The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alex_hk90
I'm very deadline driven when it comes to work. I'll do more or less nothing until it really gets desperate then go flat out and often end up finishing with time to spare. (Case in point: having the bulk of my dissertation to do and write with 2 weeks to go, then ending up finished with 3 days to spare.) Sometimes I wonder if I just like to challenge myself time-wise. :tongue:

This sounds a lot like my work practices!
I'm very deadline driven when it comes to work. I'll do more or less nothing until it really gets desperate then go flat out and often end up finishing with time to spare. (Case in point: having the bulk of my dissertation to do and write with 2 weeks to go, then ending up finished with 3 days to spare.) Sometimes I wonder if I just like to challenge myself time-wise. :tongue:

That's pretty similar to what I do, except I always use up every last bit of time I have, handing it in at the very minute it is due.
I'm in the middle, I always seem to end up with about 2 hours in hand. Hopefully that won't happen with this write up!
Original post by Zoedotdot
It was really good! We did have various criticisms that I think only a Russianist would have, but I'm almost certain that the reviewer won't be a Russianist so they won't pop up :p: It was really well staged, and the second act in particular was really excellent. I think it was actually more hampered by the Western audience than by itself, because sometimes people laughed where Russians wouldn't, and it must have been a huge challenge to try to convey the absolute devotion to the party without showing it to be a twisted devotion and somehow evil, bad or misguided. I think Russian sensibilities are very complex in that area, particularly when you start setting things in the era of the purges, and that's another undercurrent that the audience may not have appreciated in the same way that a Russian audience would.

Aye, I think that the actors worked that quite well. I really don't understand Russia at all - the more I read about it the less it makes sense! I thought that the play is interesting because the characters are all presented in a fairly sympathetic way. It's really about the difference between doing something because you think that it is right and doing something even though you know that it is wrong.

Other than that and the mangled pronunciation ('segodnia' is actually pronounced 'sevodnia', for reasons unknown to all of us, and 'Sergei' has the stress on the second syllable) it was really good! The little girl was amazing too. I was surprised you weren't on stage more though, it needed more music!

Can't remember where segodnia comes :p: Our singer was very concerned about his pronunciation and was convinced that he had got bits wrong last night. And Sergei was pronounced correctly the first time it was heard, just not for the rest of the play :p:

Music in theatre is always a nightmare, as it is always introduced once the actors have learned their lines and once the blocking has been done. So it is a case of fitting music to a scene, rather than having it integrated from the start. There are good reasons for this, but the upshot is that any music is difficult to introduce. The times when we did have music were effective, but I would have liked to have had more.

The play got 5*s from Varsity by the way :smile: Although TCS didn't like it so much.

http://www.varsity.co.uk/reviews/4736
Reply 8384
Original post by ukebert
Aye, I think that the actors worked that quite well. I really don't understand Russia at all - the more I read about it the less it makes sense! I thought that the play is interesting because the characters are all presented in a fairly sympathetic way. It's really about the difference between doing something because you think that it is right and doing something even though you know that it is wrong.

You've put your finger on exactly my problem with the play, and this probably comes down to the translated script as much as the staging. For me, the play suggested that there is such thing as a right and wrong, and that people knew what it was. I think what the original film suggests is a much more ambiguous reading of the era and touches upon the difficulty of distinguishing between or even establishing any such thing as right and wrong.

For me, it's all about the tumult of imperialism followed by revolution followed by Bolshevism followed by Stalinism and then leading into the bewildering era of the Purges. It's about how moral compasses become irrelevant when every day there is a new leader and a new set of values that are considered to be 'right'. One minute the tsar is considered to be practically a god on earth, and money brings status and power, and the next it's completely the other way around. And then a few years later, those people who were considered to be heroes of the revolution are suddenly being carted off to the gulag and to be shot because actually there is new evidence suggesting that they are spies. People don't know what is right and what is wrong, they are just trying to lead their every day lives in a world that is constantly changing for them.

I think that understanding concepts like that are fundamental to reaching a greater understanding of Russia and why it is the way it is. I haven't explained it very well really, but there is a constant tug between ideology and reality, but not one that necessarily indicates oppression (despite the Purges).

Anyway, I did enjoy the play, but I did feel that there were layers of meaning that were simplified, probably due to nobody having spent four years studying the country and one year living in it :p:

Music in theatre is always a nightmare, as it is always introduced once the actors have learned their lines and once the blocking has been done. So it is a case of fitting music to a scene, rather than having it integrated from the start. There are good reasons for this, but the upshot is that any music is difficult to introduce. The times when we did have music were effective, but I would have liked to have had more.

I find it really interesting that you say that actually, because the Russian play that I was working on last time was approached in a completely different way. The director insisted on the music being integral from the beginning, so it became very much part of the play in a way that the music didn't yesterday, for reasons you suggest! I think I've already said that the main character played the accordion, and it sort of became representative of his heart and an important part of his character. Several other characters also played instruments, and I think the music really did define the play (in the same way that music defines the film of Burnt by the Sun). To be fair though, our director was a hardened professional so probably has had years of working out how to translate music into performance.

I'm curious, was it an Italian song that was used as the motif? I had expected to hear the song of Burnt by the Sun more often, but there seemed to be some Italian singing going on potentially - we couldn't work it out!

The play got 5*s from Varsity by the way :smile: Although TCS didn't like it so much.

http://www.varsity.co.uk/reviews/4736

Oh man, I love the dig at the MML Russianists at the end. I can't work out whether they read it on here or overheard us shouting about it in the ADC bar yesterday :p:
You've put your finger on exactly my problem with the play, and this probably comes down to the translated script as much as the staging. For me, the play suggested that there is such thing as a right and wrong, and that people knew what it was. I think what the original film suggests is a much more ambiguous reading of the era and touches upon the difficulty of distinguishing between or even establishing any such thing as right and wrong.

For me, it's all about the tumult of imperialism followed by revolution followed by Bolshevism followed by Stalinism and then leading into the bewildering era of the Purges. It's about how moral compasses become irrelevant when every day there is a new leader and a new set of values that are considered to be 'right'. One minute the tsar is considered to be practically a god on earth, and money brings status and power, and the next it's completely the other way around. And then a few years later, those people who were considered to be heroes of the revolution are suddenly being carted off to the gulag and to be shot because actually there is new evidence suggesting that they are spies. People don't know what is right and what is wrong, they are just trying to lead their every day lives in a world that is constantly changing for them.

I think that understanding concepts like that are fundamental to reaching a greater understanding of Russia and why it is the way it is. I haven't explained it very well really, but there is a constant tug between ideology and reality, but not one that necessarily indicates oppression (despite the Purges).

Anyway, I did enjoy the play, but I did feel that there were layers of meaning that were simplified, probably due to nobody having spent four years studying the country and one year living in it :p:

Your last point is probably true! As I say, I find Russian history fascinating, but can't begin to understand it. At all.

I find it really interesting that you say that actually, because the Russian play that I was working on last time was approached in a completely different way. The director insisted on the music being integral from the beginning, so it became very much part of the play in a way that the music didn't yesterday, for reasons you suggest! I think I've already said that the main character played the accordion, and it sort of became representative of his heart and an important part of his character. Several other characters also played instruments, and I think the music really did define the play (in the same way that music defines the film of Burnt by the Sun). To be fair though, our director was a hardened professional so probably has had years of working out how to translate music into performance.

See this is what I would love to do. I'd love to approach a play with the music from the beginning, so that the music and the acting are inseparable. Essentially, I want a live film :p: The problem is time. There just aren't enough musicians in Cambridge willing to put in the time that this would take, there aren't enough directors willing to take on the challenge. If I had a few more years as a student I would try to get something together, do a late at the Playroom or something, but sadly I've run out of time :frown:

I'm curious, was it an Italian song that was used as the motif? I had expected to hear the song of Burnt by the Sun more often, but there seemed to be some Italian singing going on potentially - we couldn't work it out!

There was Burnt by the Sun at the beginning, Pesnya pionerov Sovets ogo Soyuza (which I am assured means "Pioneer's Song") came in every time we came on as Pioneers and there were two Italian pieces that were played when we were offstage. One was from Madam Butterfly (Puccini), the other is Di Provenza (Verdi).

Oh man, I love the dig at the MML Russianists at the end. I can't work out whether they read it on here or overheard us shouting about it in the ADC bar yesterday :p:

Could be either, probably this thread. There are a lot of lurkers, we know this :p:
Reply 8386
Original post by ukebert

See this is what I would love to do. I'd love to approach a play with the music from the beginning, so that the music and the acting are inseparable. Essentially, I want a live film :p: The problem is time. There just aren't enough musicians in Cambridge willing to put in the time that this would take, there aren't enough directors willing to take on the challenge. If I had a few more years as a student I would try to get something together, do a late at the Playroom or something, but sadly I've run out of time :frown:

This is why I wish you'd been able to see the Russian play! There was music in every scene, although it was sometimes recorded rather than live, but it played a big part in the mood and atmosphere of the play. Unfortunately the only clip that seems to have made it on to facebook is one with recorded music and is a pretty bizarre scene that won't make sense out of context. I think we were really lucky that we have so many talented Russianists - the number of people who play instruments to a high standard was unbelievable. We had two accordions, two violins, a flute and an oboe, and the music was arranged for these from a few recorded tracks by the main character (and accordionist). I really like plays where music is used effectively and you definitely don't see it a lot in Cambridge student theatre!

There was Burnt by the Sun at the beginning, Pesnya pionerov Sovets ogo Soyuza (which I am assured means "Pioneer's Song") came in every time we came on as Pioneers and there were two Italian pieces that were played when we were offstage. One was from Madam Butterfly (Puccini), the other is Di Provenza (Verdi).

Yes, that means 'Song of the Pioneers of the Soviet Union'. I think the Burnt by the Sun song is used a lot more in the film, but as the play was substantially shorter that probably explains it. When we heard the Italian songs come on we were like 'argh, is that meant to be Russian?' but thankfully it wasn't!!

Could be either, probably this thread. There are a lot of lurkers, we know this :p:

That was my first thought. Oh well. At least the scandal has been registered :p: I find it odd to be semi-quoted from what I post on here though...
This is why I wish you'd been able to see the Russian play! There was music in every scene, although it was sometimes recorded rather than live, but it played a big part in the mood and atmosphere of the play. Unfortunately the only clip that seems to have made it on to facebook is one with recorded music and is a pretty bizarre scene that won't make sense out of context. I think we were really lucky that we have so many talented Russianists - the number of people who play instruments to a high standard was unbelievable. We had two accordions, two violins, a flute and an oboe, and the music was arranged for these from a few recorded tracks by the main character (and accordionist). I really like plays where music is used effectively and you definitely don't see it a lot in Cambridge student theatre!

Sounds great! Yeah, I suppose I'm biased because the first play I ever played for was Silent Cannonfire (which we took to the fringe), which had music playing continuously. But even that wasn't quite what I wanted, as it was bent to fit the play, rather than being built around it. That was inevitable time constraints though. Maybe if I find a friendly director next year I can put something together.

Yes, that means 'Song of the Pioneers of the Soviet Union'. I think the Burnt by the Sun song is used a lot more in the film, but as the play was substantially shorter that probably explains it. When we heard the Italian songs come on we were like 'argh, is that meant to be Russian?' but thankfully it wasn't!!

Nah. The Puccini is because Puccini is mentioned quite a bit in the play and is sung by Mitia. The Verdi is an introduction to one of the characters who sings it. Don't worry, we didn't confuse Russian folk songs with Italian opera!
Reply 8388
And thus I win my bet with myself that I could get the Bad Horse song into an all-choir email...

Can'T stand ****ING weather meteorological nervous breakdown !!11 1 !AARGGGH!!!!11
Original post by lp386
And thus I win my bet with myself that I could get the Bad Horse song into an all-choir email...

PRSOM

Doctor Horrible 2 this summer... cannot wait :biggrin:
Original post by BigFudamental
Can'T stand ****ING weather meteorological nervous breakdown !!11 1 !AARGGGH!!!!11

:console: Say what?
:console: Say what?

Just googled "cambridge weather"....another week of rain and cloud to follow 5 weeks of rain and cloud.
At the moment it looks like we're going to get extremely wet on our Oxfam walk :frown:
Reply 8394
A May Week without sun is... unthinkable. Pffft.
Original post by Craghyrax
At the moment it looks like we're going to get extremely wet on our Oxfam walk :frown:

:frown: They may be wrong. With the right gear it shouldn't be a problem though.
Reply 8396
One of the Emma ducks has 9 ducklings :love: She takes them for a walk around the court I live in every morning. Don't want to leeeeave!
Original post by scarlet ibis
:frown: They may be wrong. With the right gear it shouldn't be a problem though.

I've been re-proofing our kit in preparation. My experience after Scotland, however, is that if it keeps raining relentlessly nothing can keep you dry.
Original post by Craghyrax
I've been re-proofing our kit in preparation. My experience after Scotland, however, is that if it keeps raining relentlessly nothing can keep you dry.

Current forecast is for rain the morning and dryer in the afternoon. fingers crossed
Original post by scarlet ibis
Current forecast is for rain the morning and dryer in the afternoon. fingers crossed

Yep. It worked out for the hen party, miraculously, so I'll hope for more of the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending