The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tortious
I don't really know. The letter I received was quite generic (I think) because the guy didn't know me, but he was a lawyer and turned out to be one of my dads, so I'm not sure in which capacity he was writing. I think my DoS is expecting us to write to the law freshers, but since some of them are likely to be in my family anyway (but I can't be sure since the JPC organises it) then I'll have to wait and see. I might Google/Facebook them first to decide which to write to... :colone:

Also, for what it's worth, I did a search the other day to find out whether SS was bluffing about the alerts when someone searches for her. I'm pretty sure she is. :p:

Google/Facebook won't work if they have generic names and no facebook :wink: Try searching my name - you get someone from Fame Academy!

How would your search prove that? She seemed pretty serious when she said it to me and, considering the context we were in, can't think of a reason for her to lie :wink: (Not that I think she lies.)
Original post by gethsemane342
Google/Facebook won't work if they have generic names and no facebook :wink: Try searching my name - you get someone from Fame Academy!

How would your search prove that? She seemed pretty serious when she said it to me and, considering the context we were in, can't think of a reason for her to lie :wink: (Not that I think she lies.)

Well, I did a search earlier today for something like "how can I find out who's Googling me?" and the consensus on the forums was that you can't. However, I think it might be possible. Do you watch "The Good Wife", by the way? :smile:
Well, I did a search earlier today for something like "how can I find out who's Googling me?" and the consensus on the forums was that you can't. However, I think it might be possible. Do you watch "The Good Wife", by the way? :smile:

Ha ha, why on earth did you google it? Ah well, I don't know. She's done a LOT of things in her life, it wouldn't surprise me if she found a way.

I don't. Never heard of it. Is it good?
Ha ha, why on earth did you google it? Ah well, I don't know. She's done a LOT of things in her life, it wouldn't surprise me if she found a way.

I don't. Never heard of it. Is it good?

Yeah, it's great. :love: It's a "legal drama", but it's actually about lawyers (an American law firm) as opposed to "Law & Order"-style detective work, if that makes sense. I Googled it because I was curious to see if it's possible; my dad tends to bluff about what's possible with ICT and it sounds like the kind of thing he'd say, so I thought I'd read up on it. :p:
Reply 1944
Original post by around
What I tend to find is that there's always one small but important item you forget (laptop charger, retainers, toothbrush, etc etc) which you have to get your parents to mail to you.

Maybe I shouldn't leave my packing to the last minute...

I have a SPECTACULAR ability to leave my razor in the shower, like ALWAYS. I even managed to leave one in the shower at CERN...
Yeah, it's great. :love: It's a "legal drama", but it's actually about lawyers (an American law firm) as opposed to "Law & Order"-style detective work, if that makes sense. I Googled it because I was curious to see if it's possible; my dad tends to bluff about what's possible with ICT and it sounds like the kind of thing he'd say, so I thought I'd read up on it. :p:

Ah, I'm not much for TV. I say this, I've gotten worryingly into Scrubs and Glee recently :colondollar: (Usually, I only watch Gilmore Girls regularly). I'm quite glad choice of TV programme doesn't come up on job application forms

Ah, fair play. I could have asked my brother really. He's a computer programmer and is great to have in Cambridge! (Last time I broke my laptop, I called him. 20 minutes later, I was in his house, he fixed it for free and his wife fed me cake. I love my brother :smile:)
Contra Tortious (are you Scottish or something?) I'd never come to Cambridge with only a hoodie for warmth. It gets freezing! I have a toasty ski jacket which is awesome :love:

However ironically I never had any packing woes. I stayed here the full three years which meant that all my earthly possessions were with me all the time. In fact the few years before I came up I moved just about every other month, so when I was a fresher I was thinking 'hooray I can finally settle in one place for a decent stretch'.

Original post by kpatb

My Cambridge experience will now be whole and complete - can't be at Cambridge without Fitzbillies!

QFT!
Reply 1947
Original post by Canned Door
You'd think, two years on, that I'd have learnt from my first fresher packing experiences. Moving to Germany, I definitely didn't pack enough clothes, completely forgot about bad weather conditions, but at least I brought about 50 Early Grey tea bags, a moka pot, all my CDs and a big pile of books! Oh, did I mention the spatulas and the tiny espresso cups? Three of them. But of course, I couldn't pack both my two-cup moka pot and my one-cup moka pot, so now I have a one-cup moka pot and two spare cups. Hmm.

You are properly mental - there are things called ipods and Starbucks these days :P

----

Also, am I a great-grandmother now (4th year)? If so, that's kinda scary...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1948
Original post by Craghyrax
Contra Tortious (are you Scottish or something?) I'd never come to Cambridge with only a hoodie for warmth. It gets freezing! I have a toasty ski jacket which is awesome :love:

I'm English, and never found Cambridge at all cold:p:
Normally considered a bit odd though...

Packing wise, I always did it the night before, never really had too many troubles!

However ironically I never had any packing woes. I stayed here the full three years which meant that all my earthly possessions were with me all the time. In fact the few years before I came up I moved just about every other month, so when I was a fresher I was thinking 'hooray I can finally settle in one place for a decent stretch'.

:lol:

No, but I am northern. The only reason I suggested not bringing as many as you think you'll need is in case you're planning to buy stash, so there's no need to pack all of them. Having said that, I think I was wearing about 4 layers at the coldest stage (actually in March!), including a ski jumper, so Craggy's suggestion to bring a ski jacket is pretty good if you've got one. :yes: Even if you haven't, you should get one anyway - it'd give you an excuse to go on Varsity. :mmm:

I haven't found packing too bad, with the exception of last term. I was offered storage space, but in my wisdom, declined and opted to haul all of my first year books home, only to have to take them back in October to sell to the freshers. :facepalm2: At least I'll know for next year... :rolleyes:

Don't listen to Craggy, it doesn't :smile: It's rare that I put a sweatshirt on in Cambridge, although I usually go out with a jacket. I do sometimes wear a sweatshirt in deepest winter, when there is snow on the ground, but otherwise it's nice and mild.
Original post by Slumpy
I'm English, and never found Cambridge at all cold:p:
Normally considered a bit odd though...

Packing wise, I always did it the night before, never really had too many troubles!

I can't cater for exceptions :p: And if you're a Northerner that will also change your perception.

Anyway, Cambridge need not be as cold as Edinburgh in winter for it still to be highly necessary to have proper winter coats at the very least! (For the average student).

Another point is that we're drier, but windier than other parts of England, and the wind we get is icy. Also the last two winters have been significantly colder than usual, as with the UK overall.

Original post by ukebert
Don't listen to Craggy, it doesn't :smile: It's rare that I put a sweatshirt on in Cambridge, although I usually go out with a jacket. I do sometimes wear a sweatshirt in deepest winter, when there is snow on the ground, but otherwise it's nice and mild.

Owen!!! You know that you are an exception :hmmm: The majority of the freshers will find it cold enough for winter coats.

Kids these days! :grumble:
(edited 12 years ago)
I never found Cambridge cold, but my building last year was very hot! My first night home after Michaelmas and I slept in a hoodie though...
There. Hard fact :judge:
Oh, hey, spotted this. Congrats on good subject AND college choice. I guess I'll almost certainly see you in October - I'm a third year lawyer at Christ's. You'll be able to recognise me as the lawyer who's trying to avoid making a fool of herself in front of everyone else and may be wearing a strange hat. Or as the accident-prone one. Any of these descriptions fit. Any questions, feel free to give me a shout (though you'll probably get a law sibling anyway. Everyone in that year's pretty nice so you'll be in good hands)

Am I? How do you know more about my college kids than I do?

Thanks!
Going on that description, 'strange hat/accident-prone' I'm assuming you're going to be pretty hard to miss:smile:. Third year eh? So 'Tortious' was right, you are old enough to be my grandmother:tongue:...

On a more general note and do forgive me for my naivety, how intense is the first year at Cambride, I mean is it straight into the deep end from the first week or is it a little bit more gradual? I don't mind either way, just a little curious.

Look forward to meeting you in person soon lool:biggrin:
Last winter was properly cold at a few points, though - like 10 below or something. First year, I was wearing t-shirts until I went home for Christmas.
Original post by nadz123456

On a more general note and do forgive me for my naivety, how intense is the first year at Cambride, I mean is it straight into the deep end from the first week or is it a little bit more gradual? I don't mind either way, just a little curious.

Its a lot of work, but how intense you find it is down to your personality to a large degree. Some people adjust after the first term, some after the first year. In Arts subjects it can vary a lot according to how conscientious/perfectionistic a person is. On my course, people who wanted to do the bare minimum to get their 2.1 often had a pretty easy time of things (although still several times the workload you get for the same subject at other Unies). Whereas people who were properly into the subject would put more time in. Or choose harder papers for interest rather than easy ones for marks/laziness.
Sciences are going to be tough whichever way you spin it. But again there is a lot of variety in how individuals experience it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1957
kpatb

My Cambridge experience will now be whole and complete - can't be at Cambridge without Fitzbillies!

QFT!

Why thank you. :cool:

(Also, I am going to be investing in all the warm clothing I can get. The only things I have bought so far for university are 3 coat/jacket-y things. Brrr Cambridge was FREEZING when I went for interview.)
Reply 1958
Original post by Athena
Can anyone translate this for me?

Oi querida,

Como está hoje? Eu me sinto como se comunicar com você, meu nome é Miss Leonie única por estado civil, É o meu prazer com o devido respeito para cultivar uma amizade saudável com você com desde que eu fiquei impressionado com o seu perfil. Tenho grande interesse em fazer novos amigos, meus hobbies são ler, viajar, nadar e dançar.

Hoje eu encontrei o seu ID e-mail no www.retrovirology.com então eu aproveitei a oportunidade de escrever para você como eu realmente quero que sejamos bons amigos, e eu aprecio isso, se podemos pode ser grande amigo.

Vou mandar minha foto, pelo menos, para você ver que está escrevendo a you.I gosto de você entrar em contato comigo para trás, assim que eu vou lhe dar uma explicação completa sobre mim, e as razões ea finalidade eu tenho contato com você.

Sinta-se livre para me escrever de volta ([email protected])

Atenciosamente,
Leonie

Guessing from Spanish (and a very rough translation)

Hi dear,

I feel like talking to you, my name is Miss Leonie, I'm single, and with respect I want to cultivate a (healthy?) friendship with you because I was impressed with your profile. I am really interested in making new friends, my hobbies are reading, travelling, swimming and dancing.

Today I found your email address on www.retrovirology.com so I took the opportunity to write to you as I really want to be good friends with you, and I hope/think(?) that we can become good friends.

I will send you my picture, (don't know this phrase, but in Spanish it means 'hair minus' so I'm guessing it's not the same :p:), so you can see who is writing to you. I would like you to enter into contact with me back, so that I can give a complete explanation about myself and the reasons I am in contact with you.

Feel free to write back

Yours,
Leonie

That's the gist at least! I've never learnt a word of Portuguese, but I could make an approximation at about 80% of those words :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Who the hell starts playing loud music and ??? what sounds like someone speaking on a microphone at 1 in the morning? I'd swear someone had opened a jazz bar.

Latest

Trending

Trending