The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8040
Original post by visesh
hahhhahahahahahaha 'just the tip'
The innuendos always get you in the end.
Original post by Sockpirate
Oh right, so there is somewhere we can leave them then? Good good :smile: very excited I must say!

Yeah we came in the back of Emma and there was a hall were we left all of our stuff at. The half-on/half-off deal is really good, and Emma was really good last year. I'm paying to go this year
Reply 8042
I totally got a raise :pierre:
I struggle a bit with the concept that if a ball is good one year, its going to be good the next. With the exception of generously subsidised balls like Johns and Trinity, how can you assume any continuity? Nobody is likely to want to do May ball committee twice, and how good the ball will be depends on the skill of the team at fund raising, creativity and logistics.
Original post by Craghyrax
I struggle a bit with the concept that if a ball is good one year, its going to be good the next. With the exception of generously subsidised balls like Johns and Trinity, how can you assume any continuity? Nobody is likely to want to do May ball committee twice, and how good the ball will be depends on the skill of the team at fund raising, creativity and logistics.

The committees write handover notes for the following years committee. It means there is some form of continuity as the handover notes should mention how they did things etc.
With the exception of generously subsidised balls like Johns and Trinity, how can you assume any continuity?

My understanding is that John's isn't subsidised by college, although last year was an exception and maybe you mean by private sponsorship?

Edit: Having thought about it, maybe you would also include things like use of the grounds and so on as subsidy. But I'm pretty sure they don't hand over any cashola.
(edited 12 years ago)
No I just assumed because its one of the famous ones.
If notes were a guarantor of quality, then all colleges that had had good balls would continue to do so, and in practice they are variable. There must be variation in which sponsorship teams are able to attract each year, and the competence and talent of individuals.
Original post by It could be lupus
The committees write handover notes for the following years committee. It means there is some form of continuity as the handover notes should mention how they did things etc.

Hence why some committees are always cheap bastards...
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=RichendaAmyDavid
Myself and scarlet ibis and my other half are doing the Cambridge Oxfam walk on the 20th of May :smile: We're planning on doing 26 miles :eek: If anybody feels like sponsoring us (even with just a £1 or something) the link is above.
Also feel free to join us!
(Owen will your exams be done then?
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=RichendaAmyDavid
Myself and scarlet ibis and my other half are doing the Cambridge Oxfam walk on the 20th of May :smile: We're planning on doing 26 miles :eek: If anybody feels like sponsoring us (even with just a £1 or something) the link is above.
(Owen will your exams be done then?

Yes... but by then I will be massively behind on my project with the deadline drawing closer (playing in the ADC mainshow the week before, which will limit my working time), so I should probably not :frown:
Original post by ukebert
Yes... but by then I will be massively behind on my project with the deadline drawing closer (playing in the ADC mainshow the week before, which will limit my working time), so I should probably not :frown:

:flutter:

If you change your mind you can join us on the day :yep: Free transport from the train station.
Noted :p:
:flutter:

If you change your mind you can join us on the day :yep: Free transport from the train station.

Trying to think who else could join us. Epitome will still be at school. FTB has too much work, as he needs at least 1 weekend day free and he's coxing the other one.

26 miles? You might as well go the extra few hundred yards and go for a marathon! :yep: What's the 'Oxfam walk' exactly? Is it general fundraising for Oxfam or is there a specific cause?
Original post by alex_hk90
26 miles? You might as well go the extra few hundred yards and go for a marathon! :yep: What's the 'Oxfam walk' exactly? Is it general fundraising for Oxfam or is there a specific cause?

It's just an annual walk in aid of Oxfam :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90

I think that the Cambridge Oxfam walk is a few decades old now. They've been doing it each year in May. I think its 'The Oxfam Walk' because its the one official Oxfam walk as opposed to spontaneous walks different people do to raise money more casually.

Ah yes... here's the history:

Spoiler

I think that the Cambridge Oxfam walk is a few decades old now. They've been doing it each year in May. I think its 'The Oxfam Walk' because its the one official Oxfam walk as opposed to spontaneous walks different people do to raise money more casually.

Ah yes... here's the history:

Spoiler

Do you know when/if they release the map of the 26 mile route? I'm keen to know where we are going!
Original post by scarlet ibis
Do you know when/if they release the map of the 26 mile route? I'm keen to know where we are going!

I can send an email to the event organiser if you'd like? The registration email has an address and they say they'll be sending out information on the 1st of May.
I can send an email to the event organiser if you'd like? The registration email has an address and they say they'll be sending out information on the 1st of May.

Oh, there's no hurry, I'm just curious. I assume you have registered us then! Have you paid for us yet? I can give you the money when I see you next weekend if so.
Original post by scarlet ibis
Oh, there's no hurry, I'm just curious. I assume you have registered us then! Have you paid for us yet? I can give you the money when I see you next weekend if so.

You have to register as an individual :smile: Even people in groups do. Unfortunately a 'group' has to be at least 4 so we don't count yet. Although there isn't necessarily any practical difference. I think there is a prize for the individual who raises the most and the group that raises the most, but that's it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending