The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoedotdot
GO GO GO! :biggrin:

I'm starting all of the work I was meant to do today right now, as my family were here today and convinced me to go and see Star Wars with them and then Nando's, and then I'd just sat down to work when my boyfriend showed up with a jigsaw and roses (cheesy, but I don't care) and then he didn't leave, so it's 11 and I am screwed as I'm still catching up from last week :p: I'm getting that whole guilt over not deserving free time as well :frown:

Awww. :love: As Alex says, have a break! :yep:

Original post by Melz0r
Just put up six pictures of the Queen and Prince Philip on the walls of my flat. Standard.

Have you got any "Wills and Kate" merchandise to complement them?
Reply 6761
Original post by alex_hk90
Of course, i.e. "you and I are strongly cointegrated - whenever a gap opens up between us, forces act to bring us back together". :redface: :getmecoat:

Original post by smilepea
Yes yes it does.

Ah, economist dirty talk is the best. "Hey baby, wanna maximise my utility? I'm unconstrained." Actually, the #fedvalentines that were going round on Twitter were quite impressive...

Also, Waterstones Oxford Street's Twitter account was absolutely killing it today: https://twitter.com/#!/wstonesoxfordst
"Some of you are no doubt thinking "if I bought them a book [for Valentine's Day] they'll leave me". Get out. Get out now, before it's too late. For God's sake, run."

EDIT: Just tested that out on my flatmates. This may be why I'm single.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just tried to read up on Baudrillard and simulacra. Head. Hurts. I've been given a list of all sorts of different theorists and approaches I might like to use for my dissertation, so I'm trying to "check them all out". Ecocriticism fascinating, post-modernism less so.

Original post by Melz0r
Just put up six pictures of the Queen and Prince Philip on the walls of my flat. Standard.

PRSOM.
Reply 6763
Original post by lp386
Ah, economist dirty talk is the best. "Hey baby, wanna maximise my utility? I'm unconstrained." Actually, the #fedvalentines that were going round on Twitter were quite impressive...

Also, Waterstones Oxford Street's Twitter account was absolutely killing it today: https://twitter.com/#!/wstonesoxfordst
"Some of you are no doubt thinking "if I bought them a book [for Valentine's Day] they'll leave me". Get out. Get out now, before it's too late. For God's sake, run."

EDIT: Just tested that out on my flatmates. This may be why I'm single.

I'd seen some of the Waterstone's ones, very very good tweets today. On a related not there's a quote been going around (and I forget who it's attributed to) that I LOVE: "If you go home with someone and the don't have books, don't **** them."
Original post by smilepea
I'd seen some of the Waterstone's ones, very very good tweets today. On a related not there's a quote been going around (and I forget who it's attributed to) that I LOVE: "If you go home with someone and the don't have books, don't **** them."

John Waters. :smile:
GO GO GO! :biggrin:

I'm starting all of the work I was meant to do today right now, as my family were here today and convinced me to go and see Star Wars with them and then Nando's, and then I'd just sat down to work when my boyfriend showed up with a jigsaw and roses (cheesy, but I don't care) and then he didn't leave, so it's 11 and I am screwed as I'm still catching up from last week :p: I'm getting that whole guilt over not deserving free time as well :frown:

You do deserve free time :smile: Don't stay up too late.

I am beginning to realise the scale of the task ahead of me. This could be interesting...
Reply 6766

Cool :smile: I was going to google but I'm too lazy. LOL.
Reply 6767
Original post by ukebert
You do deserve free time :smile: Don't stay up too late.

I am beginning to realise the scale of the task ahead of me. This could be interesting...

Free time is sort of a myth, as I just used it to catch up on all the modding I've been neglecting :p: But I'm going to bed now! Hope you get it all done in time - you seem to be pretty good at pulling it out of the bag with these things :smile:
Free time is sort of a myth, as I just used it to catch up on all the modding I've been neglecting :p: But I'm going to bed now! Hope you get it all done in time - you seem to be pretty good at pulling it out of the bag with these things :smile:

Advantage of Cambridge - teaches you to pull something together at short notice for a deadline.

Disadvantage - now impossible to do any work more than 2 days before a deadline.
Reply 6769
Original post by ukebert
Advantage of Cambridge - teaches you to pull something together at short notice for a deadline.

Disadvantage - now impossible to do any work more than 2 days before a deadline.

Totally agreed. I've been trying to snap myself out of that mindset, but I appear to have just got quicker at writing rather than better at planning :p:
Original post by ukebert

Totally agreed. I've been trying to snap myself out of that mindset, but I appear to have just got quicker at writing rather than better at planning

I so know what you mean...I handed an essay in on time last week, for about the second time this year, and somehow felt rather proud of myself...

And I am discovering new ways of procrastinating from writing my dissertation (although given that I had a huge dissertation-related panic attack this morning, that might not be such a bad thing...)
SO BORED. About 10% of the way through the first 20%.
Reply 6772
Just bought a book off Amazon Marketplace, 0.92 + 2.50 shipping from the US. Let's see whether it ever makes its way over here :biggrin:

Original post by Canned Door
Just tried to read up on Baudrillard and simulacra. Head. Hurts.

Bought Baudrillard's "Simulacra and Simulation" two years ago since I wanted to broaden my horizons beyond my subject (I'm doing maths). Read a few random pages. Didn't have the slightest idea what he was talking about. Now sits on my bookshelf at home making me look clever. Fail :colondollar: . In hindsight, probably the equivalent of a social scientiest picking up one of my books on Algebraic Number Theory.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think I've bitten off more than I can chew here :frown:
I'm not going to make it before my project meeting. ****. I'll have to cancel it, my supervisor is not going to be happy.
Might make the deadline...
Done. In 11.5 hours I've written 6 typed pages and have produced 17 pages of drawings.

I am so tired.
Original post by ukebert
Done. In 11.5 hours I've written 6 typed pages and have produced 17 pages of drawings.

I am so tired.

Great effort; well done! :smile:

Ugh I have that feeling. Yesterday my fiance insisted on taking the day off and doing stuff together. We had a lovely day, but I can't pretend that I deserved the time off because I was in York all weekend visiting a friend and attending a lefty Christian conference. Now I'm seriously in hot water with my work! Particularly as my Father is coming to stay on Friday :facepalm:
Original post by Canned Door
Just tried to read up on Baudrillard and simulacra. Head. Hurts. I've been given a list of all sorts of different theorists and approaches I might like to use for my dissertation, so I'm trying to "check them all out". Ecocriticism fascinating, post-modernism less so.

Yeehhh... start with weeding out all the postmodernists and finding some decent theory :wink:
Original post by Y__
The 'Sainsbury's Italian' brand pizzas are actually rather good, no? I get them whenever they're 2 for 1. Although I usually just get the Margherita and buy some extra ham or pepperoni sausage to put on top as the meat looks a little questionable sometimes.
I'm not a big fan of Domino's. Great if you it's late and you can't find anything else, otherwise a little overpriced and rather average quality.

Dominos is such a rip off! I had a pizza craving last week for the first time in about 2 years and when I saw the prices I completely lost my appetite. Plus their pizza is seriously sub par. I don't know why its impossible to find good takeaway pizza in England. In South Africa its awesome. The only thing that comes even close to SA pizza is some of the toppings you get in Pizza Express, but they're still not the same :sad:
Original post by visesh
I love that I'm still getting rep (both positive and negative) for this post from many years ago.

Yeh, take a look at the first post of the 'Are My Grades Good Enough' sticky in the main forum :dry: That thread is a perennial source of rep; mostly negative.
Original post by scarlet ibis
I know, I know! I think it might just have to be me - trying to plan in advance around James' work is a nightmare, plus he wants to learn to drive so that is taking priority of his free time.

Surely if James is too busy there's nothing stopping you from coming if you have the time? :smile: From our side three is definitely better than two in games :lol: And from your side you shell out for one train fare instead of two :p:
Reply 6779
No-one ever pays full price for Domino's - they scatter vouchers and coupons about like Vermin Supreme scatters glitter over presidential candidates.

Latest