The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

*shrugs*. It more-or-less repeats her views from the e-mail.

(Also, aww, she still thinks a law degree is for doing justice in the world. I think every law student has that before they start. When she's doing contract, equity and land, and is bogged down in the wonderful private and commercial law issues which these subjects favour, I think she might understand the cynicism of law students ^_^)
Reply 5881
Original post by Zoedotdot

Also, fun fact - NASA made their astronauts' space suits silver because that's the colour astronauts always wore in sci fi films. The Soviets went for a highly offensive orange instead - standard.

Some NASA suits are orange now, like this one. Also, most of the Russian suits I've seen pictures of are white, though they may have orange bits.

In general, the ones that are actually designed for spacewalking are white regardless of where they came from. I'd actually think that the Americans would be more likely to use orange than the Russians- orange is the international colour for "fish this out of the sea please" (lifeboats are always orange), and the American missions used to land at sea but the Russians didn't.

(I used to want to be an astronaut when I grew up)
I'm trying to work out if the wireless thingy in my laptop is getting dodgy, or whether the UL is dodgy, or whether eduroam is dodgy.
It took me several tries to successfully connect to eduroam at Trinity Hall. Then after getting to the UL it took me 20mins to get it to connect again! Has anybody else had any issues in the UL?

In brighter news, I now have a cool alumni UL card with a grotesque photo of myself on it :awesome:
Original post by Melz0r
I'll investigate the current wiki situation.

Great, thanks! :smile:

And its immensely irritating that people are too lazy to read resources right in front of their noses that others have carefully compiled - or to use search - but I'll confess that when I wanted some quick info about netbooks the other day, I didn't first look for a sticky. I started a thread :o:
Original post by lp386
The stages of Luke's grief at reading yet another one of these $%£$"£ing pieces:
1) Exasperated noises
2) Ranting at flatmates
3) Looking up admissions statistics and then gloating
4) Angrily pitching a comment piece to Varsity.

Hopefully acceptance will come soon, but until then I'll stay seething. She's actively worsening the problem that she's complaining about.

:rofl:
Original post by gethsemane342
(Also, aww, she still thinks a law degree is for doing justice in the world. I think every law student has that before they start. When she's doing contract, equity and land, and is bogged down in the wonderful private and commercial law issues which these subjects favour, I think she might understand the cynicism of law students ^_^)

Quite.
Original post by AlexG55

I was about to ask :p:
I don't understand this paragraph:

To me, withdrawing my application to an institution that is a symbol of unfairness in both our education and the legal system (which is so dominated by Oxbridge graduates) makes perfect sense, and I am reluctant to be part of a system so heavily dominated by such a narrow group of self-selecting elites. It seems tragic that people often seem to believe that individuals should compromise their beliefs in favour of improving their ambiguous "future prospects".

What evidence does she have that Oxbridge is inherently unfair? And every university is "self-selecting". I also don't understand her opinion of interviews.

Ultimately we are discussing the views of someone who doesn't know anything about anything though. And it's not new, I remember when I was applying someone did something similar which as I recall was a lot funnier and was just done as a joke, I think post-rejection anyway.
Reply 5885
Original post by AlexG55

I still want to:p:
Reply 5886
Original post by AlexG55
Some NASA suits are orange now, like this one. Also, most of the Russian suits I've seen pictures of are white, though they may have orange bits.

In general, the ones that are actually designed for spacewalking are white regardless of where they came from. I'd actually think that the Americans would be more likely to use orange than the Russians- orange is the international colour for "fish this out of the sea please" (lifeboats are always orange), and the American missions used to land at sea but the Russians didn't.

I meant the original suits :smile: The first NASA ones were silver, and Yuri Gagarin's was an eye-searing orange. They didn't land in the sea but sometimes they landed in the snow (well, according to an exhibit at the space museum in Moscow, but accuracy may not be their strong point), and I'd imagine orange is pretty useful there as well :p:

I wanted to be an astronaut too :frown: I still find it a bit horrible contemplating that I might never actually get to go into space in my lifetime.
Original post by Slumpy

PRSOM
Reply 5888
Lol @ Guardian readers lapping up the anti-Oxbridge vitriol. We must be one of the few things to be hated by the readerships of both the Guardian and the Daily Mail...
Original post by Melz0r
Lol @ Guardian readers lapping up the anti-Oxbridge vitriol. We must be one of the few things to be hated by the readerships of both the Guardian and the Daily Mail...

PRSOM.

How sweet.

S'ok, she won't get anywhere *near* a commercial law firm with a bunch of indiscreet and ill-advised rambling all over the internet. TBH, if she takes as shoddy and ill-informed approach to case law as she took to the statistics on admissions she'll bomb out halfway through her first term.

(I'm deeply offended you'd suggest I'm cynical. I'll be bringing an action for defamation. You can prevent costly and time-consuming litigation by settling now.)

I positively cringed when she referred to barristers wearing a wig and cloak...
Original post by jjarvis
How sweet.

S'ok, she won't get anywhere *near* a commercial law firm with a bunch of indiscreet and ill-advised rambling all over the internet. TBH, if she takes as shoddy and ill-informed approach to case law as she took to the statistics on admissions she'll bomb out halfway through her first term.

(I'm deeply offended you'd suggest I'm cynical. I'll be bringing an action for defamation. You can prevent costly and time-consuming litigation by settling now.)

Can I really defame you if the statement applies to me as well?

(I refuse to settle. I am not in the wrong. Bring it on, jjarvis, me and my lawyers will see you in Court)
Original post by alex_hk90
Ah I see it now: not sure how I missed both the post and the responses - clearly I need more sleep as well!

I would also take science. Not sure why it just instinctively seems so much more important and beneficial to society as a whole.

That doesn't sound like a valid argument to me, not unless we have some information about who is saving this. If it's a thriving alien culture technologically far superior to us, there is no need for them to save our science: they either know it already, or can easily discover it themselves. And that's the thing about discovery: it's there if you would just look for it.

If, on the other hand, we're talking about the preservation of knowledge in the face of potentially apocalyptic events, then by all means save science for the sake of the survivors.
Reply 5894
Original post by Tortious
I positively cringed when she referred to barristers wearing a wig and cloak...

I had a mental image of a barrister dressed like Superman but with a wig when I read that :giggle:
Original post by Zoedotdot
I had a mental image of a barrister dressed like Superman but with a wig when I read that :giggle:

I was about to Photoshop something like that together, but I came across an even stranger photo in my quest for the perfect picture of a barrister's wig:

Spoiler

:lolwut:

Story (with more photos, including of the barrister) here.
Can I really defame you if the statement applies to me as well?

(I refuse to settle. I am not in the wrong. Bring it on, jjarvis, me and my lawyers will see you in Court)

Law chat, nothing to see here...

Spoiler

Original post by jjarvis
Law chat, nothing to see here...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anyway, it's fun watching the sparks fly over this rejection letter...
Original post by AlexG55

Original post by Slumpy

:ditto:

I got excited when I saw the ESA stand at the careers fair... then :frown: when I realised they didn't want interns.

Latest

Trending

Trending