The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The West Wing
No it's not, it's the Court of Justice of the European Union - it's not the same thing. In fact, the body has absolutely nothing to do with the ECtHR and completely different membership and powers.

It's extremely unfortunate that the media always conflates the two. The European Court of Human Rights is much wider, it includes 47 states. The CJEU is the judicial body of the European Union, ruling on matters such as harmonisation of movement of persons and provision of services, and the movement of goods.

Words do not describe how depressed I am that I got a first in EU law yet didn't know half of that... That being said, I skipped all of the constitutional/history/foundations of the EU.

ukebert
I'm not sure that it's even that. I think that most of it is down to 8 week terms. Most other universities have 12 week terms and the Cambridge degrees are definitely at least of the same standard as those of other universites (and arguably are more challenging). So this means that we do all of the work in 75% of the time. I think that it's this more than extra-curricular stuff which has made me collapse. The work is relentless and huge and I couldn't cope.

Huge sympathy there. I reckon most of us would do better and be less stressed if we just had more time to do the work in. Someone told me the idea is the short, intense terms increases our learning ability. Somehow, I doubt this actually works. I definitely don't learn more, I just get more stressed and moany...

Even so, I think a 2.2 from Cambridge will still be looked on well :smile: My brother graduated from Cambridge with a 2.2 and he's a senior programmer in a games company. It's not the end of the world.
Original post by brimstone
Packing up my room for the very last time is awfully depressing :frown:

I'm about to have to do this. It is a little upsetting but I've got used to the idea that it's now the end - I have been here a while after all.
Reply 922
Slightly confused as to why every single article the published on the Guardian website about universities seems to include this picture of Emma. I mean, it's a lovely picture, but largely quite irrelevant to the articles it illustrates.
Reply 923
Original post by Zoedotdot
Slightly confused as to why every single article the published on the Guardian website about universities seems to include this picture of Emma. I mean, it's a lovely picture, but largely quite irrelevant to the articles it illustrates.

Yeah, it's weird, it's their stock photo of Cambridge. Either the picture editor went to Emma, or they're being all look-how-cool-and-unconventional-we-are-with-our-not-of-King's-Chapel-photo.
Reply 924
Original post by Craghyrax
Thanks!
I don't need it per se, its just that I'll be working at a 4 day residential summer school. Its going to be full on and I'll be run off my feet most of the time, but when I do get time to put my feet up it would be nice to be able to have internet access. Its probably too much hassle to get set up for any other type of internet, and I doubt they'd offer it.
Last year when a summer school I worked at was held at Lucy Cav there was good eduroam and lapwing connection everywhere, so I could connect without any arrangements.
Ah well. I'll take the laptop in case, but will also take reading to do.

You could always pop down to the bar. There are lots of sofas and wooden chairs - always enough to sit on your own during term time and so certainly enough to be comfortable out of term time.
Original post by gethsemane342

Huge sympathy there. I reckon most of us would do better and be less stressed if we just had more time to do the work in. Someone told me the idea is the short, intense terms increases our learning ability. Somehow, I doubt this actually works. I definitely don't learn more, I just get more stressed and moany...

Even so, I think a 2.2 from Cambridge will still be looked on well :smile: My brother graduated from Cambridge with a 2.2 and he's a senior programmer in a games company. It's not the end of the world.

:ditto: It was the worst thing about undergrad for me. I felt like a dog on a leash, unable to go into enough depth and to do things properly. Overall it was absolutely rubbish for my learning, and basically just prevented really going into my subjects as much as I wanted to. My MPhil has been so much fun in comparison. Essays were actually fun and I didn't have to sacrifice a decent social life in order to put in a satisfactory amount of reading for a change.
Original post by Zoedotdot

Its been annoying me for years, but particularly this year what with the number of those articles I've had to look up!

Original post by Gesar
You could always pop down to the bar. There are lots of sofas and wooden chairs - always enough to sit on your own during term time and so certainly enough to be comfortable out of term time.

Thanks! What are its opening times? Is it just a space you can walk in and out of any time?
Reply 926
Original post by Craghyrax

Thanks! What are its opening times? Is it just a space you can walk in and out of any time?

The actual drink serving is unlikely to happen outside of term time (unless there's an alumni event on), but the bar room itself is open from about 9am to 1am every day. If it ever isn't you can ask the Porters and they're obliged to open it for you. (And there are picnic benches behind the bar where you can almost certainly get wireless if you don't feel like going to the Porters).
Original post by Gesar
The actual drink serving is unlikely to happen outside of term time (unless there's an alumni event on), but the bar room itself is open from about 9am to 1am every day. If it ever isn't you can ask the Porters and they're obliged to open it for you. (And there are picnic benches behind the bar where you can almost certainly get wireless if you don't feel like going to the Porters).

Reply 928
Natsci IA is up on camsis.
Original post by Carolus
Natsci IA is up on camsis.

Ditto this, my friend texted me two minutes after I checked to say I should check RIGHT NOW.
I GOT A II! Thank god. So many nightmares last night. I am exceedingly happy and relieved. :o: Now to tell my parents I didn't get a 3rd, like I'd told them I probably was getting :biggrin:
Reply 931
Got a I, somehow. Now to try and convince my DoS to release the breakdowns.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sockpirate
I GOT A II! Thank god. So many nightmares last night. I am exceedingly happy and relieved. :o: Now to tell my parents I didn't get a 3rd, like I'd told them I probably was getting :biggrin:

Psht, I knew you wouldn't :smile: WELL DONE!

Original post by Carolus
I :smile: NOw to try and convince my DoS to release the breakdowns.

Ha, I'm very much waiting on that. Well done on your first!

(II for me.)
yayyy 2.1!

Good stuff

Now to start the booze up....hmmmm feels like Suicide Sunday all over again :p:
I was right in being told first year (NST 1A) doesn't count right?
Original post by Tomato_Soup1992
I was right in being told first year (NST 1A) doesn't count right?

Nothing counts and everything counts. Scores from individual years are never aggregated into an overall degree classification, you're just left with your class from each year individually. Conventionally people use their final year class as their degree class (unless they did really badly in final year I guess).
Reply 936
Before this year I had never got above a 2:2 in a Cambridge exam. This year I got a 2:1 in Operations Management and a 1st in Marketing. This makes me happy :smile:

Apart from that, I got 4 2:2s, 2 3rds and 2 fails, which is more my kind of level. Unfortunately my worst mark was in Vibration, which is a module which I understand better than the others, like better than the others and am consequently doing my project and three modules on next year...
Reply 937
I'm like all old and **** now. Damn.
Today feels like my first proper day of holiday :smile: The weather is just right for me: warm but not oppressively hot. I wandered around town with my boyfriend getting various bits of shopping and stuff done at a leisurely pace. It feels so nice to be done!
Original post by ukebert
Before this year I had never got above a 2:2 in a Cambridge exam. This year I got a 2:1 in Operations Management and a 1st in Marketing. This makes me happy :smile:

Apart from that, I got 4 2:2s, 2 3rds and 2 fails, which is more my kind of level. Unfortunately my worst mark was in Vibration, which is a module which I understand better than the others, like better than the others and am consequently doing my project and three modules on next year...

Congratulations :five:
Reply 939
Anyone know when the breakdown of the marks for IA Natsci is likely to be released on camsis?

Latest

Trending

Trending