The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chess Piece Face
And a happy birthday from me too!

Thank you too :p:
Reply 8101
Original post by Tortious
It's not that far off-topic, is it? :puppyeyes: I was only asking in passing... :sad:

As Craggy said, it's not it being off-topic! It's just that for many people talking or hearing talk of work in exam term is very stressful and we had a big hoohah on the thread when I was in my first year where a lot of people (including - or perhaps especially - me) got very upset because there was a sort of comparison of working hours going on, which is where the exam thread came from. So you're not technically breaking a rule, it's more of a request to avoid some other people having a complete meltdown/staying up all night worrying or whatever. While that does seem pretty ridiculous considering your comment, I am one of the people who does these things and am currently on a self imposed library ban so that I don't sit and watch other people working and stressing and end up drawn into the collective stresspot, with the exception of the emptier stacks of the UL (one of which I fell asleep in on Friday :o:) and will only be checking the exam thread when I'm not feeling susceptible to exam panic, so it would be nice if everybody could help me and other stressed out, panic-prone people to keep calm without us having to unsubscribe from CamChat :smile:

This isn't aimed at you entirely, it's just that your comment provided a means for a full explanation for the purpose of the exam thread, as almost all the people who were present for its inception are now old and decrepit and may soon retire from the land of TSR....

No offence intended to the old and decrepit of course. I'm feeling age obsessed because I'm closer to my 23rd birthday than my 22nd and I didn't particularly enjoy being 13 so it obviously stands to reason that 23 isn't going to be great either as it has a 3 in it, and I don't really like how the number three looks.
Original post by Zoedotdot

No offence intended to the old and decrepit of course. I'm feeling age obsessed because I'm closer to my 23rd birthday than my 22nd and I didn't particularly enjoy being 13 so it obviously stands to reason that 23 isn't going to be great either as it has a 3 in it, and I don't really like how the number three looks.

If it helps, so far, being 23 is pretty OK :p:
23 was one of my best years :yep:

Now that I'm old and doddering onto 30...
:shakecane:
Original post by Leipzig
Thanks guys! (double PRSOM, fail)

Crazy_emz, I may follow up on that in a week or two - no idea when the deadline is(?)

If you are interested in that type of role, Downing's doing the same... http://www.dow.cam.ac.uk/index.php/joining-downing/vacancies/196-sclo
Yay, hopefully the class lists page is done now, but it would be great if people could check it out just in case I missed something obvious: http://ccl.soc.srcf.net/test/
All the images are currently 2011 ones so they'll all work :smile: I'll probably add a link to the thread when it gets made closer to the time.
Original post by Zygroth
Yay, hopefully the class lists page is done now, but it would be great if people could check it out just in case I missed something obvious: http://ccl.soc.srcf.net/test/
All the images are currently 2011 ones so they'll all work :smile: I'll probably add a link to the thread when it gets made closer to the time.

Well I can confirm that the Raven authentication works. :tongue:
Original post by Zygroth

Is it just me or are most of the links struck-out instead of underlined?
Original post by Zhen Lin
Is it just me or are most of the links struck-out instead of underlined?

Hmm that's meant to indicate that the list isn't up yet, in preparation for when the site goes up (so the struck through links wont open anything). Seems it might be confusing though, might have to think of some other way of doing it...
Job offer, yay :biggrin:
Reply 8110
Original post by Crazy_emz

PRSOM!! In Chile?
PRSOM!! In Chile?

Indeed :smile: Language assistantship here I come :wink: Won't know what city for ages yet, but it's still very exciting :smile:

Congratulations! :woo: :biggrin:
Well done Emz :biggrin:

Fantastic! That must feel awesome :smile: How long are you hoping to work there for?
Original post by Chess Piece Face

Craggy: when I mentioned earlier my Cambridge access documentary you pointed me in the direction of the Media and Research Opportunities forum. But the 'sticky' thread in that forum that outlines the rules says that, when there's a more specific audience (in this case Cambridge applicants/offerholders/students/alumni), you can post elsewhere on TSR. Where in the Cambridge forums would I be able to post?

Hello again. Sorry for the confusion. It appears that this was one of those grey areas, so I needed to discuss with the team precisely what is allowed and when. It appears that you can post a survey in the University of Cambridge forum :smile: It has to be only one thread, though. No duplicates. Basically if your survey requires a specific audience (e.g. Cambridge students) then it is allowed to go in the designated forum. If its for anybody to fill out it has to go in Media and Research Opportunities.
Sorry for my mistake!
alex_hk90
x
Remember my complaint about the role of the IMF and World Bank in forcing OECD nations' agendas on emerging economies?
Just came across this article which illustrates the situation I was trying to describe very well: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/30/imperialism-didnt-end-international-law
Perhaps it will also be interesting to Crazy_emz, since its discussing the national interest behind UK/US involvement in foreign issues...
Reply 8117
So I just made a classic digital faux pas - instead of forwarding some-one information about a careers event I'm helping organise, I sent them a link to the youtube video I was watching at the time: "David Milliband tells world's worst joke".

LIFE FAIL. I should be banned from the internet.
Original post by Leipzig
So I just made a classic digital faux pas - instead of forwarding some-one information about a careers event I'm helping organise, I sent them a link to the youtube video I was watching at the time: "David Milliband tells world's worst joke".

LIFE FAIL. I should be banned from the internet.

:five:
Reply 8119
x

x

As I mentioned above, I've been roped into promoting a careers event for linguists (actually, I'm really happy to do it because I genuinely believe it's a great opportunity - working for the EU!). Do either of you know linguists who might be interesting in going into translation post-graduation? Or just looking for a job? If so, throw them my way :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending