The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Melz0r
Wasn't it a European Court of Human Rights ruling? Something from Europe anyway. Damn-blasted Europeans.

is that the eu flag i see there, on the top right hand corner.
Original post by Y__
Was stuck on the Cambridge-London Kings Cross train on Monday for an hour, and nobody knew what was going on since the train intercom wasn't loud enough. Consequently missed two of my connections at St Pancras and decided to go to Victoria by tube to catch a train to Gatwick from there. Tube was absolutely packed and terribly hot as well, and the train to Gatwick was so crowded that I didn't have to make any effort in order to avoid falling over, there was 'human support' all around me anyways.

Still, I suppose it could have been worse: The train was passing some London stations where hundreds of people were stranded waiting for trains. Apparently a bit of rain and a lightning are enough to nearly shut down the railway network in London?

wrong type of sun, wrong type of leaves, wrong type of snow, wrong type of rain ....
Original post by Melz0r
Wasn't it a European Court of Human Rights ruling? Something from Europe anyway. Damn-blasted Europeans.

No it's not, it's the Court of Justice of the European Union - it's not the same thing. In fact, the body has absolutely nothing to do with the ECtHR and completely different membership and powers.

It's extremely unfortunate that the media always conflates the two. The European Court of Human Rights is much wider, it includes 47 states. The CJEU is the judicial body of the European Union, ruling on matters such as harmonisation of movement of persons and provision of services, and the movement of goods.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Hopefully it's long enough so that I'm old enough to not have to pay through the roof whatever! Car insurance is horrible :frown:
Maybe you should bring a case saying they shouldn't discriminate on age.

Edit: It would probably be cheaper..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 904
Original post by The West Wing
No it's not, it's the Court of Justice of the European Union - it's not the same thing. In fact, the body has absolutely nothing to do with the ECtHR and completely different membership and powers.

It's extremely unfortunate that the media always conflates the two. The European Court of Human Rights is much wider, it includes 47 states. The CJEU is the judicial body of the European Union, ruling on matters such as harmonisation of movement of persons and provision of services, and the movement of goods.

Cool, well now I know!
Reply 905
Original post by hermaphrodite
is that the eu flag i see there, on the top right hand corner.

I were jokin', officer.
Reply 906
Original post by alex_hk90
Anyone who knows anything about Cambridge will know that a 2.2 here is a lot better than a 2.2 elsewhere, as good as and maybe even better than a 2.1 from some other unis. I remember reading that a few years back our Faculty compared the absolute levels of performance of students here to those elsewhere and found that the standard for a 2.1 here was at least as high as for a 1st elsewhere. This makes quite a lot of sense if you think that pretty much everyone who might have been good enough to come here were probably rejected to end up elsewhere, so it's a bit odd if they then go on to do better than most of those were were accepted here.

I hear this argument a lot and, having spent a year at another university, I think drawing comparisons of this kind are a little simplistic. Yes, no Cambridge university student would struggle at another university, but neither do I feel like an academic God among mere mortals here... it's not that the courses are overly demanding, I just have to juggle studies with a lot of other considerations (work, accommodation, bureaucracy, etc) which I didn't have before.

What I'm saying, basically, is that we're good but I don't like the assumption that we're inherently the best. We're not exactly comparing like with like.

EDIT: Ukebert, I don't mean to imply that your 2.2 = a 2.2 from Anglia Ruskin (to pick a uni at random). But I think you would be the first to admit you have been heavily involved with other commitments that took time away from your degree...? I know that's been a factor in my grades at uni as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
:ditto:
Can any Queens students tell me whether there's wireless in Cripps court accommodation? I'm working at a summer school, and I'm pretty sure we'll be in Cripps, although the organiser couldn't remember exactly when I asked. We'll be in en suite rooms.
Original post by Leipzig
I hear this argument a lot and, having spent a year at another university, I think drawing comparisons of this kind are a little simplistic. Yes, no Cambridge university student would struggle at another university, but neither do I feel like an academic God among mere mortals here... it's not that the courses are overly demanding, I just have to juggle studies with a lot of other considerations (work, accommodation, bureaucracy, etc) which I didn't have before.

I more or less agree.

Original post by Leipzig
What I'm saying, basically, is that we're good but I don't like the assumption that we're inherently the best. We're not exactly comparing like with like.

Given the information at 18, we were the best, but yes things do change and after 3 years others may be better or vice-versa.
Original post by ukebert
Want to hear something depressing? When I was at school I was the top of every class, just like most Cambridge students. I got the highest marks in Maths and Physics at A level and won prizes every year at school.

I have just realised that I got the worst result of anyone I know from my home for my degree. People that I constantly out-performed are getting firsts and 2:1s and I get a 2:2. A good friend of mine went to Bristol to do Chemistry, got a third in the second year, switched to Surrey and has now graduated with a 2:1. People who got Bs rather than As at A level are graduating with 2:1s. Another friend, who did similar subjects to me is probably going to get a 1st in Engineering and turned down a job at Rolls Royce for one at Airbus.

This bothers me. I feel like if I had left Cambridge after first year and gone somewhere different then I could have got a 2:1. Now this was never going to happen (far too stubborn for that), but the fact that this could happen makes me cross. And depressed.

Snap. Just met up with all my home friends yesterday, and (even though I don't have my grades yet, I'm 100% certain that I'm getting a 2.2 at most, and most likely a 3rd) - all of them have done better than me pretty much. All of my friends have gotten 2.1's or 1sts, and what makes it worse is when I told them that I'll be getting a 2.2 at most, they were all "Don't be ridiculous, you did amazingly at school, and always did better than all of us! If we can get a 2.1s/1sts, you'll definitely be getting a 1st"

Sometimes I do wish I'd just gone to an easier university :o: Hey ho. Just got to work even more next year I guess :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 911
Original post by Craghyrax
Can any Queens students tell me whether there's wireless in Cripps court accommodation? I'm working at a summer school, and I'm pretty sure we'll be in Cripps, although the organiser couldn't remember exactly when I asked. We'll be in en suite rooms.

En Suite rooms:
Some of Cripps. No wireless for Cripps as such, but if you're near the bar you might be able to get some.
Fisher: No chance of wireless
Erasmus: If you're in the right room you can pick up the library's wireless (maybe three or four of these rooms total though).

Why do you need wireless anyway? We have awesome wired internet. (But that may be quite expensive for you. Queens' does like charging people for everything).
Original post by Y__
Was stuck on the Cambridge-London Kings Cross train on Monday for an hour, and nobody knew what was going on since the train intercom wasn't loud enough. Consequently missed two of my connections at St Pancras and decided to go to Victoria by tube to catch a train to Gatwick from there. Tube was absolutely packed and terribly hot as well, and the train to Gatwick was so crowded that I didn't have to make any effort in order to avoid falling over, there was 'human support' all around me anyways.

Still, I suppose it could have been worse: The train was passing some London stations where hundreds of people were stranded waiting for trains. Apparently a bit of rain and a lightning are enough to nearly shut down the railway network in London?

I had a very similar issue on Tuesday.

Got on a 12.45 train from Cambridge to Kings Cross. Train arrived at Kings Cross at 16.15! We were on the train for three and a half hours due to 'a direct lightning strike' on some signals. Grrr :mad:
Reply 913
Original post by brimstone
I had a very similar issue on Tuesday.

Got on a 12.45 train from Cambridge to Kings Cross. Train arrived at Kings Cross at 16.15! We were on the train for three and a half hours due to 'a direct lightning strike' on some signals. Grrr :mad:

Ouch! I feel really grateful for my 2 hour-journey now. 3.5 hours and I would have missed my flight (new tickets at such short notice being around 300 GBP...) .

The reason that I took the train in the first place was that I was worried the coach might get stuck in a traffic jam :tongue: ...
Original post by Y__
The reason that I took the train in the first place was that I was worried the coach might get stuck in a traffic jam :tongue: ...

Never happened to me. I've taken the coach more than a dozen times. Admittedly, a 3–4 hour journey to Heathrow isn't the most pleasant thing...
Reply 915
Original post by Leipzig
EDIT: Ukebert, I don't mean to imply that your 2.2 = a 2.2 from Anglia Ruskin (to pick a uni at random). But I think you would be the first to admit you have been heavily involved with other commitments that took time away from your degree...? I know that's been a factor in my grades at uni as well.

I'm not sure that it's even that. I think that most of it is down to 8 week terms. Most other universities have 12 week terms and the Cambridge degrees are definitely at least of the same standard as those of other universites (and arguably are more challenging). So this means that we do all of the work in 75% of the time. I think that it's this more than extra-curricular stuff which has made me collapse. The work is relentless and huge and I couldn't cope.

Original post by Sockpirate
Snap. Just met up with all my home friends yesterday, and (even though I don't have my grades yet, I'm 100% certain that I'm getting a 2.2 at most, and most likely a 3rd) - all of them have done better than me pretty much. All of my friends have gotten 2.1's or 1sts, and what makes it worse is when I told them that I'll be getting a 2.2 at most, they were all "Don't be ridiculous, you did amazingly at school, and always did better than all of us! If we can get a 2.1s/1sts, you'll definitely be getting a 1st"

Sometimes I do wish I'd just gone to an easier university :o: Hey ho. Just got to work even more next year I guess :p:

Yep, sounds eerily familiar. My friends have now got used to the idea, but it took them a while and I don't think that any of them can understand how I could get a 2:2.

Ultimately, three years at Cambridge have made me hate my subject passionately and have destroyed any self-confidence that I had previously. I genuinely believe myself incapable of doing anything remotely technical. The only thing that I feel like I can make a stab at doing is my music, and even that I'm less than confident about.
Original post by Gesar
En Suite rooms:
Some of Cripps. No wireless for Cripps as such, but if you're near the bar you might be able to get some.
Fisher: No chance of wireless
Erasmus: If you're in the right room you can pick up the library's wireless (maybe three or four of these rooms total though).

Why do you need wireless anyway? We have awesome wired internet. (But that may be quite expensive for you. Queens' does like charging people for everything).

Thanks!
I don't need it per se, its just that I'll be working at a 4 day residential summer school. Its going to be full on and I'll be run off my feet most of the time, but when I do get time to put my feet up it would be nice to be able to have internet access. Its probably too much hassle to get set up for any other type of internet, and I doubt they'd offer it.
Last year when a summer school I worked at was held at Lucy Cav there was good eduroam and lapwing connection everywhere, so I could connect without any arrangements.
Ah well. I'll take the laptop in case, but will also take reading to do.
Packing up my room for the very last time is awfully depressing :frown:

Saw loads of people graduating when I went in to town - looked very confusing. In particular, all the parents (who were queuing) looked rather bemused.
Reply 918
Oh god. I just had 11 glasses of champagne at Tutor's Drinks, in order to get my money's worth. Error, I fear. I don't think I've ever been so drunk as I am at the moment. Though still typing correctly, at great time expense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 919
I snuck into the trinity graduation lunch today! 3 portions of salmon to me! =D

Latest

Trending

Trending