The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scarlet ibis
Another body in the Cam today. This is getting a bit surreal.

Seriously?! I thought Cambridge was supposed to be a safe city - with all these bodies being dumped and the sex offender guy, I'm not so sure.
Reply 6561
Original post by Zoedotdot
How about getting two people to abduct you, a la my date? :p:
That's fine.

It was unusual, which is a bonus. It wasn't a verdict on the date, so it wasn't a dishonest way of getting out of an awkward situation. And you weren't looking for a relationship, so it's not as much of an issue that he left (if you had been looking for a relationship, I would consider it completely unacceptable for him to plan to leave part way through).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Seriously?! I thought Cambridge was supposed to be a safe city - with all these bodies being dumped and the sex offender guy, I'm not so sure.

To be fair, I think it's less to do with how safe Cambridge is and more a result of the cold weather. If you fall in to water at or just above 0 degrees, then you have literally minutes to get out before you die :frown: The one last week was pronounced by the coroner as cause of death: drowning. I expect something similar happened today, sadly.
Original post by scarlet ibis
To be fair, I think it's less to do with how safe Cambridge is and more a result of the cold weather. If you fall in to water at or just above 0 degrees, then you have literally minutes to get out before you die :frown: The one last week was pronounced by the coroner as cause of death: drowning. I expect something similar happened today, sadly.

Ah, that makes more sense... I think I've been watching too much Dexter :tongue:
Related reading: link. Most relevant are "The Four Stages of Cold-Water Immersion" (p13 of the PDF) and "It Doesn't Look Like They're Drowning", but most of the articles are an interesting read if you've time to kill.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6565
Next time I have a craving for cookie dough, I need to remember to stop eating before I feel sick :puke:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6566
Original post by alex_hk90

And unfortunately this. I've now made 10 job applications, so far fruitless. :sigh:

*sympathy*
Keep at it, I hope you find something sooner rather than later :smile: I got my first call back today, exciting times...
Original post by smilepea
It is significantly better than it was in our first year, you no longer stick to the floor. I actually really like Sidney bar.

I see. IIRC it was more that the atmosphere was that of a crappy American frat house, not that I have the slightest idea what that would actually be like, but that was the impression it gave me. :dontknow:

Original post by Leipzig
*sympathy*
Keep at it, I hope you find something sooner rather than later :smile: I got my first call back today, exciting times...

Thanks. :smile: And good luck to you too. :yep:
Original post by harr
If a date is going badly, I think you should say "this isn't working" and leave. Getting someone to come to rescue you is just insulting. Same thing for fake phonecalls/"I don't feel well"/etc.

Not in Cambridge, not on a blind date, but something similar happened to me today. I didn't ask for it. I was in the kitchen, drinking tea with some neighbours from upstairs. Then another friend of mine strides in, drags me out of the room, and excuses me saying "We were meant to meet up half an hour ago, so I'm taking him away now! Bye!"

My only excuse is that I wasn't expecting "hey come and drink tea with us" to last four hours.
Original post by gethsemane342
I see you're having a law swap with our freshers in Christ's tonight. I would say enjoy but it *is* Christ's food... :wink:

Oh. God.

Christ's formal is... I can't even find an appropriate word to describe how bad it is.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Oh. God.

Christ's formal is... I can't even find an appropriate word to describe how bad it is.

Ha ha ha! I warned you! Have to admit, the menu for last night did look pretty bad. Did you at least have fun mingling with the Christ's freshers?
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Oh. God.

I've been a couple of times and never found it too bad. :dontknow: Then again I never found Caius that bad either so maybe I'm just not fussy when it comes to Formals. :h:
Original post by Canned Door
Not in Cambridge, not on a blind date, but something similar happened to me today. I didn't ask for it. I was in the kitchen, drinking tea with some neighbours from upstairs. Then another friend of mine strides in, drags me out of the room, and excuses me saying "We were meant to meet up half an hour ago, so I'm taking him away now! Bye!"

My only excuse is that I wasn't expecting "hey come and drink tea with us" to last four hours.

Ahhh I am so bad at ending conversations, especially if they are good ones.
I've been a couple of times and never found it too bad. :dontknow: Then again I never found Caius that bad either so maybe I'm just not fussy when it comes to Formals. :h:

I've never been to Christs, but I agree, Caius isn't that bad. It might help that the only times I've been were when it was toffee dime bar pie or chocolate brownies... :biggrin:
Original post by Athena

The MCR formal I went to was quite nice :smile: Although they had no conception of "normal no fish" as a menu option some of us had entered...

To be fair I've never seen a "normal no fish" option, if not I probably would choose it! :awesome:
Reply 6575
To be fair I've never seen a "normal no fish" option, if not I probably would choose it! :awesome:

They used to have it at Emma but then they got rid of it, such a sad day :frown: It's okay now if I sit with my pescatarian friend, because they don't have an option for that either - if the main is fish then I can give mine to him and have the veggie option. They never put the menus up beforehand so it's always pot luck as to what you get

I don't tend to get on well with formal food anyway. Being fussy means that only having one option rarely works well for me. I don't like risotto, soup, overcooked vegetables, sweet potato, fish or chicken breast, which cuts out basically all of Emma's staple formal foods. I've also gone off pannacotta, after having it served to me pretty much every formal this year. It just means I've gotten into the habit of pre-eating before formals :p:
Tbh I'm astonished that any caterers would be willing to make allowances for fussiness. Proper allergies, yes. Pickiness, no.
Reply 6577
Original post by Craghyrax
Tbh I'm astonished that any caterers would be willing to make allowances for fussiness. Proper allergies, yes. Pickiness, no.

We are paying for the meal though... If I was in a restaurant I just wouldn't order fish, but paying £7-10 for a meal that isn't going to be to my taste (and that I therefore won't eat) when they don't put menus up so I can't decide whether to go or not based on the food is a bit much. So I think there should be an allowance made.

Also, how is choosing not to eat fish different to vegetarianism or pescatarianism? I know some people who just don't like meat and are therefore vegetarian, but that is accepted as a valid form of pickiness when choosing not to eat fish isn't.
Original post by Zoedotdot
We are paying for the meal though... If I was in a restaurant I just wouldn't order fish, but paying £7-10 for a meal that isn't going to be to my taste (and that I therefore won't eat) when they don't put menus up so I can't decide whether to go or not based on the food is a bit much. So I think there should be an allowance made.

That's quite a lot for formal. Peterhouse was £5.20 when I was a student. They weren't great but they were much better than Caius or Christ's by the sound of it. And I've certainly had better formals at Peterhouse than the two formals I tried at Pembroke which was meant to be one of the best...
Anyway I don't think they could have kept that price if they catered to everyone's whim. I think there's argument for having a set menu with two options in some circumstances, but that applies more to colleges who don't have very regular formals. With Peterhouse we had formal every night, and sometimes there were loads of people and sometimes next to none. I think it would be quite unreasonable to have to cook entire different meals for 10 formal guests. So much would go to waste!

Also, how is choosing not to eat fish different to vegetarianism or pescatarianism? I know some people who just don't like meat and are therefore vegetarian, but that is accepted as a valid form of pickiness when choosing not to eat fish isn't.

I'm not really sure that it is. I think its those kinds of vegetarians that give vegetarianism a bad name, and lots of vegetarians get really annoyed at them for it.
I think its just a cultural thing that bugs me a lot. In South Africa its considered shockingly bad manners to refuse food just because you're fussy. We were brought up with the rule of eating everything on the plate if you were being hosted. Formals are a little bit more like restaurants, obviously. But I'm talking more generally about how so many English people seem to get away with going to events and putting the hosts to a huge amount of inconvenience beforehand, and awkwardness on the day, by turning their noses up at completely innocuous food. I'm generally of the view that if its not going to make you physically unwell then if you don't like it you should quietly not eat it, and just fill your stomach after the event or before with what you like. And it gives people with real allergies a tough time and puts them in danger because nobody takes it seriously now!
Reply 6579
Original post by Craghyrax

I sorta agree with this, but also think it's not a huge effort to have the menu ahead of time, so people can decide not to go or w/e if they don't like the look of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending