The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by renaissancemensch

Does anybody know how one goes about acquiring that university VPN stuff that would allow me to pretend I'm still in Cambridge while I'm abroad? IIRC Zoedotdot did something like this and I'd appreciate any help; I don't understand the information on the University Computing Service website...

There's some step by step guides with pictures which explain it as simply as I could:
Guide (XP)
Guide (Vista)
Guide (Win7)
(Index of guides)
Reply 1001
Original post by alex_hk90
How are you finding the new album? Initially I was a bit disappointed with it but recently I think it might be growing on me. :smile:

I actually havent got the new one yet due to being broke, but from what I have heard it is a bit disappointing, plans is still my favourite and is what i put on repeat :smile:
Ugh! I woke up just in time to stop the bedder from throwing my food away!
The girl in the room next to me moved out, so I assumed it was ok to use her kitchen cupboard for food. Unbelievably, when I confronted the bedder she tried to have a go at me for daring to put food in a cupboard that wasn't mine, rather than being embarrassed about not having bothered to communicate with people on this floor that someone else would move in, and to check whether the food belonged to us :angry:
Original post by Craghyrax
Ugh! I woke up just in time to stop the bedder from throwing my food away!
The girl in the room next to me moved out, so I assumed it was ok to use her kitchen cupboard for food. Unbelievably, when I confronted the bedder she tried to have a go at me for daring to put food in a cupboard that wasn't mine, rather than being embarrassed about not having bothered to communicate with people on this floor that someone else would move in, and to check whether the food belonged to us :angry:

Do you not have a hostel keeper? We let ours just claim all the food and drink is his so nothing is thrown away by the bedders.
Original post by Katala
I actually havent got the new one yet due to being broke, but from what I have heard it is a bit disappointing, plans is still my favourite and is what i put on repeat :smile:

Plans is ridiculously good - Soul Meets Body, I Will Follow You Into The Dark, Someday You Will Be Loved and Crooked Teeth on the same album. :coma:
Do you not have a hostel keeper? We let ours just claim all the food and drink is his so nothing is thrown away by the bedders.

Well its not a hostel. I've never heard of a 'hostel keeper' at Peterhouse or Trinity Hall.
And no, I suspect that this bedder would throw food away even if a 'hostel keeper' had claimed that it was his. Her attitude was that it was in the cupboard of the person who left, therefore it was fair game. (the cupboards are marked with our room numbers). They weren't interested in checking first.
At Peterhouse we several times found the maintenance team taking stuff out of the fridge and cupboards and leaving it on the kitchen surface to spoil and not returning it after they'd finished. These guys really don't give a damn.
Well its not a hostel. I've never heard of a 'hostel keeper' at Peterhouse or Trinity Hall.

At Pembroke all of our off-site accommodation has a 'hostel keeper' (even if it's a house) who is usually a PhD student, lives in the nicest room of the house and is in charge of things like testing the fire alarms, putting out the rubbish, and has spare keys if you get locked out or something.

And no, I suspect that this bedder would throw food away even if a 'hostel keeper' had claimed that it was his. Her attitude was that it was in the cupboard of the person who left, therefore it was fair game. (the cupboards are marked with our room numbers). They weren't interested in checking first.

Oh right - our cupboards aren't marked - it's a bit of a free-for-all at the start of the year to claim cupboard space.

At Peterhouse we several times found the maintenance team taking stuff out of the fridge and cupboards and leaving it on the kitchen surface to spoil and not returning it after they'd finished. These guys really don't give a damn.

Things like this make me glad I was at Pembroke. :yep: That and that I had nice bedders.
Reply 1007
Plans is ridiculously good - Soul Meets Body, I Will Follow You Into The Dark, Someday You Will Be Loved and Crooked Teeth on the same album. :coma:

exactly those are some of my favourites :love: unfortunately i am embarrasingly ignorant on some of there other albums (most of my cds are donated by a friend :colondollar:) so feel free to suggest a few goodies to add to my ipod :smile:
Reply 1008
YA is finally go: flight booked, French university informed of time of arrival on a Doodle poll (!?). I love that, on the day that all the internationals are supposed to arrive, the office still shuts for an hour for lunch...
Yes, she did like my plan, and I know I should stop panicking as I have four months! I just feel crap for not having done anything at all since my plan (like two months ago) but my last month in Russia and first month here were both insanely busy so it's not surprising, I'm just worried that she won't understand.

Yeah, sadly no South America For several reasons really - I have no time to do my dissertation if I go, I have no-one to go with (it wouldn't usually be a huge barrier, but having spent a year essentially on my own I'd rather not do more travelling alone), I have no real plan and no particular aim in going and would rather wait to make a trip that I've planned thoroughly and am really excited about rather than spending the money because I have it, I have barely seen my family in over a year, and my sister is having a pretty major operation this week and I feel like they'll need me around over the summer while she's recovering because she's going to have pretty limited mobility for a few months so it's going to be tough on everyone. Just not a good time to be going anywhere I guess! Hopefully post-graduation some of my friends will be around instead of doing internships like this year and I'll have some people to go with

LOL! I wish!! Caius mathmos just seem to do really well...

Also I managed to lock my laptop in my housemates room yesterday and we don't have the key to it so we had to ring the agent and I'm worried they're going to charge us for it :o:

I have my tonsils out tomorrow!!! I'm excited mainly because this means I will never have tonsillitis again!!

Sorry I have been incredibly pants at replying (blame foreign uni problems and dissertations), but I hope that the operations went well!
And Zoe, better to wait for South America then - I can guarantee that you will love it when you get here though! Am off to Peru and Bolivia on Saturday :smile:

Originally Posted by alex_hk90
exactly those are some of my favourites :love: unfortunately i am embarrasingly ignorant on some of there other albums (most of my cds are donated by a friend ) so feel free to suggest a few goodies to add to my ipod

Ooooh, I love Death Cab for Cutie....try Transatlanticism, it's more similar in style to Plans than some of the other early albums (although I like the early ones too). And Narrow Stairs is good. The new album hasn't made much of an impression on me yet, I think I need to listen to it a bit more.

YA is finally go: flight booked, French university informed of time of arrival on a Doodle poll (!?). I love that, on the day that all the internationals are supposed to arrive, the office still shuts for an hour for lunch...

Be prepared for lots of pointless bureaucracy. And disorganisation. LOTS of disorganisation (my Year Abroad Uni has only just worked out the equivalence of Chilean credits to ECTS credits, after ELEVEN MONTHS, meaning that this whole year I wasn't sure that I was taking enough courses to satisfy Erasmus Mundus requirements. And then it turned out that Erasmus Mundus wanted 30 ECTS credits and I've taken 48. FORTY-EIGHT. Errr, that would be why I've been so stressed....at least I can actually do presentations in Spanish without notes now :P)
Original post by Katala
exactly those are some of my favourites :love: unfortunately i am embarrasingly ignorant on some of there other albums (most of my cds are donated by a friend :colondollar:) so feel free to suggest a few goodies to add to my ipod :smile:

*gets out Death Cab for Cutie CDs*
Working backwards by album -
Narrow Stairs: I Will Posses Your Heart, Grapevine Fires
Transatlanticism: The Sound of Settling, Tiny Vessels, Transatlanticism, We Looked Like Giants, A Lack of Color
The Photo Album: Information Travels Faster, Styrofoam Plates
Something About Airplanes: Pictures in an Exhibition, Amputations
I have two other CDs (We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes, and You Can Play These Songs With Chords) but without listening through them I don't remember which are the stand-out tracks.
Original post by aKarma
There's some step by step guides with pictures which explain it as simply as I could:
Guide (XP)
Guide (Vista)
Guide (Win7)
(Index of guides)

Thanks! I stupidly didn't come across these - I had previously only found something much less accessible.
Original post by Melz0r

I'm not joking when I say you're probably in a much better position than most YAers now. Seriously.
I'm excessively bored at home at the moment. Does anyone want to get a Skype chat group going? Please add me! (my username is my name with a hyphen separating my first and second names)
Original post by The West Wing
I'm excessively bored at home at the moment. Does anyone want to get a Skype chat group going? Please add me! (my username is my name with a hyphen separating my first and second names)

Perhaps tomorrow or some time later. Need to go to bed now :yawn:
Facebook is full of graduation photos. :frown: Then again, I never really knew most of them...
Reply 1016
I no longer remember what to do when I am not working, and I've only been at Cambridge for a year. I have already resorted to reading RHB in order to alleviate the symptoms.
Reply 1017
Original post by Zhen Lin
Facebook is full of graduation photos. :frown: Then again, I never really knew most of them...

I know what you mean. There are some groups that I look at and think 'oh, never mind', but then there are a lot where I feel definite pangs despite maybe not having spent much time with them because they've just always been around and it will be weird without them. And I am most sad about my four friends who are going - they'll all be in London anyway but it's definitely not the same :frown:
A couple of random Cambridgey questions:

1. How do we get our official transcripts? Do we have to order / pay for one and if so how do we do this?

2. A bit randomly, but do people at Girton and Homerton have to proceed to Senate House in the same way to get their degrees? It would be rather a trek if they did...
Reply 1019
A couple of random Cambridgey questions:

1. How do we get our official transcripts? Do we have to order / pay for one and if so how do we do this?

2. A bit randomly, but do people at Girton and Homerton have to proceed to Senate House in the same way to get their degrees? It would be rather a trek if they did...

Try your tutorial office first and foremost - they'll either be able to get it themselves or will know how. Our Registrar is so wonderful :love:

Latest

Trending

Trending