The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Topaz_eyes
He is really really irritating me at the moment... There have been a lot of emails with incorrect info in them. BF, if you're in 1B Maths / Physics, he's the guy who always sits at the front and asks questions.

Also, 4 questions?! Yes, if we were mathmos who got alphas/betas, sure, but the first marks are the easiest. GRRR.

Maybe it is because (from what I heard) he was a mathmo last year so is confused as to how your maths exams are marked. Doesn't matter though, if he does 4 questions and the rest of you do 6 he is going to lose out :tongue: good luck for the rest of them anyway
Original post by BigFudamental
Goodness me there are some unprofessional emails from Cambridge faculty going around. One by the 1B physics faculty rep who decided to tell the whole of 1B NST maths that he recommends only attempting four out of the mandatory six questions in order to get a first, followed by another from the maths rep telling people that faculty reps have no business telling people how to sit exams and that this is not a generally advisable strategy. All this on the day before the exam. What are these people thinking?

So to clarify - Indranil (physics rep) was mentioning that as an absolute minimum...but it's basically best to just completely ignore him.

The maths rep's emails (Elisabeth) were....well...a joke. At Idranil's expense. Apart from the one serious one. She does however really like cats, true story.

Indranil is just really good at pissing people off. "ARE YOU GUYS KEEN TO LEARN MORE PHYSICS?" "no Indranil, just no. Also, stop asking stupid questions in lectures. please"

Also, no admin person in the department, just an automatic forwarding system so that the department don't have to give the reps everyone's emails individually. (Data protection stuff)
He is really really irritating me at the moment... There have been a lot of emails with incorrect info in them. BF, if you're in 1B Maths / Physics, he's the guy who always sits at the front and asks questions.

I don't do physics, only maths, so thankfully I've been spared most of the emails, but yes I know who he is. Most of the time it seems he's sort of half talking to himself / half to whoever is sitting near him in lectures...

Original post by The Mr Z

Also, no admin person in the department, just an automatic forwarding system so that the department don't have to give the reps everyone's emails individually. (Data protection stuff)

That would explain why the admin person "wrote" exactly the same generic preface for the initial email by the physics rep and the subsequent rebuttal by the maths rep.
Original post by BigFudamental
I don't do physics, only maths, so thankfully I've been spared most of the emails, but yes I know who he is. Most of the time it seems he's sort of half talking to himself / half to whoever is sitting near him in lectures...

That would explain why the admin person "wrote" exactly the same generic preface for the initial email by the physics rep and the subsequent rebuttal by the maths rep.

I believe the emails have been going out through the physics mailing list mostly - there isn't a maths mailing list as far as I'm aware. You probably just deleted most of them as spam.

Unless they just found a maths mailing list today, which would explain why you're complaining today and I haven't had any emails today.

But long and short, ignore Indranil.

I had the misfortune to have him as a physics practical partner one time...he was atrocious.
Given such opprobrium, I'm surprised no-one ran a counter-campaign when the faculty reps were being elected! :tongue:
Original post by Zhen Lin
Given such opprobrium, I'm surprised no-one ran a counter-campaign when the faculty reps were being elected! :tongue:

He was the only person who ran. He also ran for Physics B rep, and we voted for the other guy :tongue:
I believe the emails have been going out through the physics mailing list mostly - there isn't a maths mailing list as far as I'm aware. You probably just deleted most of them as spam.

Unless they just found a maths mailing list today, which would explain why you're complaining today and I haven't had any emails today.

But long and short, ignore Indranil.

I had the misfortune to have him as a physics practical partner one time...he was atrocious.

I would say this is bordering on cyber-bullying (if he reads this forum) :tongue:
Original post by Zhen Lin

Unfortunately we didn't know he was running until applications closed, so he was unopposed and we weren't offered a RON.
Also it was early in the year so we didn't know just HOW BAD he was going to be!

Original post by ukdragon37
I would say this is bordering on cyber-bullying (if he reads this forum) :tongue:

I'd say constructive feedback. Also I have no knowledge of whether or not he's reading it, so it's not, it's just bitching online.

The email reply he got when someone finally snapped might be considered cyber-bullying.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd say constructive feedback. Also I have no knowledge of whether or not he's reading it, so it's not, it's just bitching online.

The email reply he got when someone finally snapped might be considered cyber-bullying.

I'm just kidding :tongue: Although it could just be that he's a bit... special (which you get quite frequently in Cambridge of all places) so I wouldn't judge him too harshly.
Reply 8529
The maths reps are really good in comparison (and not just because one of them has the power to ban me on TSR...)
He was the only person who ran. He also ran for Physics B rep, and we voted for the other guy :tongue:

There should be some kind of quorum (well, not quorum, but minimum number of people voting, I just don't know the word for that :tongue:).
Reply 8531
This does remind me of when I was in second year and one of my supervisors actually didn't know how the questions would be weighted on the exam, and told me incorrectly- I was told to spend an hour on one of the questions and 40 minutes on each of the other 3 when it should have been 45 minutes each. Fortunately, my other supervisor took this up with the faculty and we got an official message explaining...
Next week I'm off to France with my family (well, some of them) but I need to return early from the trip to attend a funeral, so I've booked a flight back from Dinard, the other side of Brittany from where we are staying. I can easily get a train from the holiday house to St Malo, but then I have to cross the River Rance to get to Dinard Airport. Now, there are no buses from St Malo to the airport, about 10km away. But it's such a lovely part of the world that I thought I might walk the distance from one to the other. The route would take me across the amazing Rance Tidal Barrage (huge tidal power plant with a visitor centre)and along some pretty coastline, before I swing inland to walk about 3km to the airport. I will only have hand luggage since my dad is driving back to the UK with the rest of my stuff. I've not done any hiking in France before, but 10km would be an easy distance for me. Is this a completely mad plan, I wonder?

Of course my other option is to get a taxi, but that would be a bit dull!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8533
Cambridge is so beautiful in sunny weather! I can't possibly feel stressed when it's so pretty outside :biggrin:
Original post by scarlet ibis
Next week I'm off to France with my family (well, some of them) but I need to return early from the trip to attend a funeral, so I've booked a flight back from Dinard, the other side of Brittany from where we are staying. I can easily get a train from the holiday house to St Malo, but then I have to cross the River Rance to get to Dinard Airport. Now, there are no buses from St Malo to the airport, about 10km away. But it's such a lovely part of the world that I thought I might walk the distance from one to the other. The route would take me across the amazing Rance Tidal Barrage (huge tidal power plant with a visitor centre)and along some pretty coastline, before I swing inland to walk about 3km to the airport. I will only have hand luggage since my dad is driving back to the UK with the rest of my stuff. I've not done any hiking in France before, but 10km would be an easy distance for me. Is this a completely mad plan, I wonder?

Sounds awesome!
Original post by ukebert
Sounds awesome!

Yeah, but there's lots of potential for things to go wrong :frown:
Main one being that my train would get in to St Malo at 8:30 am and my flight's at noon, so while I *could* get there in time it relies on everything going as planned and me not getting lost!
Yeah, but there's lots of potential for things to go wrong :frown:
Main one being that my train would get in to St Malo at 8:30 am and my flight's at noon, so while I *could* get there in time it relies on everything going as planned and me not getting lost!

Ah. OK, so doable if you don't get lost, but getting lost might be a disaster. Do you have a decent (i.e. OS equivalent) map of the area? Try looking at the satellite pictures on google maps, might help you not get lost when you're down there. Then there's hitching if things go wrong, although there are problems with that obviously. Hmm. I now see the quandary!
Original post by ukebert
Ah. OK, so doable if you don't get lost, but getting lost might be a disaster. Do you have a decent (i.e. OS equivalent) map of the area? Try looking at the satellite pictures on google maps, might help you not get lost when you're down there. Then there's hitching if things go wrong, although there are problems with that obviously. Hmm. I now see the quandary!

If I decide to go ahead with it, I will buy the relevant map. It would be mostly along the GR34 route so well-travelled and mapped I expect. Seems a shame to miss out on seeing the area, so I might try a compromise and look around the town for a bit then get a taxi. But then I wouldn't see the Rance Barrier and its huge lock etc.
I wouldn't risk it because I'd be too stressed to enjoy it. But I understand the temptation!

Make sure that this is the kind of airport that is even accessible on foot. I'm not sure how easy it would be to walk up to Heathrow, for example.

Latest

Trending

Trending