days/weeks where you really feel it, but most of the time life is so busy you don't feel it, and you can keep intimate through phone/skype/IM. Also the really long holidays at Cambridge mean you can see a lot of eachother.

Latest

Trending

Trending