The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7480
Whyyyyy did I agree to a week 11 supervision?! Now having an essay crisis and it's not even term. So depressing. I've been doing language work for a week and am bored stiff.
I am currently trying to force my way through my last ever piece of module coursework. Extremely dull.
Original post by ukebert
I am currently trying to force my way through my last ever piece of module coursework. Extremely dull.

:biggrin:

Good luck!
Reply 7483
Original post by alex_hk90
Happy Birthday smilepea! :biggrin:

PS: If your Facebook is accurate anyway. And if so you're a day older than me. :h:

Happy birthday!!!
Reply 7484
Original post by Zoedotdot
Whyyyyy did I agree to a week 11 supervision?! Now having an essay crisis and it's not even term. So depressing. I've been doing language work for a week and am bored stiff.

Re: language work, chance would be a fine thing for me. Two people, on completely separate occasions, took one look at me today and started talking in English. Wtf?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Leipzig
Re: language work, chance would be a fine thing for me. Two people, on completely separate occasions, took one look at me today and started talking in English. Wtf?!

If it makes you feel better, when I was in Russia with Girl Guiding a few years back, I was very clearly with a group of English-speaking people. We stopped at a stall in Moscow for a while. I went up to the stallowner and she immediately spoke to me in Russian while she'd used English or signs for the others. My Russian was better then than it is now so it wasn't a huge problem but I have no idea whatsoever why she decided I'd understand her.

(On the other hand, someone phoned today to speak to my mum, and they spoke in Russian. I stuttered an explanation that my mum wasn't there. At which point the lady on the other end said, "It's OK, I'm fluent in English")
Original post by Leipzig

Do you look particularly Anglo-Saxon? If it makes you feel better I tried to use Chinese in a Subway (the sandwich shop) today here in Shanghai and despite looking quite Chinese the shop assistant started talking to me in English - I refused to back down though and kept on using Mandarin. :tongue:
Do you look particularly Anglo-Saxon? If it makes you feel better I tried to use Chinese in a Subway (the sandwich shop) today here in Shanghai and despite looking quite Chinese the shop assistant started talking to me in English - I refused to back down though and kept on using Mandarin. :tongue:

Just been to America to visit grad schools there. All the other prospective students from China and some of the professors as well thought I couldn't speak Chinese until I started speaking it one day. :colone: Then they just spoke to me in Chinese constantly.
Its so annoying when that happens. My Afrikaans competence was set back years by the fact that Afrikaaners would always switch to English whenever I tried speaking Afrikaans. The tendency for them to roll on the floor laughing at my 'British' accent, didn't help either :colonhash:
Reply 7489
Well, my Dad is German so I figure I've got enough credentials on that front... I admit I was the only person on the street in shorts (after nearly getting heat exhaustion on a run earlier). But I thought my totally rad "Uni Leipzig" tote would compensate. nm :/
Original post by Leipzig
Well, my Dad is German so I figure I've got enough credentials on that front... I admit I was the only person on the street in shorts (after nearly getting heat exhaustion on a run earlier). But I thought my totally rad "Uni Leipzig" tote would compensate. nm :/

Another reason to live in Germany. Sounds like they're a lot more sensible than the Brits :dry:
Original post by Craghyrax
Another reason to live in Germany. Sounds like they're a lot more sensible than the Brits :dry:

Nah, us British are just more hardcore. :tongue:

You were in Shanghai and went to Subway of all places? So much better food lying around - even the local McDonalds is better by a stretch.

Also, I've been told it's the accent. Not being in the motherland for an extended time gives you a 'guai lou' accent apparently.
Nah, us British are just more hardcore. :tongue:

I don't believe a word of it :p: Its colder in Germany, so they're likely to be more hard core, not less. Furthermore, between you and me I'm the one who loves cold, you're the one who loves heat. I'm the one with the British DNA.. and before today it was definitely not warm enough for summer dresses and shorts :p: (Not in Norwich anyway, as the wind chill was several degrees colder) People were just desperate to show off!
Reply 7494
I don't believe a word of it :p: Its colder in Germany, so they're likely to be more hard core, not less. Furthermore, between you and me I'm the one who loves cold, you're the one who loves heat. I'm the one with the British DNA.. and before today it was definitely not warm enough for summer dresses and shorts :p: (Not in Norwich anyway, as the wind chill was several degrees colder) People were just desperate to show off!

It's been warm enough for shorts for the last 5 years or so in the UK:p:(before that I had to wear trousers in school...)

I can't describe how much I'm suffering from wearing a suit in this weather¬¬
Reply 7495
Original post by Slumpy
It's been warm enough for shorts for the last 5 years or so in the UK:p:(before that I had to wear trousers in school...)

Had to? Or wanted to? We're on to you, Slumpy.

Also, how is the job?!
Original post by Slumpy

You want my pity when men were nice and comfy in suits and black tie, and girls had to where skimpy sleeveless jobs at formal/May Balls etc for the 9 coldest months of the year?
Ha!
Reply 7497
Original post by Gesar
Had to? Or wanted to? We're on to you, Slumpy.

Also, how is the job?!

Pretty good so far! Just had to buy learning materials though, and they're well expensive! Glad I get them refunded for sure!

You want my pity when men were nice and comfy in suits and black tie, and girls had to where skimpy sleeveless jobs at formal/May Balls etc for the 9 coldest months of the year?
Ha!

It was like 23 degrees here! I think about 30 odd is my vomit threshold when I'm in t-shirt and shorts outside!:p:
(Also, I've never really been comfy in black tie or a suit. It's so restrictive! And trousers come with a host of problems!)
Edit-wait, may balls in the coldest months? June is warm!
Original post by SunderX
You were in Shanghai and went to Subway of all places? So much better food lying around - even the local McDonalds is better by a stretch.

Strangely Subway seems to be one of the cheaper places on Nanjing Dong Lu. A lot of the Chinese restaurants are quite expensive...

Original post by SunderX
Also, I've been told it's the accent. Not being in the motherland for an extended time gives you a 'guai lou' accent apparently.

Could be, but probably the fact that I only started learning last term so my Mandarin isn't great to say the least. If I have any accent it should be a northern / Beijing one as that's where I learnt.

It's been nice and warm here in the last few days, at 25 degrees or so. But I've had to go in to work in a suit. :sigh:
Original post by Slumpy

Edit-wait, may balls in the coldest months? June is warm!

Not overnight its not :hmmm: Don't you remember two years ago when it dropped to freezing in May???

Latest

Trending

Trending